Most people on this forum eat bad food

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

lol we've heard about the kids your coaching and their parents and know exactly why your heart rate is through the roof. If that was me, I'd have a SmartWatch dialing 911 for me automatically by the 2nd quarter out of concern for my life.

But to take your funny story and then be the buzzkill to stick a moral on it, yeah that's just good dieting. I'm not surprised we both found fasting, it uses our strengths like focus and passion for something. Dietary science is like 25% actual biochemical reality, 25% culture, 25% inter-personal variability/genetics/epigenetics/psychology, and 25% pure religious BS. Find the thing that works in your schedule and takes advantage of your psychological strengths and you'll have a much better time IMO.

Ironically I’ve started calorie counting and fasting, but it looks different. It will be strict on the weekend with cheat meals but more like a “no eating after 7” on week nights.

I’m officially no longer coaching (by choice). I turned down the opportunity to be a DC. It’s time I focus my energy on my kids and their extra curriculars and to be honest, my own health and well being. I haven’t looked or felt this good since college in my plying shape and my resting HR is down to 62.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Is it unhealthy or bad for you to only really eat one meal a day? Or considered under eating?

My diet for the most is exactly that and really only eat one meal a day and thats dinner other than that I usually just snack for most of the day

I'll eat something small for breakfast, Couple things of fruit and greek yogurt, a few hours later around noon I'll snack on a few other things, Chips & salsa, A peach or apple, a couple things of string cheese, and a handful of nuts and dried cranberries and that usually gets me to about dinner time which is at 5 and fill my plate up for dinner, usually half of the plate is a salad the other 1/4 of the plate is the veggie of the night and the other 1/4 is the protein of the evening

Okay so in general dietary science as a science is hog****. Studies are almost always very poorly controlled, and tend to only find correlations, not causations. It's a recipe for conflicting, inconsistent information.

So, you'll simultaneously be able to find studies that say things like intermittent fasting is dangerous and can cause nausea, low blood glucose (this being presented as a bad thing is amusing to me, but anywho), and a bunch of other stuff. At the same time, you'll hear people like me who say "eff that, break all the rules". So how do both things exist? Who's right and who's wrong?

Well, biologically, if you've been eating a healthy diet and then only eat one meal a day, there aren't any processes that your body won't be able to do. And as long as you have an energy source to draw from, theoretically this could happen sustainably. There are case studies where people haven't eaten for months at a time, except for vitamins, and they survived just fine. But that doesn't mean it's the best way for a normal person to lose weight, there are side effects from literally not eating at all for months like the gut bacteria need to be re-grown, the hunger response in the body needs to be recalibrated, etc. etc.

Further, that doesn't invalidate that if someone was taken out of their routine, placed in a clinical trial, told to sit in a room/fast, that they may feel like crap. They've never been acclimated, haven't developed coping strategies, etc. etc. To me, that's evidence of a bad trial more than a bad treatment.

I write all this to say, just try stuff. Break the rules and see how it works for you. Then keep what works and get rid of what doesn't.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I write all this to say, just try stuff. Break the rules and see how it works for you. Then keep what works and get rid of what doesn't.

And thats what Ive done pretty much I only really started caring about what I put into my body and eat for about a year and a half now and have tried a few other things and this for now is what works best for me I only ever really feel "hungry" 30 minutes to an hour before dinner and at that point I can usually handle it because dinner is so close If I cant I'll grab a quick snack like a handful of more nuts, a piece of fruit or a handful of carrots to tide me over

Edited by mattyice0401
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mattyice0401 said:

And thats what Ive done pretty much I only really started caring about what I put into my body and eat for about a year and a half now and have tried a few other things and this for now is what works best for me I only ever really feel "hungry" 30 minutes to an hour before dinner and at that point I can usually handle it because dinner is so close If I cant I'll a quick snack like a handful of more nuts a piece of fruit or a handful of carrots to tide me over

Then you're doing exactly what you should be doing, and I wouldn't worry about what an article says is healthy/unhealthy. If your body starts telling you to take it easy, like you're sluggish, you're not working out as well, or over the long term your skin doesn't look good/hair falls out at all, then you can always step off the gas and eat something extra. 

I've never gotten any of those signs fasting through 24 hours, and know there are lots of people who go beyond that on a somewhat regular basis without reporting negative side effects too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Okay so in general dietary science as a science is hog****. Studies are almost always very poorly controlled, and tend to only find correlations, not causations. It's a recipe for conflicting, inconsistent information.

So, you'll simultaneously be able to find studies that say things like intermittent fasting is dangerous and can cause nausea, low blood glucose (this being presented as a bad thing is amusing to me, but anywho), and a bunch of other stuff. At the same time, you'll hear people like me who say "eff that, break all the rules". So how do both things exist? Who's right and who's wrong?

Well, biologically, if you've been eating a healthy diet and then only eat one meal a day, there aren't any processes that your body won't be able to do. And as long as you have an energy source to draw from, theoretically this could happen sustainably. There are case studies where people haven't eaten for months at a time, except for vitamins, and they survived just fine. But that doesn't mean it's the best way for a normal person to lose weight, there are side effects from literally not eating at all for months like the gut bacteria need to be re-grown, the hunger response in the body needs to be recalibrated, etc. etc.

