Preseason Week 1 post game thoughts

ThatJerkDave

MVP of the game  

19 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of the game

• Romeo Doubs
    • ROMEO DOUBS (in capitals)

Just now, Refugee said:

That was my observation, he was moving bodies, as well as his own. Lot of athleticism in that massive frame. I saw an interview he did next to KC, Myers is a giant at C and is learning across from one of the best. 

I saw that interview too. He made Kenny Clark look almost small in comparison. I knew Myers was taller, but he looked wider at the shoulders.   

Rewatched on big screen this morning (just sort of followed along on my phone last night). 

-was really expecting the OL to be a sieve from camp reports, but they were very solid.  Love getting it out quick probably helped, but not as scared as I was before the game. 

-Doubs can get open but, man, he’s gotta catch better.  Drops and bobbles all night. Hopefully, just opening night jitters. 

-Not feeling it with Love, but I guess it’s better than before. 

-I kinda kept on eye on Quay and he didn’t get much of a chance to do much, but he does seem a bit light to me. Hope he can hold up on the inside runs.  

-just in general, our run defense was pretty abysmal.  SF busted off a bunch of 5-10 yard runs. Didn’t pay enough attention to place blame, but maybe just crummy back up LBs?

-I saw some Deguara criticism, but he looked all right to me. Definitely a big step up from Davis. 

-was pretty happy with Amari overall. At least saw a little something, which I didn’t see nothing all last season. 

Edited by mikebpackfan

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If I understand the 5th year option correctly, the Packers will have a window from Jan 10 to May 3rd to pick up Love's 5th year at approximately $20m guaranteed. Is this correct ?

Correct. Which is why I think they'll try to trade him, unless Rodgers retires. 

11 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

-just in general, our run defense was pretty abysmal.  SF busted off a bunch of 5-10 yard runs. Didn’t pay enough attention to place blame, but maybe just crummy back up LBs?

49ers only averaged 3.6 YPC overall. So although 49ers broke off a few, I thought Packers D won most of the battles. And the Packers did it without Clark, Reed, Lowry or Wyatt playing at all. 

23 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If I understand the 5th year option correctly, the Packers will have a window from Jan 10 to May 3rd to pick up Love's 5th year at approximately $20m guaranteed. Is this correct ?

They can still negotiate a longer term deal if both parties agree.  I dont think the Packers are giving Love 20 mill for that 5th year.

Barring a major injury I think the chances of Rodgers retiring before his deal is up is extremely slim.  $50 mil per year looks enticing to anyone who even really wants to retire.  He isn't turning that down regardless of what he says. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

On that 2nd interception, Yes, of course you would have liked to see Doubs catch it but that wasn’t like a routine catch. He had to jump up and go get it then was falling down and the defender made a hell of a play to strip it away while Doubs was falling to the ground. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to a guy for making a play like that. 

No doubt, was a tough contested catch. 

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

They can still negotiate a longer term deal if both parties agree.  I dont think the Packers are giving Love 20 mill for that 5th year.

Barring a major injury I think the chances of Rodgers retiring before his deal is up is extremely slim.  $50 mil per year looks enticing to anyone who even really wants to retire.  He isn't turning that down regardless of what he says. 

I don't see him around any longer than 2 years. He's not giving up anything close to 50 million a year. He's already got 22.7 million a year paid up front in bonus money. His sticking around or retiring will have nothing to do with the cash. It will be decided on if he wants to keep playing. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 hours ago, Smidgeon said:

I didn't see it. How did the lower round rookies do? Ford & Toure? Both probably destined for the PS, but intrigued by them. 

The only time I noticed Ford, he was getting pushed around.  For a guy that heavy, that must mean that he is playing high.  He is huge though.  Slaton, Slayton, and Heflin looked pretty good on the DL. After last night, I am trying to figure out how to keep Chris Slayton on this roster.

Toure looked fine.  I think the stock up WRs were Doubs, Davis, and Rodgers. Toure and Winfree were probably neutral.  

I'm pretty sure the Packers have the framework of a "if you're the starter you're paid like a starter, if you're the backup you're paid like a quality backup" deal that Love is free to take.  It's possible that if he does hit the open market after his 4 year tenure is up, he won't get offered something richer than that and he'll be back here.

5 hours ago, StatKing said:

At what point does it stop being everyone elses fault? I hated the Love pick, I dont hate Love. I genuinely want him to be good, I just don't see it.

I dont know how anyone can watch that game last night and think he's anywhere close to where he should be.

It becomes his fault when it’s his fault. The read on the pass to Amari Rodgers was a terrible decision but even MLF said 2 WR’s ran the wrong route on that play. He should have ate the ball if that’s the case and run. Having a pass that may have hit the WR in the face, go through his hands is not Loves fault and wouldn’t be any QB’s fault. Having a completed pass get taken away by a DB is not the QB’s fault  

Does he have mechanical issuer, sure but we knew that would take time. He also has a different OC every year in college which set him back. Is he ready for prime time yet, no but he does have the tools. Was AR a bad pick when we took him? At some point you need to plan for the future and the pick for Love was that, the future and we knew he would take time, maybe as much time as AR took. 

Now, you may be right but time will tell and if he’s crap in 2 years I will say it’s time to move on but the talent is worth the risk IMO. If the talent learns the game like it did with Favre and AR we will have a quality QB once AR retires. Probably not a HOF but he could be damn good yet.