Hard Knocks 2022 - Detroit Lions Edition

Sllim Pickens

45 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like this year they are not following individuals as much as they are the coaches.  Its usually fun to follow a couple of the fringe guys to see how they compete and see who gets cut/makes the team.  But the focus has been on MCDC and young guys who have secure spots.  

A couple of things from episode two:

They are creating massive hype for Rodrigo.  I like that he is overtaking the LB group but also annoyed that with all of the vets in that room, none seem to be doing much.  I know we lacked talent there but thought we had enough to sneak out a couple starters.  But if we can get a productive or even semi productive player out of a 6th round pick, that would be huge for next year if we add another higher LB.  

Deandre Swift is concerning.  Obviously he has talent but Staley is trying hard to get the fire burning in him and he seems very passive, which is hard to teach/change personalities.  If he had Jamal Williams attitude, he would be a star in this league. Not sure why Staley always wants him inside given his speed and shiftiness seem to play better on the edge.  

I do think our offense is going to be pretty good this year, but hate to see them just gash our D like that in the 2 minute drills.  I really hope our DB's figure something out this year even if we can't get consistent pressure.  They need to make plays and I do think we have enough talent back there to be middle of the league.  The injuries on the D line really suck and it will be tough if we get little to no production out of 2 of our top 3 picks this year and our second round pick last year.  Also still without Okwara and the last news I saw was he is optimistic he will play this season which doesn't sound like he is close.  

Overall I think episode 2 was good but not as entertaining as the first.  Dan Campbell is fantastic and loving all of the coaches.  I think this will help all of them in future job opportunities which if we are decent, may unfortunately happen earlier than expected.   

I agree, especially on the hype of "Rodrigo". Shepherd, "I've talked to a coach who has been in this building for 5 years and hasn't seen a linebacker make these kind of plays...", I think that might be more of a knock on our LB play then a compliment to Rodriguez. Hopefully the hype is real, but I will take depth and good ST play out of him at 6. Anything more is awesome.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, teude said:

Screenshot-2022-08-20-070115.png

Oh man i laughed :D

Great episode again, i hope they are not hyping Rodrigo too much, really like his personality, hopefully he can deliver.

At first glance "best linebacker in the building in 5 years" sounds like overhype, then I remember the group of LBs we've had since Levy got hurt and it sounds about right.

• Like 4

On 8/19/2022 at 9:08 PM, Nnivolcm said:

At first glance "best linebacker in the building in 5 years" sounds like overhype, then I remember the group of LBs we've had since Levy got hurt and it sounds about right.

We've really neglected the back seven of the defense since 2014. Once we let Suh walk, it all went downhill. We hope two or three of the young DBs stand out, but we have no blue chip players in the back to build around. It's why I'm not opposed to trading for a talent like Roquan. I don't see Chicago trading with us, but I'm hoping the Lions are at least inquiring. 

11 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

We've really neglected the back seven of the defense since 2014. Once we let Suh walk, it all went downhill. We hope two or three of the young DBs stand out, but we have no blue chip players in the back to build around. It's why I'm not opposed to trading for a talent like Roquan. I don't see Chicago trading with us, but I'm hoping the Lions are at least inquiring. 

I'd say Quin, Slay, and Diggs were all blue chip quality players in the secondary. Unfortunately they were never paired with a disruptive front once Suh left. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I'd say Quin, Slay, and Diggs were all blue chip quality players in the secondary. Unfortunately they were never paired with a disruptive front once Suh left. 

Or a competent coach.  

Also, we did invest the #3 pick in a CB but between coaching and injuries we have not seen the benefits of that.  Also spent a couple mid round picks this and last year on the back end in Joseph, Iffy, and Rodrigo.  LB has been neglected more than any position though IMO.  We did grab two this year and Barnes last year but all were late picks and before that, we had not drafted a LB since 2019 when we selected Tavai who was a reach and everyone except Quinn knew it and before that nobody since 2017 when we drafted Davis, who also was a bust.  So two picks in the first four rounds on LB in the last 8 years will leave some holes unless you develop someone or sign someone and we have done neither.  Hoping Rodrigo is that guy but thats based purely on Hard Knocks hype and in reality I am not expecting much from him.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Slay and Quin were both brought in in 2013 and on that 2014 team. Not adding talent to those positions since then still remains a high problem. I stated we have no blue chip players now to build around. 

34 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Slay and Quin were both brought in in 2013 and on that 2014 team. Not adding talent to those positions since then still remains a high problem. I stated we have no blue chip players now to build around. 

You don't count Teez Tabor?

j/k.

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

When you don't draft well or develop people, it will always look like you have neglected positions.  We drafted Okudah 3rd overall, Iffy, Kerby and Will Harris in the 3rd and AO in the 5th over the last 4 years.  We have tried, but not developing guys and injuries hurts.  Okudah could be a blue chip guy.  Walker could be as well.  We seem to be developing guys and moving guys around where they are best suited now with this staff but under Patricia, nobody got better and draft picks were reaches (Tabor, Killibrew etc). We also signed a bunch of guys like Trufant, Coleman etc but they didnt work out again because of coaching most likely. 

We lacked blue chip players all over, especially after the last Patricia.  We also lacked decent starters at most positions due to their lack of development.  I feel this staff is developing guys to at least be solid starters and with the right one here and there can develop a blue chip player like an ARSB/AO/Hutch/Sewell etc. 

I feel like this was another good episode.

Loved seeing the competitiveness of the joint practice. Good for both sides to see something different than they see everyday.

I felt like this episode focused more on bubble players. Pimpleton, Eze, Blough. Will be interesting when they get cut. 

I love Duce, I like Shepp, but I would love to see Pleasant coaching up all the young DBs. That's a group I'd really like a behind the scenes look at. Hopefully we will at some point. 

I know I'm biased as a Lions fan, but it's hard not to love these guys. The coaches, the players, the personality of the team all just mesh well together and makes them worth rooting for. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I feel like this was another good episode.

Loved seeing the competitiveness of the joint practice. Good for both sides to see something different than they see everyday.

I felt like this episode focused more on bubble players. Pimpleton, Eze, Blough. Will be interesting when they get cut. 

I love Duce, I like Shepp, but I would love to see Pleasant coaching up all the young DBs. That's a group I'd really like a behind the scenes look at. Hopefully we will at some point. 

I know I'm biased as a Lions fan, but it's hard not to love these guys. The coaches, the players, the personality of the team all just mesh well together and makes them worth rooting for. 

Agree all around.  I liked getting into the fringe guys a little.  I bet Eze and Pimpleton make the practice squad if they clear waivers which they likely will. 

I did like the DC speech at the beginning about all of the little stuff that prevents us from winning and how thats the last piece to get rid of.  This group really seems like they are confident and really changing the culture of the team. 

I agree on the coaches.  I am guessing Pleasant doesn't have the personality that Deuce, Randal El, Glenn, and Shep have or he would probably be getting a little more time.  Fraley finally got a little too but would like to see more on how the OL is progressing.  I am guessing they have to limit a lot of that and the first team reps/details as not to give away game plans or ways to beat our guys.