Dallas Cowboys sign LB Anthony Barr

TheRealMcCoy

10 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

forgive me for my potential ignorance but...

After Micah Parsons and Leighton Vander Esch who do the Cowboys really have at LB? Perhaps I'm overlooking someone, but I would've considered it a position of need, so... seems like a sensical landing spot and a decent rotational/depth signing to me, at least.

Jabril Cox and Luke Gifford.   But we rarely play with a 3rd true LB in our scheme since Quinn came onboard.   It's Micah, Leighton/Cox, Kearse.

We also drafted two more LBs Damone Clark (might see playing time at the end of the year) and Devin Harper.  We have to get through Training camp to see if Gifford is still our spare LB or not. 

The way Jabril Cox was playing last year before the injury and picked it right back up (and then some) again in this Training Camp, it's going to be hard to keep him off the field.  Dude is a missile.  The crosshairs were already on Leighton for playing time, and depending on what Barr gets paid, he might not be getting more snaps at the position than Cox week in/week out. 

IMO, the first time in a LONG time, we were set at the LB, CB and Safety positions all offseason.  We need a WR2, RDE, RT, C (not happening) and a darn kicker.  I just don't understand ignoring the other position groups and doubling down at a strength.  If Quinn, for some reason thinks he can convert Barr to a hands in the dirt RDE, then I get the signing.  Otherwise... 

On 8/3/2022 at 4:38 PM, vikingsrule said:

Not sure what Barr is outside of Zimmer’s scheme. He’s always been a bit of difficult player to understand. First thought when drafted was that he’d be a pass rusher but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Barr was always solid in coverage and real good at assignments and stopping the run. Just a really odd player overall at 9 back in 2014 given what his role ended up being. 

Not sure what he has left in the tank and I can’t even try and predict his role in Dallas but it likely isn’t pass rusher. 

Yeah.  Seemed like his best fit was as one of those "tweener" guys.  But in a particularly oddball way.

In a more conventional role in a more conventional scheme, not sure he really offers that much.  But who knows...maybe the Cowboys have a plan for him?  Or not.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:16 AM, vikingsrule said:

Except he only did it for a couple of years in college. I think it’s pure speculation that he could have been good at it in the NFL based on his unique size and athleticism. But from an ability standpoint, hard to say. 

Isn't that practically everyone? 

Very few guys do much in high school that really, truly means anything. The talent disparity is too much. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Isn't that practically everyone? 

Very few guys do much in high school that really, truly means anything. The talent disparity is too much. 

Well sure but that was 8 years ago. Barr has been an off ball linebacker and a runningback longer than he’s been a true edge rusher. 

• Like 1