Hard Knocks 2022 - Detroit Lions Edition

Sllim Pickens

I just caught up on all three episodes today and I have a few questions:

• Deuce didn't seem overly impressed with Craig Reynolds game against the Colts. It seemed like he ran well, but Deuce barely seemed to care. Is Craig in the doghouse or am I overthinking this?
  • Is Rodrigo legit? He seems like a throwback LB but can he actually cover? 
  • This coaching staff is making me feel old. I grew up watching these guys play and now they're gray and coaching. It seems like HBO is wanting to follow them rather than bubble guys and stars, which is fine. Deuce, Glenn, and Campbell are entertaining as hell. 
  • Like 2

Good episode. Next week is the last one and I'm sad.

Craig Reynolds is so easy to root for. 

Will be interesting to see who is added to the practice squad and who might get claimed off waivers.

I'm kind of sad that they didn't feature Jameson at all. 

Great quotes once again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Good episode. Next week is the last one and I'm sad.

Craig Reynolds is so easy to root for. 

Will be interesting to see who is added to the practice squad and who might get claimed off waivers.

I'm kind of sad that they didn't feature Jameson at all. 

Great quotes once again. 

It was another fun episode.  I liked the team film session to laugh at whoever that was that got hit with the band.  Nice to have a coach that understands enjoying the workplace and building chemistry together is important but also is all business when he needs to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It was another fun episode.  I liked the team film session to laugh at whoever that was that got hit with the band.  Nice to have a coach that understands enjoying the workplace and building chemistry together is important but also is all business when he needs to be. 

Pretty sure it was Jermar Jefferson. 

• Like 1

Seeing Holmes/Campbell cutting guys was tough. The respect shown by the players was remarkable. You can tell that everyone is buying into Holmes/Campbell. Great to see.

I want to like Chase Lucas, but if you feel you're going to be great, don't say it just go do it. I'm rooting for the kid though.

I see why Pleasant wasn't featured during Hard Knocks now, he's just so awkward. Good guy, but awkward. 

I know most teams don't want to do Hard Knocks, but I think overall it was a great experience for the Lions and even fans of other teams. I wouldn't mind a year long show like this around the Lions. From free agency to draft to training camp through the season. 

Im sad to see this end but I'm excited for the off-season to be over and get this season started. 

Let's goooooooooooooooo!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Seeing Holmes/Campbell cutting guys was tough. The respect shown by the players was remarkable. You can tell that everyone is buying into Holmes/Campbell. Great to see.

I want to like Chase Lucas, but if you feel you're going to be great, don't say it just go do it. I'm rooting for the kid though.

I see why Pleasant wasn't featured during Hard Knocks now, he's just so awkward. Good guy, but awkward. 

I know most teams don't want to do Hard Knocks, but I think overall it was a great experience for the Lions and even fans of other teams. I wouldn't mind a year long show like this around the Lions. From free agency to draft to training camp through the season. 

Im sad to see this end but I'm excited for the off-season to be over and get this season started. 

Cut and paste (after I watch episode 5)

On 9/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, Louis Friend said:

Same.  I’m mad they are going to the Cards.  Would have loved to see the in season with the Lions after the preseason to see how they develop.  This staff is great and got me excited for the Lions again.  I’ve always loved them but Patricia killed the fire a little and made it feel like we are doomed.  These guys give me hope. 

21 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Same.  I’m mad they are going to the Cards.  Would have loved to see the in season with the Lions after the preseason to see how they develop.  This staff is great and got me excited for the Lions again.  I’ve always loved them but Patricia killed the fire a little and made it feel like we are doomed.  These guys give me hope. 

Let's say that we finish 5-12. Would you feel like this is still the right staff to right the ship or just same ol', different flavour?

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Let's say that we finish 5-12. Would you feel like this is still the right staff to right the ship or just same ol', different flavour?

Id be disappointed for sure.  Would depend somewhat on why we are 5-12 but I would lean towards one more year for the staff.  Things feel different.  Player development feels different than it has in my memory.  Player buy in feels different than I can remember.  But we do need results.  If we fail because Goff struggles and Levi/Paschal/Williams don't make a major impact this year, I will feel better about it as long as players get better like Sewell, ARSB, and other young guys did last year.  If its because of continued poor decision making and coaching mistakes, i would be less confident in them. 

Overall I know we still lack some talent and still are hampered by cap issues from Stafford/previous regime.  So next year is it for this staff IMO if they do not produce results to go with the buy in.   

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Id be disappointed for sure.  Would depend somewhat on why we are 5-12 but I would lean towards one more year for the staff.  Things feel different.  Player development feels different than it has in my memory.  Player buy in feels different than I can remember.  But we do need results.  If we fail because Goff struggles and Levi/Paschal/Williams don't make a major impact this year, I will feel better about it as long as players get better like Sewell, ARSB, and other young guys did last year.  If its because of continued poor decision making and coaching mistakes, i would be less confident in them. 

Overall I know we still lack some talent and still are hampered by cap issues from Stafford/previous regime.  So next year is it for this staff IMO if they do not produce results to go with the buy in.   

I have to agree with all of this. It certainly does feel different in a lot of ways but the emotional comments or the quirkiness of drinking 9 espressos and a gallon of coffee is only going to go so far if the team isn't winning. I did really like to see the guys who were being cut commenting on what they're building there in terms of culture.

I'm willing to give this regime the full 5 years BUT we'd really need to see things progressing positively. Years 4 and 5 would be just adding that one or two pieces to take things over the hump, not adding significant pieces that still need time to develop. 

35 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I have to agree with all of this. It certainly does feel different in a lot of ways but the emotional comments or the quirkiness of drinking 9 espressos and a gallon of coffee is only going to go so far if the team isn't winning. I did really like to see the guys who were being cut commenting on what they're building there in terms of culture.

I'm willing to give this regime the full 5 years BUT we'd really need to see things progressing positively. Years 4 and 5 would be just adding that one or two pieces to take things over the hump, not adding significant pieces that still need time to develop. 

I'm not big on the five year plan.  There are so few instances of coaches having 3 bad years and then turning it on.  Turnover in the league is insane and in three years, there may be 5 or 6 starters the same as this year , which is good and bad.  If we end up going with a rookie QB next year then I would extend it one more year but at that point we have to make the playoffs or bring in a different voice.  At that point, if the DC way doesn't result in wins, the buy in and confidence will fade.  I hope it works because DC is such a likeable guy and is perfect for the city but that attitude will only go so far as you said.   We have to be at least a fringe playoff team next year or this staff will lose the locker room. 

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I always thought it would take three years to bounce back from the mess Quintricia left us. It's one of the reasons I didn't them to have the last year as it was just an opportunity for them to dig a deeper hole. 

You can only do so much in any given off season and I think the talent and potential of Lions is so far ahead of where they were when MCDC and Holmes took over. I would be very skeptical of anyone who started to call for their jobs after two years of continued improvements. 

• Like 1