Who are some players that are great across all systems? Who are some scheme specific players?

Kiwibrown

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Who are some players that are great across all systems?

Tom Brady

Who are some scheme specific players?

Jimmy G

I’d like to see Tom Brady run the Ravens’ or Cardinals’ schemes

If we’re talking ALL systems, Josh Allen has to be the most transferable QB league wide, no? 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Could TJ Watt play in a 4-3…? He’d get beaten up in the run game as a DE. I don’t think he’d be effective as an off ball LB in coverage either.

At first, I thought you were talking about JJ...

I think he (TJ) could play DE.  He is the same size as KGB was, and he made it work.  

Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha were kind of exposed when they were moved from press-man systems to zone systems (I know Bucs fans are about to come in here and tell me Revis wasn't exposed in that Cover 2 system...).

Yannick Ngakoue and certain other 4-3 Edge Rushers are pretty much just straight up "wide 9, hand in the dirt" guys who can't do much else.

Come to think of it, most NFL players who aren't QB's are pretty scheme-dependent players, and that's perfectly okay because most NFL teams will build their scheme and find players who fit in it and maximize their potential within that scheme. I think of box safeties, press corners, slot WR's, pass catching TE's, blocking TE's, goal line RB's, running QB's, etc.

Then you have guys like Tom Brady who has shown he can play in any scheme there is. We've also seen guys like Richard Sherman excel in zone-heavy schemes and man-heavy schemes. We've seen guys like Ed Reed play both safety positions, in the box, center field, etc. 

10 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I’d like to see Tom Brady run the Ravens’ or Cardinals’ schemes

If we’re talking ALL systems, Josh Allen has to be the most transferable QB league wide, no? 

What Brady lacks in athleticism he more than makes up for with his arm, intelligence, and leadership IMO. Guys who are very football savvy (like Brady, Brees, and Peyton) can walk into any system and have success without running a 4.4. Even Rodgers. It's one of the things that make them such a rare breed.