Len Dawson enters hospice, Update: Len Passes Away

Chiefs_5627

As far as multi-talented goes he's up there with Madden.

He's someone I've always been aware of from game of the week highlights as a young kid to those AFL NFL books I would get out of the school library in 4th grade.

Vintage Star Quarterbacks Of The NFL By Bill Libby/Random House Book 13 Of  17 | eBay

Back in my day the internet was called books. 

He was great on Inside the NFL.  Lots of players can pull off being in the booth or being the hot take guy but few had the presence to be the host of a show and Dawson was one of them. I would always try to catch the Chiefs broadcasts which I could get on that new-fangled internet for about 20 years. Dawson and Holthus were a perfect pairing. What a great player and a classy guy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Been trying to get my Mom hospice care but the family resisted because she did as she felt it was 'giving up.' So I broke after the burden became too much with me being the youngest, living here near her and working in healthcare the burden fell on me... Now my brother has taken it on and moved in with her and now he is breaking down. My sister is coming for a visit of just over a month and doesn't plan to take on much of the burden because of being worried about her own health. I needed hospice to help me earlier before I broke and now I don't care and say sell the house and put her in a facility. They disagree but I'm making it clear to not expect me to go back to helping as I'm not sacrificing my mental health to do things the way they want especially if they aren't even looking into other options. Hospice can help those who are helping before they get broken like I did and shut down/off. Wish more people understood that. I would NEVER wish someone to witness a loved one deteriorate. I'm so messed up I want out of healthcare after more than 2.5 decades of work. Hopefully just need a 2 year break but...ugh...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He lived a nice long life, and is one of the best NFL players ever. Personally I still don't think his legacy as the Chiefs best triggerman hasn't been surpassed yet. Obviously we'll see what Mahomes does. Anyway, his soul is at peace now. 

BTW I've had this reoccurring shower thought that once NFL legends pass on maybe they get to all participate in an afterlife football league, and just play pickup games with whomever they want. Everyone is in their prime, and there are no injuries. Like a Valhalla for NFL players. Dawson would obviously be be a starter in a lot of those games. 

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He lived a nice long life, and is one of the best NFL players ever. Personally I still don't think his legacy as the Chiefs best triggerman hasn't been surpassed yet. Obviously we'll see what Mahomes does. Anyway, his soul is at peace now. 

BTW I've had this reoccurring shower thought that once NFL legends pass on maybe they get to all participate in an afterlife football league, and just play pickup games with whomever they want. Everyone is in their prime, and there are no injuries. Like a Valhalla for NFL players. Dawson would obviously be be a starter in a lot of those games. 

Actually they still get injuries but they are so tough in Valhalla that they snap the broken bones back into place, spit on it and rub some dirt and it instantly heals. This way they all get to brag about beating each other up every night while we dream. A true heaven for those who loved the game/sport/arena. 

• Like 1