Bills bench Tyrod Taylor for rookie qb Nathan Peterman

LinderFournette

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think this move makes more sense if you're not in a playoff chase, so I'm a little bit surprised. 

I remember hearing  an interview a while back, wish I could have remembered on what platform, but the guy talking was an analytics guy,  and said that if there was a stat for  "completions missed by not throwing", Tyrod would win the league. Indicated that Tyrod either just completely missed open receivers as he was looking downfield, or that he refused to throw it. Said that the bills had to simplify the offense around him to only focus on half the field, etc. I have no idea how accurate it all was...always thought he was doing an adequate job. Figured high end  back up or stop gap fringe starter. Definitely think it's more interesting now in the wake of this decision. 

This is the exact thing we have been saying as Bills fans.

He just doesn't have the reads, and he doesn't make anything resembling big plays.

He can avoid sacks and hit checkdowns to McCoy and Clay.

His "good" stats are fools gold. Time to see if another QB has a chance.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Going hard after Cousins after trading a high 2nd rounder for Jimmy G? I find that extremely hard to believe. BEFORE with the Shanahan connection, sure, but after, no way.

Sorry, my brain is jumbled. This was all before Jimmy G.

The point is, they have been looking for a QB option outside of the draft, which makes them a potential trade partner.

42 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

This is the exact thing we have been saying as Bills fans.

He just doesn't have the reads, and he doesn't make anything resembling big plays.

He can avoid sacks and hit checkdowns to McCoy and Clay.

His "good" stats are fools gold. Time to see if another QB has a chance.

Ahhh, it's all very sad, though. As a loyal fan of the Buffalo Bills, I well remember the glory days of 2015, when we all thought that Tyrod Taylor was going to be the Savior of the franchise- the 20 TD's vs. only 6 interceptions. The hope.... the excitement! Perhaps it could still work out, though. Much as I love Nathan Peterman, I still believe that Tyrod Taylor, while not exactly Aaron Rodgers, can be an effective NFL quarterback.

We love you, Tyrod!!!

Image result for tyrod taylor

1 minute ago, bzane said:

Ahhh, it's all very sad, though. As a loyal fan of the Buffalo Bills, I well remember the glory days of 2015, when we all thought that Tyrod Taylor was going to be the Savior of the franchise- the 20 TD's vs. only 6 interceptions. The hope.... the excitement! Perhaps it could still work out, though. Much as I love Nathan Peterman, I still believe that Tyrod Taylor, while not exactly Aaron Rodgers, can be an effective NFL quarterback.

We love you, Tyrod!!!

Image result for tyrod taylor

I've said it several times but he's a poor Alex Smith. Put a great supporting cast around him and he can probably get you to somewhere between 9 and 10 wins. 

Buffalo lead the league in scoring last year until week 17, and Tyrod was very effective in an offense built around him and his strengths - as any QB is. Quite frankly, this is a horrible decision, and reeks of a team scapegoating a QB that the new regime didn't believe in. This is why bad franchises stay bad. 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

I've said it several times but he's a poor Alex Smith. Put a great supporting cast around him and he can probably get you to somewhere between 9 and 10 wins. 

So what about this year, where he doesn't have a great supporting cast, he doesn't have an offense built around his strengths, and you're still at 5 wins - on pace for 9 or 10 wins?

Just now, Darth Pees said:

So what about this year, where he doesn't have a great supporting cast, he doesn't have an offense built around his strengths, and you're still at 5 wins - on pace for 9 or 10 wins?

We're definitely not on pace for 9 or 10 wins. We're in free fall mode with two games against the Patriots and one against the Chiefs. We have demonstrated plenty of times that while we might have winnable games they certainly are not guaranteed wins. We won five games with the defense generating an insane amount of turnovers and our offense doing just enough to turn those into points to win close games that really should have never been that close. He is 31st in yards per game and 26th in yards per attempt, look further than the TD ratio and completion percentage and it's pretty apparent he's nowhere near a top 15 QB. 

3 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

We're definitely not on pace for 9 or 10 wins. We're in free fall mode with two games against the Patriots and one against the Chiefs. We have demonstrated plenty of times that while we might have winnable games they certainly are not guaranteed wins. We won five games with the defense generating an insane amount of turnovers and our offense doing just enough to turn those into points to win close games that really should have never been that close. He is 31st in yards per game and 26th in yards per attempt, look further than the TD ratio and completion percentage and it's pretty apparent he's nowhere near a top 15 QB. 

The Bills have never been a throw-first team while Tyrod is there, yet somehow you guys managed to lead the league in scoring last year using the best ground game in the NFL. This year, with the same personnel sans the WR's, everything is bad and suddenly it's just Tyrod? Excuse me for not buying that for one second. No system is perfect, and maybe Tyrod isn't a top 15 QB, but he's shown that he can and does produce effectively when the offensive system is tailored to his strengths.

I just think it's a horrible decision that Buffalo changed their system so they chould scapegoat their QB not playing well to start a rookie while in the middle of a playoff chase - effectively ending any hopes at making the playoffs. Just utter insanity.

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

The Bills have never been a throw-first team while Tyrod is there, yet somehow you guys managed to lead the league in scoring last year using the best ground game in the NFL. This year, with the same personnel sans the WR's, everything is bad and suddenly it's just Tyrod? Excuse me for not buying that for one second. No system is perfect, and maybe Tyrod isn't a top 15 QB, but he's shown that he can and does produce effectively when the offensive system is tailored to his strengths.

I just think it's a horrible decision that Buffalo changed their system so they chould scapegoat their QB not playing well to start a rookie while in the middle of a playoff chase - effectively ending any hopes at making the playoffs. Just utter insanity.

It's not all Tyrod's fault. The offensive line hasn't been good enough and McCoy has struggled. Our offensive coordinator last season became a HC and we brought in someone else, I don't know if you can really blame him for running a system that isn't his. Our offense was great last season because of the ground game, Tyrod was a part of that but it was really built on power running with McCoy and Gillislee. 

Tyrod throughout his entire time in Buffalo has shown that you cannot win football games with him when he is forced to throw the football which, as a quarterback, you need to be able to do. Tyrod holds the ball for too long, misses open targets and refuses to throw to players who aren't wide open. He struggles to attack the zone and to go through his progressions and is far too conservative with checkdowns. It might be a questionable short term decision but it's a very obvious long term decision to anyone who has watched Bills games this season and most of last season. 

I think the big difference here is Tyrod would never make the throws that Peterman does. That first throw to O'Leary Tyrod would never make. And the throw at 49 seconds into this video he would never make. Taylor only throws to wide open players... In fact I think he has the highest average of separation between receiver and defender on pass attempts this year because he doesn't throw into tight coverage. 

https://youtu.be/aKduBp70kJg

Those those that Peterman made in that video, Taylor never would have attempted

Legit question here.

What does Tyrod do well besides not turn the ball over?

He doesn’t throw the ball well deep (regressed a lot since his first year as a starter in this aspect), doesn’t throw the ball accurately on mid range routes, holds the ball too long, doesn’t get past his first read.

wtf has he done to earn any praise? Lead a team to a .500 record? Congratulations.

Archived