Our #2QB - A Question and Possible Solution

Just Want A Title

After watching the first pre-season game, I think the Lions have a legitimate problem at their #2QB position.  Neither Tim Boyle or David Blough have shown that they could step in and be a serviceable starting QB if Jared Goff goes down.  These guys aren't rookies and probably won't morph into anything more than what they are now.  Should we make a move?   I think we should make a move and should acquire Skylar Thompson from the Dolphins.  He as played really well but has no shot to unseat Tua Tagovaiola as the #1QB or even Teddy Bridgewater as the #2QB.  He has been playing better than either Tim Boyle or Jared Goff and clearly has some untapped potential.  I would rather take a chance on his upside then bring-in a re-tread like Gardener Minshew.  Thoughts?

I suspect the QB2 situation is by design. I think 2022 is all about finding out if Goff is the QB of the future here as after this season it is reasonably cheap to move on from him. With the way our QB2 looks right now there area three possibilities:

1. Goff plays well and we move forward with him as the QB for the foreseeable future,

2. Goff struggles and we're in a good spot to take the QB of the future in the 2023 draft class,

3. Goff get's injured and Blough and Boyle are unable to carry us out of a good draft spot.

A better QB2 means in the event Goff misses a significant amount of time we're more likely to miss out on the better QB prospects in next years draft and still not know what we have in Goff. 

Edit: If we do bring in an upgrade at QB2 I'd love to see Minshew walk onto the practice field on Hard Knocks. Minshew and MCDC seem like a perfect pair.

Edited by Nnivolcm
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I suspect the QB2 situation is by design. I think 2022 is all about finding out if Goff is the QB of the future here as after this season it is reasonably cheap to move on from him. With the way our QB2 looks right now there area three possibilities:

1. Goff plays well and we move forward with him as the QB for the foreseeable future,

2. Goff struggles and we're in a good spot to take the QB of the future in the 2023 draft class,

3. Goff get's injured and Blough and Boyle are unable to carry us out of a good draft spot.

A better QB2 means in the event Goff misses a significant amount of time we're more likely to miss out on the better QB prospects in next years draft and still not know what we have in Goff. 

Edit: If we do bring in an upgrade at QB2 I'd love to see Minshew walk onto the practice field on Hard Knocks. Minshew and MCDC seem like a perfect pair.

100% this.... this has to happen.

22 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

This may seem good from the perspective of football fans but it doesn't seem like Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes would let the entire season go down the toilet without doing something.

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

This may seem good from the perspective of football fans but it doesn't seem like Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes would let the entire season go down the toilet without doing something.

Holmes and Campbell did do a lot. They added a lot of weapons for Goff to give him a fair shot at being productive. I think Holmes and MCDC are looking long term and it's the fans who are more rushed for results. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Tim Boyle is booty

Man, the Lions better get on the phone and drop a fourth or fifth round pick on someone. If it's not Thompson, then I'd take Sam Ehlinger or Mason Rudolph. Someone. Both these guys are bums.

Holmes seems to get good value in those rounds. I'd rather let him use those picks than spend them on someone who hopefully doesn't see the field. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Holmes seems to get good value in those rounds. I'd rather let him use those picks than spend them on someone who hopefully doesn't see the field. 

'Hopefully they don't play' isn't a valid strategy for your team's backup qb. You can lose one mid round pick and still get plenty of good value guys.

48 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

'Hopefully they don't play' isn't a valid strategy for your team's backup qb. You can lose one mid round pick and still get plenty of good value guys.

2022 is the find out if Goff is the QBoTF while building the roster year. Either we move forward with Goff or they need all the draft capital they can get to make sure they have the best chance of drafting their guy in 2023. If Goff goes down in 2022 having a slightly better back up only hurts the team long term. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

2022 is the find out if Goff is the QBoTF while building the roster year. Either we move forward with Goff or they need all the draft capital they can get to make sure they have the best chance of drafting their guy in 2023. If Goff goes down in 2022 having a slightly better back up only hurts the team long term. 

Only a Lions fan could think this way

4 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Tim Boyle is booty

Man, the Lions better get on the phone and drop a fourth or fifth round pick on someone. If it's not Thompson, then I'd take Sam Ehlinger or Mason Rudolph. Someone. Both these guys are bums.

Eh, odds are that if they really want somebody, a passable backup QB is cut.

EDIT: If they did decide to make a trade, Taylor Heinicke seems like the best option. But a 4th or 5th is a lot to give up.

29 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Only a Lions fan could think this way

He's right, though. If Goff goes down, he's done in Detroit, and the Lions should tank for the #1 pick.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

we'll see about someone being cut. I hope so.

but there is no way, if you're Holmes and Campbell et al, that you can go into this season with 3-14 or thereabouts being an acceptable result. I don't care if it gets you the #1 pick. I said this with Patricia, in the NFL you get two years to either make the playoffs or show undeniable progress. If you don't do that, then your regime is toast. The owner can keep you on if they want to, but you lose respect of your team, and around the league. Your momentum to build a championship team goes out the window.

What do you think agents and players and media around the league are going to say if the Lions go 3-14? "Campbell, the guy acts like he's a great coach, and he's 6-28." The Lions cannot go into this season deliberately allowing a hole in their roster that could make them the worst team in the league with one injury. What do you think the guys in the locker room will do or think? They can see those two QBs can't play. If they see the Lions doing this, then if Goff is hurt and all of a sudden they're asked to tank, this whole culture-building thing falls apart.

• Like 1