Jets OT Mekhi Becton suffers avulstion fracture of the kneecap; Likely out for season

RaidersAreOne

And to think we had people in here who were legitimately offended by the idea of adding OT competition thinking Mekhi was truly a franchise cornerstone player. There was no way we should've been counting on his health and now it blows up in our faces. We better hope that Duane Brown signs and either one of him or Fant takes warmly to playing right tackle.

15 hours ago, jetjuice said:

And to think we had people in here who were legitimately offended by the idea of adding OT competition thinking Mekhi was truly a franchise cornerstone player. There was no way we should've been counting on his health and now it blows up in our faces. We better hope that Duane Brown signs and either one of him or Fant takes warmly to playing right tackle.

It was a gamble that did not work out.  I was one of those that wanted to forego drafting an OT early in the draft but I was not offended at the thought of it.  There were just too many other holes to fill to spend a high draft pick on an OT that may not even wind up playing this year.  No one could have foreseen this turn of events.  I am not sure what OT we could have gotten in FA that would come in a play RT, ONLY if needed aka a backup.

Hindsight is wonderful and in this case we got burned.  Now, lets see JD work his preseason magic and get us a starting RT.  Does anyone know how Mitchell is doing in practice?

1 hour ago, xrade said:

It was a gamble that did not work out.  I was one of those that wanted to forego drafting an OT early in the draft but I was not offended at the thought of it.  There were just too many other holes to fill to spend a high draft pick on an OT that may not even wind up playing this year.  No one could have foreseen this turn of events.  I am not sure what OT we could have gotten in FA that would come in a play RT, ONLY if needed aka a backup.

Hindsight is wonderful and in this case we got burned.  Now, lets see JD work his preseason magic and get us a starting RT.  Does anyone know how Mitchell is doing in practice?

Not to say the reasoning is sound, but there was a good portion of the Jets fan base that were way down on Becton before this injury and wanted his replacement drafted

26 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Not to say the reasoning is sound, but there was a good portion of the Jets fan base that were way down on Becton before this injury and wanted his replacement drafted

I was one of them.  I voiced my displeasure with the whole missing OTA's in May thing.  Removing emotion from the equation, he had a good first year at LT and he showed up to camp in shape and ready.  He should have been our long term LT.  I was not so much down on him because of his knee injury but more because of his boo-boo's that kept him from playing at various points during the 2020 season.  Regardless, he played well (when he played) and he was ready to go this year.

Drafting his replacement would have been an emotional move.  Not necessarily a football move.  You don't give up on a talented young player, especially since we had such a lack of talent all over the place that we need to devote resources to other areas.  Drafting an OT that may have sat this year was not the best use of those resources, imo.  Obviously that move backfired, but at the time JD's draft strategy was sound. Back to the drawing board.

Come the 2023 draft, yeah, OT should be very high on the wishlist.  Fant, McGovern and maybe Quincy are our biggest FA's next year.  We should not have too many glaring needs.

5 hours ago, xrade said:

A gamble that did not work in out in your first year as GM in a loaded OT class looks real bad in hindsight with Wirfs killing it down in Tampa. I have a bigger problem with that than I do taking a gamble on Mekhi's health, but that was a gaffe too and hopefully this is a lesson learned on how to navigate around players who are clearly injury prone and have questions about their passion for the game. Hopefully we can sign Duane Brown but we aren't going to be the only team in on him.

Next year he's a depth piece with an opportunity to start. Not the opposite. And I cant see us picking up his 5th year option this next offseason either after 2 full seasons injured. Cant invest that much money into a guy that's missed 2 years.

Lesson of this. Is JD has to draft the guy that is actually better. Don't draft the combine warriors of the world. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Next year he's a depth piece with an opportunity to start. Not the opposite. And I cant see us picking up his 5th year option this next offseason either after 2 full seasons injured. Cant invest that much money into a guy that's missed 2 years.

Lesson of this. Is JD has to draft the guy that is actually better. Don't draft the combine warriors of the world. 

Next year he is hopefully a trade chip.

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

A gamble that did not work in out in your first year as GM in a loaded OT class looks real bad in hindsight with Wirfs killing it down in Tampa. I have a bigger problem with that than I do taking a gamble on Mekhi's health, but that was a gaffe too and hopefully this is a lesson learned on how to navigate around players who are clearly injury prone and have questions about their passion for the game. Hopefully we can sign Duane Brown but we aren't going to be the only team in on him.

I still believe Wirfs would not be nearly as good at LT on this team as he is on a TB led O. I liken it to all the good OL’s in NE with TB. When they leave NE they are not as good. I am not saying Wirfs would not be a starting OT here, just that he would not be as good as he is now.  But I certainly get your point.  JD has killed it these last two drafts, though. 

Did Becton have an injury history at Louisville? I don’t recall.

I like Brown but he’s never played RT. He could very well end up with Fantitis - the unexplainable knack for playing one side of an OL well and the other side like Wayne Hunter (Hunter, Wayne - see turnstile). 

16 hours ago, xrade said:

I still believe Wirfs would not be nearly as good at LT on this team as he is on a TB led O. I liken it to all the good OL’s in NE with TB. When they leave NE they are not as good. I am not saying Wirfs would not be a starting OT here, just that he would not be as good as he is now.  But I certainly get your point.  JD has killed it these last two drafts, though. 

I like Brown but he’s never played RT. He could very well end up with Fantitis - the unexplainable knack for playing one side of an OL well and the other side like Wayne Hunter (Hunter, Wayne - see turnstile). 

I'm not a fan of really big football players. They tend to get hurt more and have longer recovery time. 

16 hours ago, xrade said:

Wirfs was a much more polished prospect who played for a power 5 team that has had a good history developing offensive lineman. He was always the safer pick. Becton may have always had the highest ceiling but the probability of him reaching it was always a  major question mark. That being said..Wirfs hasn't missed a snap in 2 seasons. That alone ends the Wirfs argument. We have to bring in at least 2 veterans with Fant not being 100% as well. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Wirfs was a much more polished prospect who played for a power 5 team that has had a good history developing offensive lineman. He was always the safer pick. Becton may have always had the highest ceiling but the probability of him reaching it was always a  major question mark. That being said..Wirfs hasn't missed a snap in 2 seasons. That alone ends the Wirfs argument. We have to bring in at least 2 veterans with Fant not being 100% as well. 

Wirfs also had a wrestling background which if you guys know anything about wrestling, it is the most grueling sport and you need to be in incredible shape to even be good at it. Talk about the complete opposite ends of the spectrum. 

To build off that I think we need to do whatever we have to do to sign Duane Brown and stick him at LT and swing Fant back to RT. They have been on the same o-line at those same spots together in Seattle, it only makes sense. Brown is a better option for us than Riley Reiff would've been. Mitchell can keep developing and that swing tackle role is important in this offense, that's a good role for him for now. If Fant can't get healthy we might have a problem.

Edited by jetjuice