GDT: So there's this thing coming up called a preseason game vs KC

JAF-N72EX

dokGb1Q.png
X4XOQEl.pngFrDhYNB.png

We all know wins and losses don't matter in preseason but what are you looking forward to seeing the most?

My opinion

1) I'm just glad to see bears football in any capacity.

2) What I wanna see is if Eberflus keeps his promise and plays the starters for atleast a min of 1 full drive.

3) As a bonus, I would also like see a fringe roster player like Dazz show flashes in both the return game and as a receiver who can stretch the defense.  He has the capabilities of doing both.

I like the first two but after that I would settle for seeing Jones  play against someone not from the same locker room.  If he plays well maybe Jenkins is motivated to off to play any position that gets him closer to the field on Sundays.

I want to see the offense make pushing downfield look relatively easy.... and I'm kind of hoping the starters stay in for a series against the KC 2nd team Defense.

I'll be watching the OL very closely as well... and I'm curious to see the DL getting pressure when I frankly wouldn't be that high on the grouping we have there, especially with a few guys playing in positions I wouldn't expect them to (Tonga at 3T instead of nose for example)

Beyond those, give me a WR that can separate themselves, and as always, since RB was my position back in the HS days,  I've always got a soft spot to see the running game..... both rushing in the "new scheme" but also as receivers.

Outside of no injuries to anyone of consequence, I’d like to see the OL look capable. I’ll be mostly focused on Brax since he’s the obvious unknown in the starting group.

With Brax, hopefully we can look at what we see with realistic expectations too, because he’s going to get beat at some point whether that’s tomorrow or another game. Every OL get beat on occasion. This site charted over 70 OT in 2021. Even the very best OT allowed a pressure about 2-3% of the time. That’s about once a game from the Lane Johnson/Trent Williams/Tryon Smith tier. Those around the middle of the chart, which should consist mostly of your average starting caliber NFL OT, allowed pressures on about 5% of their snaps. So once for every 20 pass blocking reps or so. That is the context in which we should be evaluating Brax’s performance IMO. Him giving up a single sack or pressure or taking a single penalty tomorrow or in any one game won’t mean he is a bum, nor will him not allowing a sack or pressure or taking a penalty in any given game necessarily mean he’s going to be a stud.

FWIW, per that same site, our presumed starters’ pressure allowed rates in 2021 were:

Reiff: 4.98% (32nd amongst tackles)

Whitehair: 4.71% (36th amongst guards)

Schofield: 3.97% (25th amongst guards)

*Patrick: 3.00% (20th amongst centers)

*Mustipher 3.99% (30th amongst centers)

All were pretty middle of the pack individually for their respective positions in this regard provided these stats are accurate. I don’t know this site very well, so if their data is inaccurate I’m gonna blame Google. 🤷‍♂️ 

Have to love how much we are all about to overreact to a pre-season game but it’s impossible not to when we haven’t seen football for so long haha…guys I am looking forward to seeing…

Braxton Jones…can he be the LT this franchise has been needing for years?

Justin Fields…how does he look is a scheme that is tailored to his needs?

Justin Jones…can he be an impactful 3-tech?

Jaquan Brisker…is he as good as advertised and looks like he has been around for years?

Few guys deeper down the roster…

Trestan Ebner

Dazz Newsome

Ja’Tyre Carter

Micah Dew-Treadway

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Have to love how much we are all about to overreact to a pre-season game but it’s impossible not to when we haven’t seen football for so long haha…guys I am looking forward to seeing…

Lol I can already see it

If Fields tears it up then he's gonna have such a great year and the offense is going to surprise everyone.  If he bombs then he's doomed, the offense is going to be the worst in the league, and they should just trade Fields.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Lol I can already see it

If Fields tears it up then he's gonna have such a great year and the offense is going to surprise everyone.  If he bombs then he's doomed, the offense is going to be the worst in the league, and they should just trade Fields.

100%.

Also, agree @Madmike90 about Ebner. He’s apparently looked electric in practice. Cohen like versatility type stuff, except that he’s 5’11”. THAT would be a find for this offense. Motion that out of the backfield or line it up in the slot. Create mismatches.

I’m getting way too hyped for a meaningless preseason game, dammit. Football has been gone too long.