What is something that is accepted by society that you find creepy/weird?

biggie.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Semi-guilty of this. I’ll sometimes use “PLEASE RESPOND” or “FEEDBACK REQUIRED” too, but it’s not every title, y’know?

It’s used when I need people to get off their TikTok and start carrying this load for me. 

I prefer “read receipts”. It’s more subtle and passive aggressive as a trump card. A simple “check your inbox” or “per my records you never opened it, sent at X date and Y time” is fun. :) 

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

I prefer “read receipts”. It’s more subtle and passive aggressive as a trump card. A simple “check your inbox” or “per my records you never opened it, sent at X date and Y time” is fun. :) 

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Have never responded to one in my entire career out of principle and never will. **** read receipts.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Have never responded to one in my entire career out of principle and never will. **** read receipts.

I only use read receipts with parents if it’s a progress report for their student. The amount of times I get a “I NEVER HEARD THAT!” from the same email I’ve been bombing all year is priceless. It’s plausible deniability. Other than that, yeah I’m with you.

@ET80 the “Important” guy sends out weekly tech nonsense. It’s like a coach we’ve all had who’s a Yeller. After a couple times it’s white noise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I get where you're coming from, because it's clearly true that there are positive associations between losing weight and health. But down the line the "I just want you to be healthy" crowd who operate in bad faith are going to have a tougher and tougher time presenting that sincerely the more BMI loses out to A1C.

I’ve seen this happen. One loved one was genuinely trying to get another loved one (her daughter) to be healthier and attempted to do so by having her get lab tests run. When the results came back normal, she decided not to change her poor eating and minimal exercise habits.

However, she eventually decided to do it anyway after her mom passed away because she knew she wanted her to be healthy. She always wanted to lose weight herself, but she had major resistance to it.

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Advertisements for prescription medications on TV.

Someone close to me wanted to take Ozempic primarily because of the potential weight loss side effect that a friend of his experienced. It’s mentioned in the commercial too. I’m like, “you don’t take a high powered diabetes medication to lose weight.” Thankfully, he talked to his doctor, and she wouldn’t prescribe it because (IIRC) he wasn’t even considered a diabetic anymore after his levels improved.

The healthy despite being overweight crowd is not uncommon, but also, they’re often young.  Long term being morbidly obese/obese is going to catch up to you.  

I talk to a lot of folks who deal with a lot of issues (hypertension, diabetes, joint pain, etc) that are largely influenced by body weight.  Not saying that weight is the only factor, but it’s definitely a factor. 

We also live in a society that consists of an absurd amount of men who think they carry an above average amount of muscle or have unusually large bones so things like recommended weight range and BMI don’t apply (I think BMI is near useless, but not the idea of maintaining a reasonable body weight).  I can’t count the number of 50-60 year old dudes who are like 5’9, 230 and think they need to lose just 10-15 pounds.  Like, no dude, you’re easily 50-60 pounds overweight.  No judgement, but let’s at least be honest here.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The healthy despite being overweight crowd is not uncommon, but also, they’re often young.  Long term being morbidly obese/obese is going to catch up to you.  

I talk to a lot of folks who deal with a lot of issues (hypertension, diabetes, joint pain, etc) that are largely influenced by body weight.  Not saying that weight is the only factor, but it’s definitely a factor. 

We also live in a society that consists of an absurd amount of men who think they carry an above average amount of muscle or have unusually large bones so things like recommended weight range and BMI don’t apply (I think BMI is near useless, but not the idea of maintaining a reasonable body weight).  I can’t count the number of 50-60 year old dudes who are like 5’9, 230 and think they need to lose just 10-15 pounds.  Like, no dude, you’re easily 50-60 pounds overweight.  No judgement, but let’s at least be honest here.

I agree with all of this. This is all a shades of grey conversation. Like BMI for example is going to directly cause joint pain - you're heavier, more stress on the joints, more joint pain. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in your line of work and the other people my wife works with in pharmacies. Some dude with some major health concerns a year ago was adamant about continuing to drink chocolate milk. They asked him how much per day…he said ONE GALLON. So the health plans compromise was to go down to 5 gallons per week in the next year to just start weening him off.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in your line of work and the other people my wife works with in pharmacies. Some dude with some major health concerns a year ago was adamant about continuing to drink chocolate milk. They asked him how much per day…he said ONE GALLON. So the health plans compromise was to go down to 5 gallons per week in the next year to just start weening him off.

Honestly people who admit to stuff like this are the exception.  Most people try to hide their bad habits.  “Ive been trying to lose weight and I eat nothing but chicken breast and salad and walk 15k steps a day and I just can’t get under 350”.  You don’t need to lie to me pal, I don’t care.  

The exceedingly honest people are my favorites.  I can work with someone who’s honest and realistic. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I like chocolate milk, but I can’t even fathom drinking a gallon of it in one day, let alone every day.

Edited by JohnChimpo
  • Like 4

Just now, MWil23 said:

No question. A nice tall 12 ounce glass or something is about my max

The only thing I ever drink a gallon of in a day anymore is water. Drinking a lot of water is a health goal for some people, but to me, it’s just normal. There were many days where I drank a gallon or more of beer, but those days are long gone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Honestly people who admit to stuff like this are the exception.  Most people try to hide their bad habits.  “Ive been trying to lose weight and I eat nothing but chicken breast and salad and walk 15k steps a day and I just can’t get under 350”.  You don’t need to lie to me pal, I don’t care.  

The exceedingly honest people are my favorites.  I can work with someone who’s honest and realistic. 

I’ve been on a weight loss journey where I started at 400 pounds.  I will say at 350 is when it started to get out of control.  I had really bad sleep apnea, so I would have no energy for food prep.  So fast food breakfast, fast food lunch and more than likely, eating out, if not fast food all over again.  I did have control over my choices, but not my energy level.  I have an active job, so that saved me from going much over 400, but I couldn’t even get through the work day without falling asleep, much less do things afterwards.  I would fall asleep during meetings, sporting events, dinner…….it was bad.  

Luckily I’ve turned it around, and am doing crazy things right now compared to where I was three years ago.  I’m super active, lost half of that weight, but at the same time, sometimes I still view myself as that “funny fat kid” persona that I carried all throughout high school through the beginning of Covid.  

At the very least, I eventually found out I was lying to myself about my happiness.  Some people do not do that, and that’s what I find the saddest of all.  The body positivity phase is definitely something that is going to make insurance and doctors very rich from the millennial generation back.  

• Like 10