Tyrod BENCHED

bigbadbuff23835

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

We KNOW that Tyrod is not the answer. We do not yet know if Nathan Peterman can be the guy.

Let's find out what he can do BEFORE we are faced with the decision of whether we want to trade up in the draft for a QB.

Tyrod or not, this team was not going to make the playoffs, regardless of the fact that we are currently in the 6th seed.

Yup. I agree completely and honestly that's how I think McDermott felt. He's seen enough to say Tyrod can't get us to where we want to go so let's see what we got on the roster before we go get someone in the offseason. 

7 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

He looked pretty good in preseason. He's got a quick release and just seems to have much decision to him when throwing the football. Pitt ran a pro style offense and he was touted as one of the more pro ready prospects. I don't really think he'll be anything more than a footnote in the long list of Bills QBs the last 18 years but I think he'll bring something to the table that Tyrod hasn't shown. 

Also like to mention he is the player that single handily took down the national champions... The Clemson Tigers to hand them their only loss. He also was the QB during the Cuse and  Pitt game that ended up being 76 tobe61. He had a 163 QB rating his senior year and was orginally a QB for a SEC team... Tennessee.

5 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Tyrod is the perfect backup. Can win games, ability to make plays with feet, can manage a game, doesn't turn the ball over, humble, great character... just not good enough when we need to win important games.

My lone issue is he seems super confused by zone coverages. He rarely finds the soft spots in the zone and resorts to checkdowns.

Yup, he certainly won't be the backup here though. Not for the amount of money we'd owe him. I could see him going back to Baltimore. 

I'll admit I'm only shocked by the timing. The season and playoff aspirations really hang on Sunday's game. This means that they are betting on Peterman keeping us in the playoff race, not simply that we are out of the race and it's time to see what he can do. 

This would have been far less surprising if it happened after a Sunday loss in LA.

15 minutes ago, xian3000 said:

I'll admit I'm only shocked by the timing. The season and playoff aspirations really hang on Sunday's game. This means that they are betting on Peterman keeping us in the playoff race, not simply that we are out of the race and it's time to see what he can do. 

This would have been far less surprising if it happened after a Sunday loss in LA.

Yeah, that's the big shock of the whole thing. It certainly seems like coaching staff doesn't have any confidence that Tyrod can keep us in the playoff race or that we are even still in it. It's odd timing but the overall idea I agree with. 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Yeah, that's the big shock of the whole thing. It certainly seems like coaching staff doesn't have any confidence that Tyrod can keep us in the playoff race or that we are even still in it. It's odd timing but the overall idea I agree with. 

Right. They must have been just as disgusted with Tyrod checking down to an RB with Benjamin open downfield as we were. Dennison defended him in a press conference the other day on that very point by saying something like "coverage downfield required that he check down." But that just isn't true on a number of plays. 

6 minutes ago, xian3000 said:

Right. They must have been just as disgusted with Tyrod checking down to an RB with Benjamin open downfield as we were. Dennison defended him in a press conference the other day on that very point by saying something like "coverage downfield required that he check down." But that just isn't true on a number of plays. 

Yup. I think it always gives the front office to see what exactly they have at OC as well. Now you'll know if it's an OC problem, a QB problem or a little bit of both. 

I think the big difference here is Tyrod would never make the throws that Peterman does. That first throw to O'Leary Tyrod would never make. And the throw at 49 seconds into this video he would never make. Taylor only throws to wide open players... In fact I think he has the highest average of separation between receiver and defender on pass attempts this year because he doesn't throw into tight coverage. 

https://youtu.be/aKduBp70kJg

Those thows that Peterman made in that video, Taylor never would have attempted

My biggest gripe with this decision is the fact that McDermott said Tyrod is still our starting QB and then two days later he announces Peterman is the new starter. You want your team to buy in and trust the process, and then you go back on your word. I am by no means defending Tyrod and I want to see what Peterman brings to the table, but I disagree with how this played out. I wonder if this decision was made by Pegula or Beane? I wish McDermott would have said that they're evaluating all positions after that lousy performance instead of making a matter of fact statement.

38 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

My biggest gripe with this decision is the fact that McDermott said Tyrod is still our starting QB and then two days later he announces Peterman is the new starter. You want your team to buy in and trust the process, and then you go back on your word. I am by no means defending Tyrod and I want to see what Peterman brings to the table, but I disagree with how this played out. I wonder if this decision was made by Pegula or Beane? I wish McDermott would have said that they're evaluating all positions after that lousy performance instead of making a matter of fact statement.

I like McDermotts explanation when asked about. He said Sunday Tyrod was the starting QB. Monday he was the starting QB. He slept on it a couple days and decided to make the change. He never said that Taylor was going to start against the Chargers... Just that Tyrod was currently their starter. It doesn't change until they formally annouce the decision. He just didn't want the media making a big deal over something until a final decision on the change was made.

6 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

I like McDermotts explanation when asked about. He said Sunday Tyrod was the starting QB. Monday he was the starting QB. He slept on it a couple days and decided to make the change. He never said that Taylor was going to start against the Chargers... Just that Tyrod was currently their starter. It doesn't change until they formally annouce the decision. He just didn't want the media making a big deal over something until a final decision on the change was made.

We're the Bills. The media doesn't care about us. I find it hard to believe that in two days he had a sudden change of heart. I think the prudent comment after getting completely embarrassed is coming out and saying that all positions will be evaluated. You want your players to trust the process, then be up front and honest with them. Just my two cents. I am interested to see what Peterman can do. I do think he can be a good fit for this offense. He make the basic throws and reads Tyrod couldn't.

Archived