Backup the Brinks Truck

swede700

On 8/13/2022 at 5:47 AM, SteelKing728 said:

David? oh man!

What about Cam Newton?

I think that the fact that Newton has bounced around from team to team, and played so poorly since returning from his serious bout with Covid, that the permanent after effects of having that strong case of it have ravaged his body so much that he is no longer capable of playing QB even at an NFL back-up level.  Otherwise, he'd have lasted at one of those teams he was signed with that had weak QB rooms, like Carolina.  If they didn't want to keep him even as a back-up, something is very wrong.  He's looked TERRIBLE, ever since returning.  Like he is 50+ years old, and he can't run fast anymore, and he hurts all over, all the time.  

I'm sure that some marginal starting calibre veteran QBs will be dropped by teams whose 2 or 3-year young, recently drafted QBs are ready to be solid in the back-up or starting role.  Rudolph with The Steelers, Brett Rypien with The Broncos, Hundley (Ravens), Josh Rosen (Browns), and others.  But, they ought to make a trade for one of the best of the back-ups that will be planned to be cut in the last cutdown to 53, a day or 2 before the cutdown, so they can be sure to get someone good enough to not sabotage the team into losing EVERY game they are forced to play without Cousins, someone who can move the ball enough for The Vikings' skilled offensive players to be able to score over 20 points (unlike Mannion or, potentially Mond, over his head against strong NFL defences).  Giving up a 5th or 6th Round choice will be worth possibly being able to stay in the playoff race IF Cousins is out for 2-5 games, whereas keeping only Mond (who is not yet ready to start in The NFL), or both Mond and Mannion, would result in their having almost no chance at all to win even one of those games. 

I was never all that fond of Newton even when he was at his best and now that he's 33 yrs old, so the mobility he had when he was 25 is pretty much gone and that had more to do with him not being a quality NFL QB than having Covid.  If we know anything about Covid is that it affects different people in different ways.  When I had it earlier this year, it was like a really bad cold, but for 2-3 months even after that I had a sore throat that just wouldn't go away, until I started drinking Elderberry juice (apparently, that was a miracle cure 🤣).  For others, it could turn into Long Covid and ravage them, like it may have done to Cam. 

Kirk is already back at the building, so it likely hasn't affected him in that way...and the plus about it happening now, is that he'll likely not get it again during the season (although you never truly know), so I'm not all that concerned about a backup having to fill-in for that reason.  If Kirk gets injured, we're screwed either way, because a guy like Mason Rudolph ain't gonna save the season either, so I'm personally not in favor of trying all that hard to necessarily get a better backup.  If they can get one after cuts or trading a 7th rounder prior to cuts, fine, but no, I wouldn't be fond of trading a 5th or 6th rounder.  I don't think they're in that dire of a situation.  I also don't believe they're in an "ALL-IN" situation either, so it's not like when they traded for Bradford.  There was a reason why Kwesi called this a competitive rebuild.  I believe they're going to try to still be competitive and try to win as long as they can stay healthy, but they aren't going to sacrifice their long-term plan just to try and save this particular season in case something goes wrong.

• Like 1

speaking of backing up the Brinks truck...

years ago, i was working on a two story roof of a downtown office for a couple of weeks that was next door to a one story bank. given our good viewpoint, we noticed that every thursday a moderate size armored truck would back up to the bank, to deliver cash for friday transactions the next day. one guard would walk in to the bank with a couple of canvas duffle bags while the other guard stood outside looking bored. the second guard had a sidearm of course, but it was always holstered.

but once a month, a large, and i mean LARGE, armored truck would back up to the bank and guard #1 would push basically an armored shopping cart in to the bank while guard #2 stood very much at attention with a shotgun.

that's my Brinks story, and i figured you'd want to know....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

speaking of backing up the Brinks truck...

years ago, i was working on a two story roof of a downtown office for a couple of weeks that was next door to a one story bank. given our good viewpoint, we noticed that every thursday a moderate size armored truck would back up to the bank, to deliver cash for friday transactions the next day. one guard would walk in to the bank with a couple of canvas duffle bags while the other guard stood outside looking bored. the second guard had a sidearm of course, but it was always holstered.

but once a month, a large, and i mean LARGE, armored truck would back up to the bank and guard #1 would push basically an armored shopping cart in to the bank while guard #2 stood very much at attention with a shotgun.

that's my Brinks story, and i figured you'd want to know....

Oceans 14 starring Vike Daddy…

• Like 1