Better QB During Prime: Marino, Favre, Young, Elway, Brees

mdonnelly21

Which of these 5 QBs was the best during their prime?   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 4 QBs was the best during their prime? 

• Brees
    • Marino
    • Elway
    • Young
    • Favre

55 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

He started with the 2nd best WR of that era (Sharpe) He did not play as long but his numbers destroy all the others 88-94.

Sharpe (3854 and 42 Favre's first 3 years), Freeman (4671 and 41 from 96-99), 10k Driver(4772 and 24 from 04-07), 3x pro bowl Chmura, 3x pro bowl Franks, Jennings his last 2 years. Yeah, dem bums. They were on TV 6+ times a year every year. We all saw them. We all heard about them. We all saw them in pro bowls.

He even had several second tier depth guys like Schroeder and Walker (2098 and 21 in 03-04 before he got hurt and left for Denver)

I must have misremembered that Favre just tossed the ball to Pinkston and Thrash clones every year.

GB has done an incredible job at WR for the last 30 years. Its not just Favre, Rodgers and a bunch of Chris Hogans and Danny Amendolas.

Never seen someone use Bubba Franks and Bill Schroeder as an argument for GB having pass catchers before. That's wild. Weird how none of those guys outside of Sharpe and Driver did anything with anyone else. It's almost like they were good because of Brett.

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Never seen someone use Bubba Franks and Bill Schroeder as an argument for GB having pass catchers before. That's wild. Weird how none of those guys outside of Sharpe and Driver did anything with anyone else. It's almost like they were good because of Brett.

They were additional pieces of an almost always ++ passing game. Favre was the main factor but he was nowhere near the only factor.

Nice cherry picking though.

Show me another team with the 1200+ WR seasons like Green Bay over and over again with different players.

All players are good because of QB is about the lamest of all lame arguments. Its Belichick owes Brady level nonsense.

In 1984 Marino had a 108.9 rating. The next guy was pre-Brady GoaT Montana at 102.9. The next person was 93.4 The league average was 76.1

Marino threw for a record 5084 yards. Lomax was 2nd at 4614. Simms was 3rd at 4044. The average was about 3651.

Marino had a record 48 TDs. Krieg was 2nd with 32 TDs. Lomax and Montana were tied at 3rd with 28 each. The average was 22.

The previous TD record was 36 by Blanda in 1961. The previous post-merger record was Bartkowski with 31.

Marino had 44 TDs 2 year later.

Lets compare Favre 1995-1997 to Marino 1984-1986

• Yards: Marino 13967  Favre 12197
  • TDs: Marino 122 Favre 112
  • Completion%: Marino 61.3   Favre 60.8
  • YPA: Marino 8.0  Favre 7.5
  • Picks:  Favre 42 Marino 61
  • Rating:  Favre 96.0  Marino 95.1

Both were 1st team all-pro all 3 years. Marino was MVP once, 3rd in MVP voting another year while Favre was voted MVP all 3 years.

NOTE: Favre's 3rd MVP was a cute voting trick where he tied with Barry Sanders with 18 of 48 votes. Carnell Lake got a vote so the tie would work out.

Favre led the league in yards x1, TDs x3, TD% x3, ANY/A once and had 2 GWDs.

Marino led the league in yards x3, TDs x3, TD% x2, ANY/A once, yards per game x2, completions x3, attempts x2, low sack % x3, and passer rating x1 with 10 GWDs.

That's not close and it gets worse when you adjust for era  (average QB rating was about 3.5 points higher for Favre's era mostly because picks were down from 20.9 to 17.1)

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:46 PM, SkippyX said:

I'm not saying every year was like 2011 (that was just nuts at WR) but GB are the masters of WR drafting.

I’m not sure about this one. I’m no fan of Brett Favre but when he won his first MVP in 1995 his top receivers were Robert Brooks and TE Mark Chumura. The RB Edgar Bennett was 3rd in receiving yards

In 1996 Robert Brooks suffered an injury and Favre relied on Antonio Freeman, Don Beebe, and TE Keith Jackson as his top 3 receivers. He still led the NFL in touchdown passes and quarterbacked GB to a dominant 13-3 season and SB win. I really think Favre elevated that receiving corps 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nightime said:

I’m not sure about this one. I’m no fan of Brett Favre but when he won his first MVP in 1995 his top receivers were Robert Brooks and TE Mark Chumura. The RB Edgar Bennett was 3rd in receiving yards

In 1996 Robert Brooks suffered an injury and Favre relied on Antonio Freeman, Don Beebe, and TE Keith Jackson as his top 3 receivers. He still led the NFL in touchdown passes and quarterbacked GB to a dominant 13-3 season and SB win. I really think Favre elevated that receiving corps 

Both can be true. Favre elevated guys like Schroeder but its also true that he had some really good targets for most of his career.