Preseason, Week 1: Vikings (0-0) at Raiders (1-0)

swede700

On 8/5/2022 at 12:18 PM, SemperFeist said:

Listening to PA, I think we’re going to see the 3rd/4th string players a lot more than we typically see in the preseason. I won’t be shocked if we don’t see any starters play during the preseason. And even the 2nd string/ rotational players may not seem much action. Taking a lesson from the Rams’ approach. 

Big fan of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Big fan of this.

I am not.  It's one thing to do that when you're the Rams and have several veterans playing in the same system for a couple of years...this is a brand new system for all of these players.  I'd much rather see the first string get a few series in the preseason, at least in the first 2 games. 

I know people talk about the risk of getting hurt...sure, there's a risk, but I've thought for many years now that starters have been playing less in the preseason, the first quarter of the season is filled with lots of garbage play.  I'm fine with seeing garbage play during the preseason, but not once they count.

Maybe the Vikings can get away with that and win games playing like garbage like the Rams have over the past several years early in the season (who haven't had to play many divisional opponents in that time, whereas the Vikings have them 2 out of the first 3 weeks), but I don't want to hedge my bets on that.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I am not.  It's one thing to do that when you're the Rams and have several veterans playing in the same system for a couple of years...this is a brand new system for all of these players.  I'd much rather see the first string get a few series in the preseason, at least in the first 2 games. 

I know people talk about the risk of getting hurt...sure, there's a risk, but I've thought for many years now that starters have been playing less in the preseason, the first quarter of the season is filled with lots of garbage play.  I'm fine with seeing garbage play during the preseason, but not once they count.

Maybe the Vikings can get away with that and win games playing like garbage like the Rams have over the past several years early in the season (who haven't had to play many divisional opponents in that time, whereas the Vikings have them 2 out of the first 3 weeks), but I don't want to hedge my bets on that.  

I'll back track a bit and say I do believe the starters/backup should see some time. Always a fine line with preseason reps now with the reduction to 3 games. 

Of note:

Chris Reed is listed as backup LG, while Ed Ingram is the backup RG. 

Starting DEs, as expected are Tomlinson and Watts, with Phillips as the starting NT.

ISM is the PR and Nwangwu is the KR

Edited by swede700
  • Like 4