Our #2QB - A Question and Possible Solution

Just Want A Title

16 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The thing that makes me the most annoyed with this situation is that they had all of last year with these two.  They weren't rookies last year, they were both vets that knew how this worked and we still chose to give them contracts and let them battle for backup QB.  Everyone of us said that re-signing them was stupid back when it happened, but somehow this staff/GM couldn't see it?  This should have been handled in the draft or free agency in the spring.  Now if we bring in a new backup, he has to learn the playbook and playing catch up and getting no reps with the starters.  I am glad if they dump both (Boyle already gone) but still annoyed that they waited.  

Side note, being mad about the backup QB is a better complaint than being mad about them running our best players off the team because of their egos. 

Exactly all of this.

This seems like it should have been completely avoidable. Add in the Trinity Benson trade, and we should have had the extra 5th which we could have picked up a developmental qb in the draft (Sam Howell went in the 5th), AND taken a vet for backup in FA. I would have liked that much more than having Trinity Benson, Tim Boyle, and David Blows. And yes I realize this is speculation we would have received these players, but the opportunity should have been there.

This is why you don't trade assets due to knee jerk reactions and why you effectively work FA. But, I'm glad I'm b******* about this issue this year.

*side note...I was looking up what pick Denver got in that trade and I realized we gave up a 6th in 2023 as well for Benson.  That was such a stupid deal. As good as I believe Holmes has been, he's made a few stupid decisions regarding backups.

Edited by LionArkie

25 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Exactly all of this.

This seems like it should have been completely avoidable. Add in the Trinity Benson trade, and we should have had the extra 5th which we could have picked up a developmental qb in the draft (Sam Howell went in the 5th), AND taken a vet for backup in FA. I would have liked that much more than having Trinity Benson, Tim Boyle, and David Blows. And yes I realize this is speculation we would have received these players, but the opportunity should have been there.

This is why you don't trade assets due to knee jerk reactions and why you effectively work FA. But, I'm glad I'm b******* about this issue this year.

*side note...I was looking up what pick Denver got in that trade and I realized we gave up a 6th in 2023 as well for Benson.  That was such a stupid deal. As good as I believe Holmes has been, he's made a few stupid decisions regarding backups.

The trade was we sent a 2022 5th and 7th and they send us Benson and a 2023 6th.  So we actually get an extra 6th from the deal.  I get why we did it, with our WR core being so trash but the fact is its hard for anyone to come in at this point, learn the playbook and build chemistry with a QB.  I hope they dont do the same thing this year with trading for a backup QB.  Someone will get cut that's worth rostering but even trading for a guy like Jimmy G would be tough for him to come in and be ready and effective in a few weeks if needed.  

47 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Exactly all of this.

Even the best GMs make bad decisions.  Look at what the Ravens did with Breshad Perriman.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The thing that makes me the most annoyed with this situation is that they had all of last year with these two.  They weren't rookies last year, they were both vets that knew how this worked and we still chose to give them contracts and let them battle for backup QB.  Everyone of us said that re-signing them was stupid back when it happened, but somehow this staff/GM couldn't see it?  This should have been handled in the draft or free agency in the spring.  Now if we bring in a new backup, he has to learn the playbook and playing catch up and getting no reps with the starters.  I am glad if they dump both (Boyle already gone) but still annoyed that they waited.  

Side note, being mad about the backup QB is a better complaint than being mad about them running our best players off the team because of their egos. 

All of this. 

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The trade was we sent a 2022 5th and 7th and they send us Benson and a 2023 6th.  So we actually get an extra 6th from the deal.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I read that wrong makes me feel slightly better. I get why they made a trade... I just don't agree doing it with someone who is going to be cut. But that's outside the OP's topic.

Edited by LionArkie

So I guess it's Nate Sudfeld. I don't love it and I feel like he might not be the last backup we see this season, but two points: 1. I'm glad the Lions realized that both of them had to go, just proves yet again they have basic competence, and 2. If you're not going to give up that mid to late round pick, then you'll end up with... Nate Sudfeld

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

So I guess it's Nate Sudfeld. I don't love it and I feel like he might not be the last backup we see this season, but two points: 1. I'm glad the Lions realized that both of them had to go, just proves yet again they have basic competence, and 2. If you're not going to give up that mid to late round pick, then you'll end up with... Nate Sudfeld

I read they were going to trade for him before he was cut. So in a trade... you end up with Nate Sudfeld.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I agree with this.  I get that 7th rounders dont often make the team but it would have been nice to draft Purdy/Someone in the 7th instead of Houston.  Purdy beat out Sudfeld in SF so it would instantly be a better option plus he would have been here throughout camp.  Sudfeld is uninspiring more than anything.  Not impressive when he did have to play, no history of being good, and no upside longer term.  Just seems like an overall dumb move to sign him but again, at least it is something different than Blough/Boyle.  But the re-signing of those two and not doing something sooner is one of the bigger blemishes on this regime especially when we aren't sold on Goff and could potentially have found a mid round gem to replace Goff if he underwhelms this year and at worst upgraded our backup QB.   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with this.  I get that 7th rounders dont often make the team but it would have been nice to draft Purdy/Someone in the 7th instead of Houston.  Purdy beat out Sudfeld in SF so it would instantly be a better option plus he would have been here throughout camp.  Sudfeld is uninspiring more than anything.  Not impressive when he did have to play, no history of being good, and no upside longer term.  Just seems like an overall dumb move to sign him but again, at least it is something different than Blough/Boyle.  But the re-signing of those two and not doing something sooner is one of the bigger blemishes on this regime especially when we aren't sold on Goff and could potentially have found a mid round gem to replace Goff if he underwhelms this year and at worst upgraded our backup QB.   

It almost makes me wonder, to some degree, if the rumors are true and Goff can't look over his shoulder for competition without getting anxiety.  Even so, a quality backup is just that, a backup. I have a feeling Blough is not going to be going far though. Hopefully for the Lions sake, Goff stays healthy.

20 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

It almost makes me wonder, to some degree, if the rumors are true and Goff can't look over his shoulder for competition without getting anxiety.  Even so, a quality backup is just that, a backup. I have a feeling Blough is not going to be going far though. Hopefully for the Lions sake, Goff stays healthy.

I haven't heard those rumors but if a 7th round rookie makes him nervous, he shouldn't be our QB anyways.  And that should have been even more reason to try someone in the mid/late rounds this year to see if we can find a Dak/Russell etc before going into next year needing one at the top of the draft. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I haven't heard those rumors but if a 7th round rookie makes him nervous, he shouldn't be our QB anyways.  And that should have been even more reason to try someone in the mid/late rounds this year to see if we can find a Dak/Russell etc before going into next year needing one at the top of the draft. 

I believe a lot of people from the Rams forum were saying that. Don't actually know if it was reported or fan speak... it's just what I remember hearing. And I agree, if competition scares him, he shouldn't be our qb.

Edited by LionArkie