Bears LB Roquan Smith requests trade

.Buzz

#2nd Team All Pro.....  

Maybe the Bears subscribe to Pff?  Because this guy gets dumped on by them constantly.

And naw...he's going nowhere.   He's literally all they really have that is proven.  If Fields hits, those are two good young guys to try to build around.

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

#2nd Team All Pro.....  

Maybe the Bears subscribe to Pff?  Because this guy gets dumped on by them constantly.

And naw...he's going nowhere.   He's literally all they really have that is proven.  If Fields hits, those are two good young guys to try to build around.

ehhh I woulnt be so sure. His comments regarding the front office seem pretty bad and with a team deprived of assets since the Justin Fields trade up--the Bears will likely be pushed into trading him so they can get some more draft flexibility for their rebuild. 

37 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

ehhh I woulnt be so sure. His comments regarding the front office seem pretty bad and with a team deprived of assets since the Justin Fields trade up--the Bears will likely be pushed into trading him so they can get some more draft flexibility for their rebuild. 

Yah, I'm not sure.  That is the only thing I'm sure about!

But...this is always about money.  He got the money he wanted, not the structure.  The Bears have money.  All they have to do is come up with a satisfactory structure.  Given their cap situation, it should be easy.

Now...new regime always means they want "their" players.  Not sure if Smith is "their" player.  But he certainly is a good player.

BTW I didn't know Smith didn't have an agent, and represents himself. So they basically had to tell him to his face what they thought he was worth. No agent to act as middleman, and maybe handle some of the turbulent conversations that probably comes up with this type of thing. 

Apparently he wanted $20 million? That's a lot for an off the ball linebacker in today's NFL, but...you gotta have some cornerstone players, or the Bears will just keep sucking, and no one will want to stick around. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

9 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW I didn't know Smith didn't have an agent, and represents himself. So they basically had to tell him to his face what they thought he was worth. No agent to act as middleman, and maybe handle some of the turbulent conversations that probably comes up with this type of thing. 

He's letting his feelings get in the way of business, thats the risk you run when you think you dont need an agent.

If you have an agent, those terms get rejected off the jump, the player never sees them and were on to dollar structure. 

Also, does anyone actually believe he has the leverage to be the highest paid Salary for LBs?

• Like 2

Not the worst way to handle it. He brings up perhaps the owners being able to salvage it, and it looks like the deal he was offered really was bad. The Bears don't have talent. They have to pay someone. 25 year old All Pro seems like a good place to start.

• Like 2