Preseason Week 1: Giants @ Patriots

Acgott

1st half summary: Jones looked all right (6/10 69 yards). Taylor looks all right too. Golladay dropped an easy 3rd down catch. Aaron Robinson struggled; most of the Pats' success through the air came from targeting him.

Thibs was out there for a few series but it's Beavers playing like the 1st-round prospect. He's all over the field.

Some decent runs from Brightwell; Richie James and Collin Johnson make solid contributions, despite difficulties handling the ball. 10-7 Giants. 

Edited by y*so*blu

2nd half summary: Pats rookie Bailey Zappe looks good but what QB doesn't playing against us? TD drive for him.

Davis Webb takes over and we answer right back, thanks to Brightwell. We're up 17-14 (believe it and it will happen). 20-14 after FG. Pats come back to life in 4th quarter and go up by 1. Giants drive and ice it with another FG as time expires, 23-21.

Some pretty good individual efforts tonight. Run blocking solid. Offensive line needs work. Secondary too. Pats picked up our blitzes too easily.

Edited by y*so*blu

My thoughts on last nights game.... 

Not bad, overall not bad. 

Offense was very vanilla, not a whole lot of exotic play calling. Alot of basic zone blocking and guys just really getting their feet wet in this new offense. Jones did a decent job going 6/10 69yds. 

Definitely like what i saw out of the starting oline. To me Andrew Thomas is a pro-bowler this season. Evan Neal got beat for a sack in the 2nd series but i give him a pass as its his first live action. He did a solid job other than that 1 instance. I also like what i saw from Glowinski. 

Kenny Golladay is the most overpaid WR in the NFL. Im sorry but this dude makes Jones look bad with that drop on the 2yd line. He needs to get his butt in gear or he's off this squad end of this season. 

Tyrod Taylor looked alot more comfortable in this offense than DJ did and im pretty high on that because should DJ get hurt or lose his job, i think Taylor is at least a viable back up. Very creative when the pocket broke down with his ability to scramble and keep plays alive. 

Defense i wasnt impressed with. Nothing really stood out to me. Aaron Robinson had a very bad night. And that taunting call was absolute horse--it. No way at all should that have been called. But be that as it may, he gave up a 2 yd TD and made Wilkerson look like Jamar Chase. Not too good on that one side with him expecting to be that #2 cb. 

Thibs was fun to watch, it looked like he was able to get a lineman on the Pats to jump offsides and create a false start. 

Darrian Beavers seemed to be roaming all over, pretty nice play out there by him. 

My issue with the defense is i fail yet to see alot of push up front. Big Kat didnt play and Dex needs another guy to help out. Azeez didnt play either, so well see what comes next. 

My player of the game: Graham Gano. Guy is in mid-season form already. Kickers matter alot, they can win u games, just like he did last night. Well done. 

• Like 1

Giants football is back boys! My takeaways:

Darrian Beavers looked really, really good. Not only was he playing very fast and aggressive, but he was moving players around to the right spots and playing super smart, all with the 1s and 2s. I'm super impressed with him. Not to be outdone, other mid-round pick LB Micah Mcfadden looked good as well, also playing fast and aggressive. 

Aaron Robinson got targeted a lot, and I'm still definitely worried about that CB2 spot, but I don't think he had as down a game as a lot of people said he did. Yes he was picked on, but the completions against him were 2/5. He broke up 2 of those passes as well. I think the penalties dampened the positive nature of those plays- one was an illegal contact on Andrew Adams, the other was a really, really BS taunting penalty where he did nothing wrong. Obviously he needs to establish his presence more so he doesn't get picked on every passing down of every game, but it wasn't entirely discouraging. He made 2 really nice plays playing through the hands of the receiver.

Our RBs looked really good. Who knew Gary Brightwell could run like that? Depth there is important if Saquon continues to be unable to stay healthy.

Evan Neal is going to have serious growing pains this year, but I'm not concerned about him at all long term. We already went through this once very recently with Andrew Thomas. We need to be patient with Neal.

Ben Bredeson looked really good at C. He should be the backup there to Feliciano for sure, at least until Gates comes back. Even after though, now he offers G/C versatility, which is great.

Bellinger looked really good as well. His blocking is legit, which is rare to see from a rookie TE. He's going to be an impact starter, even if the stats don't reflect it.

Worst thing about this game was how bad all of our WRs looked outside of Richie James. Golladay looks uninterested and had a costly drop, Collin Johnson had some nice plays but also had a few drops and a fumble, Wan'Dale didn't get targeted, and Toney was injured (again) and didn't play. We need Shep back in the worst way, because there is 0 consistency in the WR room right now. Shep is always hurt, but at least you can rely on him when he is on the field and playing.

Oh yeah, one more important thing- Jamie Gillan had really nice distance and hang time on his punts. Seemed to have good control as well. Very encouraging to see from a previously iffy player. TMac said in interviews he worked specifically with Gillan on hang time and distance, so that is great to see the work paying off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Tyrod Taylor looked alot more comfortable in this offense than DJ did and im pretty high on that because should DJ get hurt or lose his job, i think Taylor is at least a viable back up. Very creative when the pocket broke down with his ability to scramble and keep plays alive. 

Totally agree. TBH I think Taylor is going to end up being the starter by mid season. I hope I'm wrong but it just seems to me like DJ just doesn't have what it takes to succeed in this league. Final year of rookie contract, they already declined the 5th year option. If he stinks it up the first half of the season I think they pull the plug.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ny92mike said:

#58 = game ball.

really enjoyed watching even though it was just a pre season game.

Can someone confirm that it's just 3 pre season games that teams play now?

crap it might have been #59 can't remember.  He's the one that got the interception off the tipped ball.  He was all over the place in this game.