What is something that is accepted by society that you find creepy/weird?

biggie.

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’ve been on a weight loss journey where I started at 400 pounds.  I will say at 350 is when it started to get out of control.  I had really bad sleep apnea, so I would have no energy for food prep.  So fast food breakfast, fast food lunch and more than likely, eating out, if not fast food all over again.  I did have control over my choices, but not my energy level.  I have an active job, so that saved me from going much over 400, but I couldn’t even get through the work day without falling asleep, much less do things afterwards.  I would fall asleep during meetings, sporting events, dinner…….it was bad.  

Luckily I’ve turned it around, and am doing crazy things right now compared to where I was three years ago.  I’m super active, lost half of that weight, but at the same time, sometimes I still view myself as that “funny fat kid” persona that I carried all throughout high school through the beginning of Covid.  

At the very least, I eventually found out I was lying to myself about my happiness.  Some people do not do that, and that’s what I find the saddest of all.  The body positivity phase is definitely something that is going to make insurance and doctors very rich from the millennial generation back.  

Congratulations! That’s amazing!

• Like 2

Something else- throughout the entire time I was that size, no one, outside of my immediate family, made any comments to me about needing to lose weight.  Not doctors, not friends, not co-workers (eh, my boss did in passing.). The apathy of so many people, probably because of the strong reactions that come from those who are close to them and overweight (like I did with my family) probably contributes to that. 

The first person who I dated after all of this saw a picture and said “hey, you can really wear a suit, but I would not have agreed to go out on a date with you.”  So even in this body positivity phase, especially with all of the “swipe” apps in online dating, looks are still what will attract someone to you at the start.  There are a couple communities of people who really need to hear that and truly take it to heart.  

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Something else- throughout the entire time I was that size, no one, outside of my immediate family, made any comments to me about needing to lose weight.  Not doctors, not friends, not co-workers (eh, my boss did in passing.). The apathy of so many people, probably because of the strong reactions that come from those who are close to them and overweight (like I did with my family) probably contributes to that. 

The first person who I dated after all of this saw a picture and said “hey, you can really wear a suit, but I would not have agreed to go out on a date with you.”  So even in this body positivity phase, especially with all of the “swipe” apps in online dating, looks are still what will attract someone to you at the start.  There are a couple communities of people who really need to hear that and truly take it to heart.  

I think doctors should definitely say something, but they often don’t. I did have a doctor tell my mom, “he is fat,” during an appointment when I was a teenager. She got upset, but I agreed with him.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’ve been on a weight loss journey where I started at 400 pounds.  I will say at 350 is when it started to get out of control.  I had really bad sleep apnea, so I would have no energy for food prep.  So fast food breakfast, fast food lunch and more than likely, eating out, if not fast food all over again.  I did have control over my choices, but not my energy level.  I have an active job, so that saved me from going much over 400, but I couldn’t even get through the work day without falling asleep, much less do things afterwards.  I would fall asleep during meetings, sporting events, dinner…….it was bad.  

Luckily I’ve turned it around, and am doing crazy things right now compared to where I was three years ago.  I’m super active, lost half of that weight, but at the same time, sometimes I still view myself as that “funny fat kid” persona that I carried all throughout high school through the beginning of Covid.  

good for you man, well done.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

At the very least, I eventually found out I was lying to myself about my happiness.  Some people do not do that, and that’s what I find the saddest of all.  The body positivity phase is definitely something that is going to make insurance and doctors very rich from the millennial generation back.  

Maybe.  Or maybe just like you they find the motivation to make the required changes when the realize how their choices are impacting them.

When I was young I could eat whatever, drink till 4am on a Friday night, wake up at 7 lift/run, spend the day doing cool **** and then do it again Saturday night. Now I notice if I had 2 drinks when I’m lifting for like 3 days.

Bad choices catch up eventually, it’s just a matter of when.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnChimpo said:

I think doctors should definitely say something, but they often don’t. I did have a doctor tell my mom, “he is fat,” during an appointment when I was a teenager. She got upset, but I agreed with him.

