GDT: Pre-Season Week 1 - Green Bay Packers

GW21

1 hour ago, struby3 said:

I don't know about Goodson. He was really frustrating to watch at Iowa, because he never broke tackles. If you put a hand on him, he fell down. He went down so easily tonight too. He has no dog in him whatsoever. I'm rooting for him, but I can't see him making an impact in the NFL.

I want him to be Nyheim Hines... but to be honest, yeah he's probably a Jamychal Hasty level player at best. Fringe rb4 PS type.

It's preseason though, so a man can dream!

I know that Drake Jackson was kinda penciled in as the Dee Ford guy, but he reminded me more of Ronald Blair yesterday. Both long armed shorter guys at 270ish, going through guys off the edge. Maybe it was the excellent play on the boot action - it looked like Blair against Russell Wilson. I wouldn't say no to a Ronald Blair 2019 season from Drake. 

• Like 1

I will need to watch the game again and focus on the OL, but I thought Banks looked pretty solid last night. Opened up a few nice holes and held up for the most part in pass protection. While Budford was mauling Dlineman on the ground, I did see him get beat right off the snap a few times. That's something to watch for when the season begins. But both are going to be very good in the run game from the opening week. 

Skule needs to be part of the first cuts. That man is terrible.

Dennard is just too slow to be a starting nickel. Womack is on a different level. 

It was good to see Moore out there but he got beat badly by Doubs. Granted, those are pretty impossible routes for safeties to defend and DBs in general. That's why it is so hard to play CB in today's game. He needs to be primarily the deep safety and not the one that comes up at the LOS to cover the slot. That's Ward's role when the real season starts. 

The DL and LB groups are super loaded. My goodness, there's going to be multiple NFL rotational/starter caliber players we release from those two positional groups.

• Like 3

I know the point of Steph's tweet is Lance but pay attention to Banks. Beautiful rep. 

Also, the Lance incomplete to Gray:

Initially I thought Lance was late on this throw but I don't know if that is really the case here. Gray did not give Lance much room to fit the ball here. I don't know if it was a bad route or his positioning, but Lance actually got rid of the ball fairly quick here. Gray needed to widen the defender a bit more before running his out route. You have to give the QB some to make that throw. One thing is obvious watching Lance and the other two QBs on the roster....I think you guys can guess what lol.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

See, you did not even need PFF's stats to know he had a good game...Should have just listened to me LOL.

And I also mentioned while Burford had some really nice highlights, his pass protection was less than ideal. Banks looks to be the better player of the two at the moment. Though, this was Burford's first game action at guard in a while so that could have played a part in his performance. I just didn't like how he was whiffing right at the snap. Needs to clean that up going forward. 

• Like 2

A few things to note from my perspective.

- Lance looked good. Im not going to go further than that really. I really like his pocket presence and mobility.  

- I thought TDP showed elite vision and I like his physicality when he runs. Sermon just does not impress me. Hasty continues to show he can play, albeit against 2s and 3s. 

- None of the WR stood out to me. Gray has speed, but we knew that already.

- Banks and Burford looked good. Burford is raw, you can see it, but he has great size and length. Skule needs to be cut today. It's over for him. I watched Jason Poe very closely, he looked really good. He is undersized and at time can have trouble anchoring, but when he is tasked with getting to the 2nd level his athleticism comes out and if he gets his hands on you he mauls people. 

- Drake Jackson looked the part. Speed, size, strength. Touray was really good as well. Hyder didn't look great. Kinlaw just doesn't do much for me. He has zero pass rush and gets moved out of the run gaps too much. 

- Womack is super active. He seems to have good feel for the position. If he isn't the starting NCB I would be blown away. Ambry on the other hand has all the skill and looks the part, but looks lost when he needs to make a play. 

Edited by clarkfn2284
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

See, you did not even need PFF's stats to know he had a good game...Should have just listened to me LOL.

Humorously, pff has us with the worst pass blocking grade in the NFL for the first week of preseason. 37.8 (so far... Not every team included)

We also had the lowest defensive grade, run defensive grade if you're into the pff thing

Spencer Burford had a 2.8 pass blocking grade 😂

3 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

A few things to note from my perspective.

- Lance looked good. Im not going to go further than that really. I really like his pocket presence and mobility.  

- I thought TDP showed elite vision and I like his physicality when he runs. Sermon just does not impress me. Hasty continues to show he can play, albeit against 2s and 3s. 

- None of the WR stood out to me. Gray has speed, but we knew that already.

- Banks and Burford looked good. Burford is raw, you can see it, but he has great size and length. Skule needs to be cut today. It's over for him. I watched Jason Poe very closely, he looked really good. He is undersized and at time can have trouble anchoring, but when he is tasked with getting to the 2nd level his athleticism comes out and if he gets his hands on you he mauls people. 

- Drake Jackson looked the part. Speed, size, strength. Touray was really good as well. Hyder didn't look great. Kinlaw just doesn't do much for me. He has zero pass rush and gets moved out of the run gaps too much. 

- Womack is super active. He seems to have good feel for the position. If he isn't the starting NCB I would be blown away. Ambry on the other hand has all the skill and looks the part, but looks lost when he needs to make a play. 

Ambry looked good on both pass attempts that came his way. On the deep throw, he did not panic and played through the hands and forced an incompletion and on the second one he got his hand on the ball but got an unfortunate tip going to the WR. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Humorously, pff has us with the worst pass blocking grade in the NFL for the first week of preseason. 37.8 (so far... Not every team included)

We also had the lowest defensive grade, run defensive grade if you're into the pff thing

Spencer Burford had a 2.8 pass blocking grade 😂

Honestly, Burford allowed quite a bit of pressures just off the snap so he was late to react. It was something you see in road games but he was probably not used to the NFL game speed being so fast.