Hard Knocks / Training Camp

bucsfan333

38 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Good. Whoever starts at SAM is only gonna play about 35% of the time. But that's still about 400 snaps. I didn't get the pick at the time (or the trade up), but it makes sense now. We need a thumper and that's exactly what Beckwith is. Bond better step up his game if he wants to see the field.

Curious to see if there will be more 3-4 alignments on 3rd down.  Interested to see how Bond or Beckwith would fit in this potential personnel package especially if Smith isn't ready.  

45 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

It's good to hear Ayers and McCoy are dominating. Spence was almost unblockable today too. Our dline might actually be good this year.

They were good last year. Ayers just suffered an injury very early in the season and didn't get it going until halfway through. If healthy the Bucs can have a stout defense this year because Baker provides pass rush next to McCoy. In addition, we've seen what Spence can do with one arm so I have high expectations for this DL in particular.

Beckwith is here for obvious running situations and/or play SAM. If you all don't recall last year, second Saints game. It was about third and two; the Saints were trying to run the clock out to ice the game. David comes in the backfield clean and whiffs on Hightower and they pick up first down to win the game. A bigger ILB stuffs that play and Winston has a chance to extend the game into regulation. Key moments like that, and a couple plays from DAL we really could use some size in the pile.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Curious to see if there will be more 3-4 alignments on 3rd down.  Interested to see how Bond or Beckwith would fit in this potential personnel package especially if Smith isn't ready.  

Bond was an EDGE in college. He's just really undersized. Beckwith would be an obvious ILB. But it would be hard to justify taking Kwon/David out.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

It's good to hear Ayers and McCoy are dominating. Spence was almost unblockable today too. Our dline might actually be good this year.

Ayers was exactly what this line needed.

Ayers, McCoy, Baker, Spence should be deadly. 

Question: Besides Winston and Evans who do you think could have a fantasy football impact this season?

Answer: Cameron Brate. I am far from a fantasy expert, but I know what I see on the field, and nearly every practice, 15 minutes after the rest of the team is done, Winston and Brate are working on red zone routes. And sometimes it is other joining in, but you can almost always count on No. 84 being a part of it. Evans will get his share of looks – and touchdowns as well – but despite the Bucs spending a first round pick on a tight end, it is the undrafted Harvard grad that Winston has a tremendous chemistry with and that should equate to Brate matching, or even exceeding, his touchdown reception number (8) from last season.

I love it. I read something a while ago that said the same thing. If Howard wants to move up the target list, he's gonna have to earn it.

22 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I love it. I read something a while ago that said the same thing. If Howard wants to move up the target list, he's gonna have to earn it.

Just like when Evans arrived he was fed the rock even with a very good vet like Jackson around. Both Brate and Howard will be big for the team this year. I posted in the rookie thread I don't see Howard ever leaving the field this season. From day one I think Howard will be fed.

I do think Beckwith will win the SAM position.  I think he'll get a lot of time at MLB in preseason to be the backup to Kwon.   Going to be tough to keep him off the field if he is healthy for a 3rd day draft pick who didn't play last year.  I'm hoping to see Bobo Wilson do well, maybe add some juice to special teams. 

Also, Ryan Russell has been getting a lot of first team reps opposite Spence. And he's been impressive. If Jacky Smith can ever get healthy, we might have a solid trio of speed rushers. Bond has looked good rushing too.

I think we've got a decent enough group to mix in 3/4 looks without getting destroyed. We've got the size on the dline and the speed on the outside. And Kwon, David, and Beckwith can all play the middle.

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I just hope there is consistency whoever wins the job.  The offense is going to move the ball hopefully the red zone for the offense will be better this year.

I think we had the fewest three and outs last season. I would hope we can continue that this year with all these weapons and revamped oline. Just gotta figure out that redzone offense, like you said.

23 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think we had the fewest three and outs last season. I would hope we can continue that this year with all these weapons and revamped oline. Just gotta figure out that redzone offense, like you said.

Agreed, that's what made Anger such a weapon by getting near midfield most times giving him a chance to pin teams deep.  I think the addition of Howard is crucial in the red zone.   Not necessarily with more targets then other guys, but being able to stay in 2 TEs inside the 20 allows them to go against base defenses more, which should allow for match up problems in the passing game.  If a team wants to go to  nickel, very advantageous to run the ball.

Archived