Dolphins forfeit 2023 1st + 2024 3rd, Owner Stephen Ross suspended and fined $1.5M for "violating the integrity of the game"

RaidersAreOne

I'm interested in knowing if the communications came directly from Ross.  If so, then he alone should have been punished.  The loss of picks is absurd (and unprecedented) anyway, but it's even more egregious if Ross was the lone wolf there.  Obviously if other FO personnel were involved, it makes more sense from a team penalty standpoint.

2 hours ago, JourneymanQB13 said:

This feels a lot like the NFL attempting to disrupt the news cycle after the Watson decision. I would imagine the Dolphins weren't the only team to "tamper" with Brady during his free agency. 

I definitely think NFL knew what they were going to do and sat on it just in case the Watson decision was unfavorable. It doesn't lessen the clubs culpability for tampering and despite the NFL praising him I highly doubt Flores' motivation was "integrity of the game" since he waited till after he was let go to go public. 

I have faith the coaches can keep it from being a distraction. 

Edited by Phinsesq
  • Like 1

This is an ENOURMOUS penalty.  A first and third round pick for "Tampering", plus $2mil in fines?????  ABSURD!!!!!!  The Patriots were caught filming the Browns play calls and signals (and that wasn't their first offense of this) and only forfeited a single 3rd round pick and fined $1.1mil.  It's not like Tom Brady or Coach Payton are Dolphins, WTF!!!!  "Tampering" has been so commonplace for so long that the league even created a "legal tampering period" years ago.  A first-round pick for talking to a player that had announced his retirement, and a third-round pick for the same with a Coach?  IMO this is a load of biased BULLCRAP!!!

Thanks Brian Flores, you whiny piece of garbage!!!!!  AND, Thanks "massage therapist" hookers that wanted more money from Deshaun Watson.

Edited by Swampbilly

so this is how it feels to be a scapegoat.

I'll just quote myself from the News thread...

On 8/2/2022 at 12:29 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

Worst part of this news by far is that Ross isn't being forced to sell the team. It's a bigger "F YOU" to the fans than it is a punishment for any of the people involved.

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

so this is how it feels to be a scapegoat.

I'll just quote myself from the News thread...

Miami isn't really being scapegoated in my opinion, though the timing reeks of calculated distraction. It was pretty blatant tampering. Ross knows the punishment could have been much worse, or else he would be suing. Billionaires don't roll over. It is an embarrassment to the organization, but nothing we as fans need to internalize. At the end of the day it is the players and to some extent coaches we watch. 

We have another 1st next year, and I am optimistic that we will be happy with Tua at the end of the season. Some of us anyway. 

In some alternate universe there are poor Dolphins fans that have to endure the Dolphins trading for Watson and the tampering allegations. We dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phinsesq said:

Miami isn't really being scapegoated in my opinion, though the timing reeks of calculated distraction. It was pretty blatant tampering. Ross knows the punishment could have been much worse, or else he would be suing. Billionaires don't roll over. It is an embarrassment to the organization, but nothing we as fans need to internalize. At the end of the day it is the players and to some extent coaches we watch. 

We have another 1st next year, and I am optimistic that we will be happy with Tua at the end of the season. Some of us anyway. 

In some alternate universe there are poor Dolphins fans that have to endure the Dolphins trading for Watson and the tampering allegations. We dodged a bullet.

We're a scapegoat for the Watson controversy.

2 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

the timing yes. the infraction in my opinion no doubt "we" committed. 

Yes, we certainly committed the infraction……but so did Tampa Bay.  Bruce Arians basically admitted it.  Every team in the league tampers to some degree nearly every season.  To get penalized so harshly for tampering is comparable to getting thrown in jail for driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit on the interstate.  Everyone is doing it, but you got caught and singled out for it, so you get a speeding ticket…….but this time you get thrown in jail for 30 days instead.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/02/why-werent-the-dolphins-tampering-penalties-more-significant/

On 8/7/2022 at 9:43 AM, Deadeye said:

This isn't about the tampering, it's about the tanking. They won't say it because it harms the perception of the league for them to "admit" that tanking takes place.

I think there is some naivety with all the theories that this is really about the Tanking.  The most plausible theory I'm aware of is the one JourneyManQB13 posted about an attempt to break the Deshaun Watson news cycle.  Reason I say this is because nothing the NFL did with penalizing us is going to prevent any other team from tanking in the future.... also, it was commonly accepted that we were tanking prior to the start of the season and ALL the odds makers had that written in, so it didn't affect Vegas....and Tanking doesn't hurt the long-term profits of the league.  In fact, tanking seriously helped the Bengals and promoted competitiveness in their division within 2-3 years.  The NFL is a business which is only concerned with the profits, and tanking doesn't hurt their profits overall, but the Deshaun Watson narrative could. 

The NFL wants us to think they really penalized us for tanking even though they can't prove it, but what the NFL really wants is to make news significant enough to break the media off of Deshaun Watson for a while (that's what I think anyways).