WASHINGTON VS CAROLINA PRE-SEASON

ARTMONK HOF

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t know man? I’ve been watching this dude since his first game in college and he’s been a stud ever since. This is pretty much what I expected to see today. I know I’m bias because I’m a fan of his but I just do not understand how anyone who watched this guy in college could agree with him being available in the 5th round? Not saying you said that at all by the way. 

He just reminds me so much of Russell Wilson. Not saying he’ll have that kind of career but they just looked like they belonged. Maybe he never becomes anything but he just looks like he can ball. 

Well I remember in the draft during the 4th rd "oh my Howell was available and I thought he would be a good value pick in the 4th but we selected the safety forgot his his name (Temporary brain infarct LO). So in hte 5th rd I figured we would go in another direction and low and hold we picked him in the 5th rd. When we selected him I immediately mentioned you here. He reminds me of a Baker Mayfield. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Looks like to me this was Curl’s fault. Holcomb is expecting Curl & him to pass off the crossers but Curl didn’t.

Not sure who's fault it is 1st instinct was Curl but more you watch the play Jackson is man covering a slant and Jamin Davis is 15 yards down field on sideline so Curl being in man on his guy makes sense while Cole looks to be in pure zone doesn't make sense.

Now it could be bad comms where Cole is trying to pass his guy to Curl and pick up Curls guy on cross too.

• Like 1

Why can we NOT get off the field on 3rd down?

Our run-d is pretty solid. Not Great....but pretty good.

Our pass-d is just like last yr. 

And it seems like it don't matter who is the opponents QB. It can be Baker, PJ....nope.

1st down.

Is it a talent issue? Do we just suck in the secondary?

Is it Jack Del Rio? Is he just that bad or overrated?

Who is it?

Who's to blame?

I just for the life of me, cannot figure it out.

I'm not worried about the Offense......

But I'm afraid, we're gonna make Trever Lawrence look like John Elway come week 1.

We have GOT to figure this out. It's pissin' me off....

2 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

Not sure who's fault it is 1st instinct was Curl but more you watch the play Jackson is man covering a slant and Jamin Davis is 15 yards down field on sideline so Curl being in man on his guy makes sense while Cole looks to be in pure zone doesn't make sense.

Now it could be bad comms where Cole is trying to pass his guy to Curl and pick up Curls guy on cross too.

Yeah, that’s what I think. I think Cole is trying to pass off the crosser & then Cole is going to pick up Curl’s crosser but the communication wasn’t there between them. Impossible to know who’s fault it is but I lean towards Cole bc Jamin, Curl & WJ3 are all playing man from the jump of the play.

49 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Why can we NOT get off the field on 3rd down?

Our run-d is pretty solid. Not Great....but pretty good.

Our pass-d is just like last yr. 

And it seems like it don't matter who is the opponents QB. It can be Baker, PJ....nope.

1st down.

Is it a talent issue? Do we just suck in the secondary?

Is it Jack Del Rio? Is he just that bad or overrated?

Who is it?

Who's to blame?

I just for the life of me, cannot figure it out.

I'm not worried about the Offense......

But I'm afraid, we're gonna make Trever Lawrence look like John Elway come week 1.

We have GOT to figure this out. It's pissin' me off....

Some of it is giving up positive plays on 1st or 2nd down & then offenses have short yardage to get a 1st.

Some of it is break downs in coverage or mistakes from our young defenders.

Some of it our defenders they keep choosing (Mayo) in coverage just aren’t good enough. Mayo is a run down Lb. Having him in coverage in todays NFL is a huge problem but when you’re playing a bunch of young guys for most of the game you want a vet in there to play MLB & call the D.

I’m not worried about Trevor Lawrence bc we’ll have BSJ out there week 1 - not Danny Johnson as our 3rd CB. Let’s be honest, Baker Mayfield is more experienced than Lawrence & so is Sam Darnold. 

12 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Ladies & Gentleman...

That's why you trade down.

Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, sleepy Davis. You don’t just trade down for the sake of trading down!!! You trade down because you have Olave and Dotson probably graded similar and you say I get these extra picks and still get the player you want. But I also remember people saying we didn’t get enough at the time of the trade because the rounds. It’s not about the round it’s about making the best picks this time I personally believe they killed it. Also Butler and Mathis flashed. Turner will be pivotal this season so yeah It’s a heck of a start but luckily it seems like all these guys have the mental makeup you want to build your team around.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4209 said:

Well I remember in the draft during the 4th rd "oh my Howell was available and I thought he would be a good value pick in the 4th but we selected the safety forgot his his name (Temporary brain infarct LO). So in hte 5th rd I figured we would go in another direction and low and hold we picked him in the 5th rd. When we selected him I immediately mentioned you here. He reminds me of a Baker Mayfield. 

