? Week 11: Buccaneers (3-6) @ Dolphins (4-5)

bucsfan333

The whole idea of "don't give up the big play" has killed us all year. Guys are so worried about getting beaten deep, they're giving up everything short. We are (or were) giving up almost 70% completions. Combine that with all the stupid stunts and shuffling we're doing up front and QBs have zero pressure AND they get rid of the ball almost immediately. So it's the worst of both, on our part.

We've been running kind of a hybrid 4/3 3/3/5 defense lately. I think the idea is to try and disguise what our safeties are doing to try and confuse QBs. The whole one guy drops deep, one plays robber is a cool concept in theory. But it's only worked like 10 of 26 times. I understand why communication is so important with this type of defense. But we need to try something different, whether we're communicating or not. Evans is the only safety we have that can really play center field. So we need to take advantage of that and use Ward to HIS strength; around the LOS. Especially in the 3/3/5. It doesn't matter if other teams know what we're doing (for the most part) if we execute. But we try to get cutesy and end up confusing ourselves.

@indifference , you made me think about what has changed with the defense this year from last year.  So, I dug into some stats from last year.  Full disclosure, I went with the entire season stats as opposed to a half of a season because I'm trying to get a complete picture of the Mike Smith defense.  As we all know, the Bucs had the best 3rd down % efficiency in the league last season.  What is interesting is the team had the 3rd fewest 3rd down attempts against them in the league.  By comparison, they have the 8th most against this season.  They finished last season 22nd in yds/game this year 28th, so I do think the luster of the 3rd down efficiency is diminished because with the amount of yards given up would suggest 1st and 2nd down were pretty plentiful.  Considering they were 24th in yds/play makes the 3rd down efficiency even less exciting, while this year 28th.  Finally Pts/gm was 14th last season, while this year it is currently at 16 th.

Basically, Mike Smith's defense pretty much relies on creating the turnover.  They bleed a lot of yards and rely on the offense to make a mistake, which is not surprising considering the passive zone defense they generally play.  Basically, I don't think a whole lot has changed from last year to this season, just stats in certain areas have been rearranged. 

16 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

@indifference , you made me think about what has changed with the defense this year from last year.  So, I dug into some stats from last year.  Full disclosure, I went with the entire season stats as opposed to a half of a season because I'm trying to get a complete picture of the Mike Smith defense.  As we all know, the Bucs had the best 3rd down % efficiency in the league last season.  What is interesting is the team had the 3rd fewest 3rd down attempts against them in the league.  By comparison, they have the 8th most against this season.  They finished last season 22nd in yds/game this year 28th, so I do think the luster of the 3rd down efficiency is diminished because with the amount of yards given up would suggest 1st and 2nd down were pretty plentiful.  Considering they were 24th in yds/play makes the 3rd down efficiency even less exciting, while this year 28th.  Finally Pts/gm was 14th last season, while this year it is currently at 16 th.

Basically, Mike Smith's defense pretty much relies on creating the turnover.  They bleed a lot of yards and rely on the offense to make a mistake, which is not surprising considering the passive zone defense they generally play.  Basically, I don't think a whole lot has changed from last year to this season, just stats in certain areas have been rearranged. 

Thanks for the info. We are on the positive swing last year IIRC with TO differential which was key to our 9-7 season. This year I bet the + and - is much closer.

3 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He fits the mold of their quick passing game. He just needs to work on his routes, which he'll definitely get in New England.

Yea I actually liked Reedy, not just his return ability but I thought he was alright in preseason too some of the screens and stuff we ran with im were pretty nice.    Only time will tell im sure he will fit in nicely with the Pats he has a great attitude and a stand up guy which is what they like.

Archived