They don’t tell you you’re fat for a number of reasons tbh.

1.  You probably know it

2. they’ve got 15 min in most cases.  They aren’t gonna fix your lifestyle and eating habits in that time.

3. People argue.  As I mentioned earlier, many people, especially men, are delusional about their weight. “That BMI is nonsense”, etc.

4. The get offended. No one wants to listen to Karen/Ken rant to anyone in the office who will listen about how rude the MD was for calling their fat arse fat.  Between the in office complaining and online damage control, can’t be worth it.

5. they make excuses. “Well everyone in my family is fat, it’s genetic, nothin I can do…. I already work out 8 days a week…. I only eat chicken breast and drink water……”

If we’re being honest here, it’s 2022 and we all have the internet on our phones and mirrors at home. We can see if we’re overweight and find out how to fix it.

Most people arent fat because they lack the knowledge or resources, they’re fat because it’s easy and eating is enjoyable. I’m not making any judgements here, but I’m also not going to pretend it’s a doctors fault to point out the obvious to folks.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They don’t tell you you’re fat for a number of reasons tbh.

1.  You probably know it

2. they’ve got 15 min in most cases.  They aren’t gonna fix your lifestyle and eating habits in that time.

3. People argue.  As I mentioned earlier, many people, especially men, are delusional about their weight. “That BMI is nonsense”, etc.

4. The get offended. No one wants to listen to Karen/Ken rant to anyone in the office who will listen about how rude the MD was for calling their fat arse fat.  Between the in office complaining and online damage control, can’t be worth it.

5. they make excuses. “Well everyone in my family is fat, it’s genetic, nothin I can do…. I already work out 8 days a week…. I only eat chicken breast and drink water……”

If we’re being honest here, it’s 2022 and we all have the internet on our phones and mirrors at home. We can see if we’re overweight and find out how to fix it.

Most people arent fat because they lack the knowledge or resources, they’re fat because it’s easy and eating is enjoyable. I’m not making any judgements here, but I’m also not going to pretend it’s a doctors fault to point out the obvious to folks.

Oh I’m not saying it’s a doctor’s fault. When I was fat, I definitely knew it and found the motivation to do something about it. I’m just saying a doctor pointing out the potential health risks could be a motivator for those who weren’t otherwise motivated. I see your point about the negatives though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

sometimes I still view myself as that “funny fat kid” persona that I carried all throughout high school

Bro same. I weigh 205 now and no one thinks I’m fat now, and no one new in my life believes me when I say I used to be fat (340 lbs at my worst). I still think of myself as a fat person though. Seeing pictures of me now as thin as I am is jarring. 

• Like 1

I’m gonna add a weird one that doesn’t really go with the theme of the thread so far. Funerals/burial traditions/how we deal with deceased people is weird af. I don’t know of a better way than just cremation but the beautifying up of a corpse and display for hundreds of people is kinda disturbing to me. Then having a designated field where hundreds of dead people reside underground. It all just seems strange. 

• Like 7

On 8/10/2022 at 1:06 AM, Ty21 said:

Bro same. I weigh 205 now and no one thinks I’m fat now, and no one new in my life believes me when I say I used to be fat (340 lbs at my worst). I still think of myself as a fat person though. Seeing pictures of me now as thin as I am is jarring. 

I hear you man, it’s a tough hole to come out of. It’s essentially trying to switch off how you’ve seen yourself- literally and figuratively- for nearly your entire life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Child Beauty Pageants and sexualizing former child actors the moment they turn 18 (Millie Bobby Brown the most recent example of this) are two examples right off the top of my head.

That crap should be illegal imo.

• Like 1

Idk if creepy is the right word. But loaning hundreds of thousands of dollars to unemployed 18 year olds to get degrees where their earning potential will be $40k a year and forcing them to pay for a bunch of classes that have nothing to do with their future career path. And then on top of all of that, making that loan the only thing you can’t get rid of through bankruptcy.

Edited by DontTazeMeBro
  • Like 5