Preseason, Week 2: Vikings (0-1) vs 49ers (1-0)

swede700

Easy to forget but the fact one will be watching Trey Lance is pretty awesome, the guys is a damn dude.  Awesome arm and physical build and has tons of potential, pretty cool for a local Minnesota kid from a small town.  Dude is legit and could be a really solid pro, will be fun to watch him, and in that power run game offense that is creative he could be one hell of a weapon, also shows a lot they are already moving on from Jimmy G, helps show the progression Trey Lance has already made as a QB in only year 2.  Will be fun to watch him this year and how he does.  

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Easy to forget but the fact one will be watching Trey Lance is pretty awesome, the guys is a damn dude.  Awesome arm and physical build and has tons of potential, pretty cool for a local Minnesota kid from a small town.  Dude is legit and could be a really solid pro, will be fun to watch him, and in that power run game offense that is creative he could be one hell of a weapon, also shows a lot they are already moving on from Jimmy G, helps show the progression Trey Lance has already made as a QB in only year 2.  Will be fun to watch him this year and how he does.  

This will be my first exposure to him (if he plays), so understandably I have questions about whether a D-IAA (I'll always call it that) guy who has played very little in 4 years (really only 1 year in college) will be able to be a competent starter early on.  I'm sure as good a coach as Shanahan is will be able to protect him as best as he can, but when it comes down to it, it'll be on Lance to make the right decisions.  Yes, the talent and upside is clearly there, but this isn't like going up against an overrated Arizona team and the Houston Texans of a year ago or the Jackrabbits, Bobcats or Dukes in college.

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

This will be my first exposure to him (if he plays), so understandably I have questions about whether a D-IAA (I'll always call it that) guy who has played very little in 4 years (really only 1 year in college) will be able to be a competent starter early on.  I'm sure as good a coach as Shanahan is will be able to protect him as best as he can, but when it comes down to it, it'll be on Lance to make the right decisions.  Yes, the talent and upside is clearly there, but this isn't like going up against an overrated Arizona team and the Houston Texans of a year ago or the Jackrabbits, Bobcats or Dukes in college.

Physically he is top of the line, super strong arm and extremely well build and put together.  Mentally he has apparently super high character and work ethic, relatable and stable on and off the field.  If he is a failure in the NFL I would be surprised, especially in that system which has a creative play action run game and now a QB who can obviously run well and take hits also.  Could argue he is a better runner than Jalen Hurts coming out of college and Hurts lead the NFL in rushing for a QB last year in terms of TDs and yards.

And Trey has a much better arm than Jalen Hurts, but yes it will be interesting to see how he does as a starter this early in his career.  I am also interested to see how Bryce Lance does on NDSU at WR Trey's brother.  

Sure the jump for NDSU players can be a bit much but it is a great program and if Carson Wentz can have success no reason Trey Lance cannot.  Even Easton Stick has been decent for the Chargers as a backup and Watson I am sure will rip up the Vikings more than once on the Packers in his career with his athletic ability at WR, and Dillon Radunz is supposed to start for the Titans this year on the OL and Derrek Tuszka should provide much needed 3/4 OLB depth for the Steelers this year etc.  So it is not like guys from NDSU cannot play just because they are from a I-AA school, tons of I-AA NFL prospects turn out to be a solid players in the league.  It is not like we are talking D3 here which is a much bigger jump to make I feel but even that has been done a few times.  

FWIW, I'm not a fan of Hurts either.  I think all the talk about the Eagles this year is rather ridiculous.  They may have a decent record, but that's more because of their ridiculously easy schedule than it has to do with them as a team.  I think the Vikings will be able to exploit them in Week 2 for the frauds they are.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

FWIW, I'm not a fan of Hurts either.  I think all the talk about the Eagles this year is rather ridiculous.  They may have a decent record, but that's more because of their ridiculously easy schedule than it has to do with them as a team.  I think the Vikings will be able to exploit them in Week 2 for the frauds they are.  

I agree I do not like Hurts either, the playoff game he played in last year was awful in terms of his passing.  But I do feel that OL for the Eagles is one of the best in the NFL if not the best which it probably is, addition of AJ Brown is going to be huge, that run game is already solid and the D is wildly improved with bringing over Reddick, they have arguably the best DTs in the NFL in terms of depth with Cox, Hargrave, Jordan Davis and Milton Williams.  Also brought over Kyzir White who is solid, drafted Dean who could be a star and brought over Tartt at safety who is solid and Bradberry at CB.  The Eagles will be very good this year even if Hurts is not a great QB passing, his run ability really helps his overall game, granted if Trey Lance was on the Eagles they would be better off long term.  

List of players I'm most excited about, i hope all these guys show improvement and ball out:

The rooks on D - Cine, Booth and asamoah

The back up edges - Wonnum and Jones

Dash & Dash - Nwangwu & Chandler

The dancing bears of the future - Darrisaw, Ingram & Cleveland

• Like 4