Preseason, Week 2: Vikings (0-1) vs 49ers (1-0)

swede700

27 Starters rested I hope that's why we sucked!

Ingram had his hands full with Kinlaw, I can only hope it will get him ready for the regular season.

Vikings need a new QB2. As somebody said earlier maybe Nick Foles would come available. Mond can be stashed on the practice squad nobody is going to poach him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

You are talking about a player that has a good chance of never seeing the field.  A better backup would be nice to have a chance if cousins misses a game or 2 but any longterm injury no matter who they got as a backup likely would kill the season

Last season, every single team used their backup QB in some fashion. The year before, 30 teams used their backup QB.

8 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

This is a weird Homer hill to die on.

Right now, these two are guaranteed loses if they have to start. 100%. They don't have a chance.

We know Kirk is reliable but all it takes is one weird hit and if he does miss a game or two, they shouldn't be guaranteed loses.

Is it much to ask for a backup that may have a shot to win one?

This is such a dumb hill to die on, dude. Wow.

Lol I'm not dying on this hill. I just think it's a weird thing to focus on saying that's what going to kill the season

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Last season, every single team used their backup QB in some fashion. The year before, 30 teams used their backup QB.

Interesting.  I guess I'm being a little dramatic saying that he'll likely never see the field. 

I do think they'll sign someone else once cuts are made to either be the #2 or 3

• Like 1

Mond and Mannion really aren’t backup quality QBs, but they really didn’t get help from their receivers and tight ends in this game. Their performances probably look a lot different if Davidson catches a 3rd down conversion from Mond, or if he catches that seam route from Mannion. And Mond likely avoids that second interception if Mitchell catches the mid range shot inside the ten on that final drive. 

I’ll say this, if San Francisco cuts Purdy or Sudfeld, I’d take either one of them over Mond or Mannion. It’ll be interesting to see what SF ultimately does with Garoppolo, and whether or not they keep 3 quarterbacks. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’ll say this, if San Francisco cuts Purdy or Sudfeld, I’d take either one of them over Mond or Mannion. It’ll be interesting to see what SF ultimately does with Garoppolo, and whether or not they keep 3 quarterbacks. 

So, would your plan be to pick the one cut for BU QB and place Mond on the practice squad?  And cut Mannion outright?

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

He was with the Bears. It doesn't count.

How did Patrick Jones and Jaylen Twyman do?

Patrick Jones was solid on the edge and very comfortable out there again I thought.  Twyman did not do much at all but honestly in a 3/4 is not where he should be, maybe he is still a bit out of shape though, hopefully he can at least make the practice squad but a lot of 3/4 DEs on the Vikings I would take over him at this point but again he is playing out of position and would be far better in a 4/3.  

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Mond and Mannion really aren’t backup quality QBs, but they really didn’t get help from their receivers and tight ends in this game. Their performances probably look a lot different if Davidson catches a 3rd down conversion from Mond, or if he catches that seam route from Mannion. And Mond likely avoids that second interception if Mitchell catches the mid range shot inside the ten on that final drive. 

Not sure I would take Sudfeld but for sure Purdy, he is solid and has tons of experience playing, very underrated guy coming out considering how good he was for a long period of time at Iowa State.  But Mond has some great throws, just overall sure when the run game is not going it makes it a lot harder especially when WRs and TEs drop balls but Mond did have two very bad INTs, but still he at least has promise and potential something Mannion has not had for years now.  

• Like 1

I would say CB is a much bigger issue than QB for the reasons some have said of Kirk being very reliable.  CB, Booth has already got hurt, Peterson could easily get hurt and so could Dantzler.  Then one has Evans and Hand, Evans I have faith in making a full season without getting hurt but who knows, and Sullivan not sure I even care much about him because never was impressed with him on Green Bay.

Patriots have injuries at CB so they will not be cutting any good guys, Broncos maybe but even them I doubt.  Sure a QB will get cut maybe the Vikings take him, but will be much harder to get a solid CB being cut they can pickup...

17 minutes ago, Duluther said:

For sure. CB should already be the heavy favorite for next year’s 1st rounder.

Yes that is what I have them getting in the 1st round, hopefully that is not the case but looking at the roster it probably will be.  

7 hours ago, perrynoid said:

So, would your plan be to pick the one cut for BU QB and place Mond on the practice squad?  And cut Mannion outright?

Absolutely the best way to go is to get a competent backup QB, either guaranteed through trade, or grabbing a decent NFL - proven backup, when cut, cut Mannion outright, and place Mond on the PS, so he still can get work on his game from the coaching staff, to progress towards winning the backup job in 2023.  Mond won't be grabbed by other teams cutting down at the same time, as he is nowhere near ready to play competently.  

• Like 1