More disappointing lone Super Bowl win: Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers?

biggie.

This is a good comp because Rodgers and Young were very similar players. 

Rodgers was more disappointing though. Young was still in the Super Team era and the NFC was brutal then. He had to deal with Gibbs peak Redskins, the Cowboys dynasty, and the  Farve Packers. Getting one in that era was tough because of the circumstance. 

The NFC was more dynamic in terms of teams getting out of it in Rodgers time, but he didn’t have real super teams to deal with. Like if he was in the AFC then he’d be trying to get past the Brady and Manning teams that usually stonewalled everyone else and it would make more sense. But typically Rodgers would just lose to a team that went on a run at the right time. 

The one really dominant team Rodgers lost to in the playoffs was the 2014 Seahawks and honestly he was gifted one of their worst games of the season and should have pulled that out. 

• Like 1

Rodgers.  I have said it before, but I truly believe that the Packers were the best team in 2011, 2014, 2020, and 2021.  But we came away with no rings.  Interesting to note that the NFC has been more volatile in this time frame as well.  I believe that all other NFC teams have been to the playoffs since Rodgers took over.  Only the Saints have not had a top 10 pick since the last Packers top 10 pick, in 2009 (BJ Raji), and the highest pick the Packers have had in that time frame is Rashan Gary at 12 in 2019.  I would also credit the Cowboys and 49ers for rebuilding, twice, in that time frame!  What I am getting at here, is that the Packers have mostly maintained a competitive team, while the new hotness comes in and slaps the crap out of us with a bunch of new young stars.  

The Young led 9ers were the best team in 1994.  They probably could have won any of them from 92-95, but those 90s Cowboys teams were really, really good.  It is also noteworthy that Young was with some of those Montana teams.  He was 2-1 in 1988 and 3-0 in 1989 as a starter, and the 9ers won the Super Bowl both of those seasons.  I was pretty young during that time, but is it that far fetched to think Young could have won as a starter in either of those seasons?  Perhaps at the time, but he did win MVP his first season starting for the 9ers in 1992.  

• Like 4

Easily Aaron Rodgers. The 2013 49ers are the only team that Rodgers has lost to in the playoffs that in my opinion were a significantly better team. Everyone else was either even or they were the better team. The Legion of Boom are the only great team that he really had to go up against too.

19 hours ago, lancerman said:

This is a good comp because Rodgers and Young were very similar players. 

Rodgers was more disappointing though. Young was still in the Super Team era and the NFC was brutal then. He had to deal with Gibbs peak Redskins, the Cowboys dynasty, and the  Farve Packers. Getting one in that era was tough because of the circumstance. 

The NFC was more dynamic in terms of teams getting out of it in Rodgers time, but he didn’t have real super teams to deal with. Like if he was in the AFC then he’d be trying to get past the Brady and Manning teams that usually stonewalled everyone else and it would make more sense. But typically Rodgers would just lose to a team that went on a run at the right time. 

The one really dominant team Rodgers lost to in the playoffs was the 2014 Seahawks and honestly he was gifted one of their worst games of the season and should have pulled that out. 

The only thing I’ll say is that Gibbs redskins were irrelevant after 91 and that was his first real year as a starter. The Cowboys were a “superteam” from 92-95, just 4 years and the Packers I would say 96-97. 

Edited by CP3MVP

On 8/13/2022 at 6:36 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

is it that far fetched to think Young could have won as a starter in either of those seasons?  Perhaps at the time, but he did win MVP his first season starting for the 9ers in 1992.  

Most likely no. Young was still a bit too erratic at times, and 1988 spotlighted that more than anything when he got his chance. Joe Montana had to come off the bench in 1988 to get the win against the Giants which is the game Steve started in, but kept fumbling. Young barely scrapped by the Vikings later on. Two other losses weren't really his fault like the Broncos or Cardinals loss, but all in all it was a mixed bag with Young who really just wasn't there yet. 

• Like 1

Young has 3 rings. He started 3 regular season games as QB 1A in both 88 and 89. So I would not say 1 ring each.

Simms has 2 rings for example, not 1. (though he played way more in 1990)

Young also went 1-2 in the NFCCG vs the Hershel Walker Trade Dynasty Cowboys which everyone called The Super Bowl in those years.

Young lost to Aikman, Aikman, Favre, Favre, Favre, and Chandler. All those teams won another playoff game after except the 1995 Packers, who lost to Dynasty Dallas.

Rodgers got beat by Kaepernick 2x, Eli, Jimmy G 2x, a concussed Wilson, Matt Ryan, and Carson Palmer..

Rodgers gets extra credit losing to Warner in that incredible 51-45 game. The hit causing the fumble was really a penalty and he played great. He also lost to Brady.

Seven of the ten teams he lost to lost the next game.

Both have bad playoff resumes but the degree of difficulty is way different.

Young was a bit like Ken Stabler running into Dolphins and Steelers in the 70s.

Rodgers is just a choke artist.

Edited by SkippyX

17 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

The only thing I’ll say is that Gibbs redskins were irrelevant after 91 and that was his first real year as a starter. The Cowboys were a “superteam” from 92-95, just 4 years and the Packers I would say 96-97. 

Of the 6 years you mention for Dallas and Green Bay, Young had to face those teams in the playoffs 5 times.

29 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Of the 6 years you mention for Dallas and Green Bay, Young had to face those teams in the playoffs 5 times.

And the teams talents were comparable or equal. I’d say they were better than the packers 

On 8/13/2022 at 4:06 PM, Malik said:

Easily Aaron Rodgers. The 2013 49ers are the only team that Rodgers has lost to in the playoffs that in my opinion were a significantly better team. Everyone else was either even or they were the better team. The Legion of Boom are the only great team that he really had to go up against too.

The 2012 49ers, 2015 Cardinals, 2016 Falcons (by postseason, atleast) and 2019 49ers were all significantly better than GB. Some of those teams (2015 and 2019) had already blown out GB in the regular season

2010 and 2014 were probably Rodger’s best teams, followed by 2020. His 2021 team was also quite good but seemed to be playing on borrowed time