Further, that doesn't invalidate that if someone was taken out of their routine, placed in a clinical trial, told to sit in a room/fast, that they may feel like crap. They've never been acclimated, haven't developed coping strategies, etc. etc. To me, that's evidence of a bad trial more than a bad treatment.

I’ve used my diet and exercise program as a control for this exact stuff. Working out on a fast is peak testosterone as long as you have eaten well and hydrated the day before and it’s in a 12-16 hour window for me.

A high protein and high fat diet that’s low in dairy and carbs usually helps me a ton, whereas the carbs I do eat are boring like oatmeal or high in starches like sweet potatoes and potatoes.

But yeah, for the past 3 years I’ve eaten essentially 2 meals per day and my cholesterol and body weight has been consistent.

Now I’m trying to get cut and lean, so it’s basically finding that calorie deficit sweet spot while still maintaining my workouts…that number I haven’t unlocked yet.

Oh and for the record, it took me 10 or so days to feel comfortable and get adjusted to intermittent fasting, and I started 20-24 hour fasts every Friday during football season and felt great until hour 20 when I started to feel not awesome. I found 20 hours was perfect for me. So, 6-7PM dinner the night before then a 3PM team meal the next day. Anything more was unbearable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve used my diet and exercise program as a control for this exact stuff.

Seriously, and think about it that way too.

Reframing the problem from "I need to lose weight" to "I need to learn what a successful diet for me looks like". 

Instead of wins being getting super pumped up, going for a run, and losing 2.5 pounds of water weight along with like 0.05 pounds of fat, wins are food substitutions, trying to time meals differently, etc. And as long as your honest with yourself and keep trying different things, finding out something doesn't work for you is progress.

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Working out on a fast is peak testosterone as long as you have eaten well and hydrated the day before and it’s in a 12-16 hour window for me.

A high protein and high fat diet that’s low in dairy and carbs usually helps me a ton, whereas the carbs I do eat are boring like oatmeal or high in starches like sweet potatoes and potatoes.

But yeah, for the past 3 years I’ve eaten essentially 2 meals per day and my cholesterol and body weight has been consistent.

Now I’m trying to get cut and lean, so it’s basically finding that calorie deficit sweet spot while still maintaining my workouts…that number I haven’t unlocked yet.

I haven't had the dairy issues, but I've had to change the dairy I eat up a lot in order to be able to fit it in. Very little milk, except for in coffee, it's just got too many calories. And cheese is usually in my cheat meals one way or another. But I love dairy, so vanilla greek yogurt has been a lifesaver. I go through a 1L tub of it a week, 80 g protein, 450 calories total, tastes close enough to ice cream my dumb brain doesn't know the difference.

But the low carb absolutely qualifies as partially biochemical reality. Cheap carbs drive insulin spikes, and insulin drives hunger. I said it earlier in this thread, but the US still officially recommending 45-65% carbs is bananas.

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Oh and for the record, it took me 10 or so days to feel comfortable and get adjusted to intermittent fasting, and I started 20-24 hour fasts every Friday during football season and felt great until hour 20 when I started to feel not awesome. I found 20 hours was perfect for me. So, 6-7PM dinner the night before then a 3PM team meal the next day. Anything more was unbearable.

Yep, I can confirm this. I started because I was working early hours, so I decided to skip the lunch break and just keep going. First few weeks were rough, and there were times I had to bail early, but eventually it got easy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

haven't had the dairy issues, but I've had to change the dairy I eat up a lot in order to be able to fit it in. Very little milk, except for in coffee, it's just got too many calories. And cheese is usually in my cheat meals one way or another. But I love dairy, so vanilla greek yogurt has been a lifesaver. I go through a 1L tub of it a week, 80 g protein, 450 calories total, tastes close enough to ice cream my dumb brain doesn't know the difference.

I do vanilla Greek yogurt with a TBSP of local honey for the antioxidants and alleged old wives tales about allergen help.

And yeah I do a lot of yogurt but I have that in the “protein” group, which is 6 one way half a dozen the other.

Ive cut back on milk, cheese, and ice cream because it’s hard on my stomach. I can’t do chain pizza anymore and only do mom and pop pizza. Something there doesn’t sit well there for some reason.

• Like 1

Just now, mattyice0401 said:

Bad for you

General rule is that if it’s processed, it’s probably bad for you. Aside from some healthier whole grain options, pasta also isn’t the best either.

Quinoa, brown rice, oats, all really good carbs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Whats considered "cheap" carbs?

The difference between "good" and "bad" carbs is how long it takes your body to break them down. In a food surplus environment, we want to keep our blood sugar as low as we can, since high blood sugar leads to insulin production, which leads to insulin resistance if not in moderation. Our brain uses glucose exclusively, and our bodies are very good at turning any sugar we get into glucose eventually, but the speed of conversion varies. 

If you eat white rice, your body will chew through it right away, your blood sugar will spike quicker, you'll get an insulin response faster, and then will likely end up being hungrier more quickly than if you had brown rice, because the carbs in white rice are easier for your body to break down. That difference is what people are talking about when they say "cheap carbs". You can look for this in the nutrition label under "added sugars".

• Like 2