Percy Butler is the S we took in round 4. Honestly, I’m definitely rooting for the guy but I didn’t like the pick. I wanted Brandon Smith, the LB from Penn State.

As for Howell, he reminds me of Baker but with humility. Baker is a talented QB but he’s a cocky sob. Howell is a calm, confident guy & seems like a great leader; everyone has always said that about him. 

I like @lavar703’S comp of Russell Wilson eventhough it’s a very very lofty comp. Howell just carries himself a lot like Russell Wilson. He’s a calm & confident guy. I love the pick, I would’ve supported the pick in round 1 or 2 tbh. At worst we got ourselves a great back up QB, but hopefully we’ve found ourselves more.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, sleepy Davis. You don’t just trade down for the sake of trading down!!! You trade down because you have Olave and Dotson probably graded similar and you say I get these extra picks and still get the player you want. But I also remember people saying we didn’t get enough at the time of the trade because the rounds. It’s not about the round it’s about making the best picks this time I personally believe they killed it. Also Butler and Mathis flashed. Turner will be pivotal this season so yeah It’s a heck of a start but luckily it seems like all these guys have the mental makeup you want to build your team around.

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

10 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, sleepy Davis. You don’t just trade down for the sake of trading down!!!

You trade down because you have Olave and Dotson probably graded similar and you say I get these extra picks and still get the player you want. But I also remember people saying we didn’t get enough at the time of the trade because the rounds. It’s not about the round it’s about making the best picks this time I personally believe they killed it. Also Butler and Mathis flashed. Turner will be pivotal this season so yeah It’s a heck of a start but luckily it seems like all these guys have the mental makeup you want to build your team around.

I would say that in 08 they traded down bc they had all of the WRs graded as late 1st or 2nd rounders. So, the trade down did make sense. Vinny just picked the wrong ones. He should’ve taken Jordy Nelson or DJax over Devin Thomas. Vinny also  stupidly took a TE when we needed a DL like Calais Campbell badly on our DL.

Like we passed on Jordy Nelson for Devin Thomas (which I didn’t hate that pick bc he had raw talent but he never developed into a good route runner) I hated the Fred Davis and Malcom Kelly picks. We had Cooley, we didn’t need to spend a 2nd rounder on a TE. Malcom Kelly has bad knees, he was really talented but his knees wouldn’t allow him to show off that talent.

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Some of it is giving up positive plays on 1st or 2nd down & then offenses have short yardage to get a 1st.

Some of it is break downs in coverage or mistakes from our young defenders.

Some of it our defenders they keep choosing (Mayo) in coverage just aren’t good enough. Mayo is a run down Lb. Having him in coverage in todays NFL is a huge problem but when you’re playing a bunch of young guys for most of the game you want a vet in there to play MLB & call the D.

I’m not worried about Trevor Lawrence bc we’ll have BSJ out there week 1 - not Danny Johnson as our 3rd CB. Let’s be honest, Baker Mayfield is more experienced than Lawrence & so is Sam Darnold. 

You should've drafted or signed someone better than Mayo. Dean was right there in the 2nd round. Other Vet LBs were available during Free Agency yet they CHOOSE to keep Mayo. So maybe it's just time to Blame Rivera for not being able to fix this problem. 

51 minutes ago, DCNative said:

You should've drafted or signed someone better than Mayo. Dean was right there in the 2nd round. Other Vet LBs were available during Free Agency yet they CHOOSE to keep Mayo. So maybe it's just time to Blame Rivera for not being able to fix this problem. 

All the blame definitely goes to Rivera. He’s let JDR pick his LBs IMO & JDR chose Mayo. They should’ve definitely drafted or signed a more athletic LB bc todays NFL requires LBs to be able to cover more. 

I still don’t hate the Mathis pick. Of course, if you fire Sam Mills III in February & promote Jeff Zoniga to DL coach then, then you keep Matt Ioannidis & don’t feel the need that you have to draft Mathis so then you take Dean in round 2 as you said. 

I still would’ve taken Brando Smith in round 4 over Percy Butler. That would’ve been my choice.

Edited by turtle28