Who's Packers End Will Come First - Love or Rodgers?

Mr Anonymous

Who's Packers End Will Come First - Love or Rodgers?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB will cease being a Green Bay Packer first?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Jordan Love

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this at this point. Most know where I stand. I'm even more convinced that Rodgers is going to play beyond Love's tenure in Green Bay. Not only due to the still glacial separation between the two as QBs, but because Rodgers sees this defense and the future will his young WRs and knows there are some great years on the horizon.

Just now, Old Guy said:

If we win the Super Bowl, Rodgers could walk away. I think he's playing two years regardless and think we'll move Love in the off season. 

A SB win this year could definitely prompt Rodgers to ride off into the sunset. But I have a growing suspicion it would just make him want to try and rack up another one for good measure.

If Love does become a free agent, I'm not sure what team is out there that's going to offer him a richer deal than Green Bay would.  Teams are always desperate for quarterbacks, but it seems like "we're going to hitch our wagon to Tyrod Taylor, or Geno Smith, or Marcus Mariota" is going to be an easier sell to an owner than "we're going to take a chance on what Jordan Love could be."   There could be a Packers offensive guy who takes a promotion elsewhere who puts in a good word for Love, but like Hackett went to Denver and they're not going to be looking for a QB for a few more years.

I fully expect GB to decline Love's 5th year option, I'd be shocked if they didn't.  That being said, I do expect GB to sign Love to a 2nd contract.  I just can't imagine there are teams out there ready to pay Love anything significant.  If that's the case, I'd think Love staying in GB is probably the best move for everyone involved.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If Love does become a free agent, I'm not sure what team is out there that's going to offer him a richer deal than Green Bay would.  Teams are always desperate for quarterbacks, but it seems like "we're going to hitch our wagon to Tyrod Taylor, or Geno Smith, or Marcus Mariota" is going to be an easier sell to an owner than "we're going to take a chance on what Jordan Love could be."   There could be a Packers offensive guy who takes a promotion elsewhere who puts in a good word for Love, but like Hackett went to Denver and they're not going to be looking for a QB for a few more years.

Oh boy, I'd always go for the unknown with potentially much more upside compared to known which is mediocre at best. 

Love needs game action but there were signs last night that the game slowed down. He was going through his progressions and by and large made the right read most of the time. His mechanics were bad on a couple of those misses to the RBs in the flat. He definitely needs to improve his accuracy on those throws. Gaining more confidence will improve that as well more consistent with his mechanics. 

He's not a lost cause by any means. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I fully expect GB to decline Love's 5th year option, I'd be shocked if they didn't.  That being said, I do expect GB to sign Love to a 2nd contract.  I just can't imagine there are teams out there ready to pay Love anything significant.  If that's the case, I'd think Love staying in GB is probably the best move for everyone involved.

This is why I voted for Love lasting longer than Rodgers. Love may reach free agency but if he's met with mid-tier backup QB offers, or even high-end backup dollars, he's more valuable to GB than any other team. 

Unless he turns on the jets between now and his contract's expiration 

Edited by Sandy

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

What does a second contract for Love look like?  You don't want to pay him much while Rodgers is still on the books, but if he is the starter, he will want to be paid like one.  

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What does a second contract for Love look like?  You don't want to pay him much while Rodgers is still on the books, but if he is the starter, he will want to be paid like one.  

I assume it would need to be structured with significant escalators kicking in if Love moves into the QB1 role.  I don't claim to be aware of the options available for writing a contract to account for that, but I expect the contract would have something to address it.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I assume it would need to be structured with significant escalators kicking in if Love moves into the QB1 role.  I don't claim to be aware of the options available for writing a contract to account for that, but I expect the contract would have something to address it.

Not a bad idea.  I always wonder where the headspace is for some of these guys though.  He could very well say, I have sat here for 4 years already, I'm out.  

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Not a bad idea.  I always wonder where the headspace is for some of these guys though.  He could very well say, I have sat here for 4 years already, I'm out.  

I think Love would say exactly that if one of his 4 years wasn't busted due to Covid, and (at least) the next two weren't sitting behind the league MVP.  The reality is that his options will be limited, and nobody will be signing him to a QB1 contract right off the bat.  GB seems to be as likely a spot as any for Love to eventually move into a QB1 role, and I don't see many places where is path seems any faster, let alone as clear-cut.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Love led the country in interceptions his last season at Utah St.  

He currently leads the NFL in interceptions with 3.  Not all his fault, but just saying.  Can he get better, yes, but how much better will he get????

I had no idea he did that. That's funny. Also Trey Lance went 28:0 that year, how I didn't know that/forgot.... Drink too much

• Like 2