Backup the Brinks Truck

swede700

With all the discussion now surrounding the possibility that the backup QB isn't currently on the roster, use this thread to discuss your thoughts on it, even whether they even should look elsewhere. 

I personally think the options are limited...maybe they could consider bringing in Darnold, but I'm not a huge fan of that, but he could be the equivalent of Marcus Mariota for David Carr a year ago.  Obviously, they wouldn't want to pay his full salary, but maybe something could be worked out.  Who knows.  

23 hours ago, swede700 said:

With all the discussion now surrounding the possibility that the backup QB isn't currently on the roster, use this thread to discuss your thoughts on it, even whether they even should look elsewhere. 

I personally think the options are limited...maybe they could consider bringing in Darnold, but I'm not a huge fan of that, but he could be the equivalent of Marcus Mariota for David Carr a year ago.  Obviously, they wouldn't want to pay his full salary, but maybe something could be worked out.  Who knows.  

David? oh man!

What about Cam Newton?

I would bring in John Wolford if the Rams got rid of him but why would they do that?

And sadly enough the Browns with Brissett, Dobbs and Rosen not sure they keep all three of those guys even when Watson is suspended.  I would take Dobbs or Rosen potentially.  

Carson Strong could be cut by the Eagles I would take him no question.  

And I could see Brian Hoyer being cut because doubt the Patriots cut Zappe.  Then of course if the Steelers cut Mason Rudolph or something but not sure that happens either.  

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Honestly, does it matter. If the starter goes down, you’re screwed anyway. For all the criticism Cousins gets, he’s at least always available. Ignoring the NFLs botched covid policy, has Cousins missed really missed any time?

It does matter. With the weapons that this team has, a somewhat capable backup can probably win a game or two. With Mannion or Mond, I don’t think they can. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It does matter. With the weapons that this team has, a somewhat capable backup can probably win a game or two. With Mannion or Mond, I don’t think they can. 

For 2-3 games, I think Mond can keep you competitive. But there are only a handful of backups who can come in and give you a chance to win long term if your starter goes down. Teams aren’t cutting those guys. 

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

For 2-3 games, I think Mond can keep you competitive. But there are only a handful of backups who can come in and give you a chance to win long term if your starter goes down. Teams aren’t cutting those guys. 

I guess I’m not sure Mond is that guy. 

While I’m sure he’s waiting to see if someone’s starter goes down, I’d be on the phone already with Blake Bortles to try and get him into camp. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I guess I’m not sure Mond is that guy. 

While I’m sure he’s waiting to see if someone’s starter goes down, I’d be on the phone already with Blake Bortles to try and get him into camp. 

I don’t think Bortles is a guy that wins you 2 of 4 games if Cousins goes down. The more games he plays, the fewer games I see him winning. I’d rather get Mond the reps and see if he’s worth keeping around, frankly. 

My short list of backups who I think could perform well enough to make a run are: Foles, Minshew and Keenum. Anything else isn’t worth bringing in.