Deadpool 2

devils1854

Didn't see the first, younger brothers wanted to go see this one. I think the only other Marvel universe film I've seen was the original Avengers and the first Spiderman triology.

Quite funny, a couple skits fell flat for me, but plenty of jokes / one-liners had me laughing out loud (theater was packed, added to the experience).

I enjoyed the action and wasn't bored while watching. That fiancee was hot lava.

I thought the movie lacked a signficant antagonist and the story fell a little flat.

3/5 pretty good way to spend a couple hours

Good, but not as good as the first. However I think that was to be expected since it was always going to be extremely hard to capture the novelty and unexpectedness of the first. Some of the jokes did fall a little flat, at a seemingly higher rate than the first, but overall it was still a fairly enjoyable film in terms of comedic value. I'm always wary of the introduction of time travel into a film as it can seemingly open up endless possibilities and give way to lazy writing, but I think they did a fairly good job with it here. However, I hope the very end of the film (post credits) was all done in jest and not meant to serve as a manipulation of any real timelines in the context of the Deadpool universe.

8 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Good, but not as good as the first. However I think that was to be expected since it was always going to be extremely hard to capture the novelty and unexpectedness of the first. Some of the jokes did fall a little flat, at a seemingly higher rate than the first, but overall it was still a fairly enjoyable film in terms of comedic value. I'm always wary of the introduction of time travel into a film as it can seemingly open up endless possibilities and give way to lazy writing, but I think they did a fairly good job with it here. However, I hope the very end of the film (post credits) was all done in jest and not meant to serve as a manipulation of any real timelines in the context of the Deadpool universe.

It did exactly this, and several times in the film Deadpool acknowledges that, which was great IMO.

18 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Just got out of seeing it. Quite enjoyed it. Was a bit weird tonally in spots, with them trying to get Deadpool some actual plot and character development. It turned out okay, but the stretches of seriousness felt a little odd at times, for me. And I wasn't a big fan of the kid. Otherwise really liked it. Domino was spectacular. I loved the parachuting scene all over. Brolin was amazing again. Some fantastic cameos and call backs to the original and to other movies.

I'm not sure whether I'd say it was better or worse than the first. It's a tough comparison to make objectively, because I do think it suffers from no longer being new. Deadpool felt completely unique, Deadpool 2 is still that, but the original already did it, so the impact of that is somewhat gone. Had the same feeling with GOTG 2. Same with the second Kingsmen. So I feel like Deadpool 1 seems better to me, but I think that's just timing.

This is pretty similar to my thoughts as well. The only thing for me is that the first one had some plot and character development too, but I totally bought in. This tried to have the same connection between Deadpool and the kid, but it just didn't quite land for me. 

On 5/21/2018 at 2:53 PM, RavensTillIDie said:

That actually makes some sense. I saw that as proof that the entire movie was spoofing Superhero movies (from start to finish) on how they can be poorly written yet can get away with it via some “dramatic” (and even worse) Deus Ex Machina plot device and few call them out on it.

I’m on the opposite side of the fence though, if only the last part was done in jest, then I’d lower it below the first movie. I kind of like the idea that this movie is making a statement. As a stand-alone film it definitely isn’t as good as the first, but if the entire film was done to troll other movie franchises, while still being its own franchise, it would make it like a giant inside joke.

Edit: And that delicate of a troll job puts it above the first in my eyes. Its like a filler episode in anime breaking the 4th wall to tell you it’s filler, while making fun of every filler episode of the most popular animes, while acting like its being a serious main episode. That’s brilliant. It’s like in the song “1985” when J-Cole dissed Lil Pump and these other new rappers, while acting like he was giving them life advice, while still dissing them at the same time. Which made it above a simple diss track and elevated it to special. (If that makes sense where I was going with that analogy).

Posted Monday at 01:16 AM

Just got out of seeing it. Quite enjoyed it. Was a bit weird tonally in spots, with them trying to get Deadpool some actual plot and character development. It turned out okay, but the stretches of seriousness felt a little odd at times, for me. And I wasn't a big fan of the kid. Otherwise really liked it. Domino was spectacular. I loved the parachuting scene all over. Brolin was amazing again. Some fantastic cameos and call backs to the original and to other movies.

I'm not sure whether I'd say it was better or worse than the first. It's a tough comparison to make objectively, because I do think it suffers from no longer being new. Deadpool felt completely unique, Deadpool 2 is still that, but the original already did it, so the impact of that is somewhat gone. Had the same feeling with GOTG 2. Same with the second Kingsmen. So I feel like Deadpool 1 seems better to me, but I think that's just timing.

I have never agreed with a Chiefs fan more than at this moment. This is like verbatim what I was going to write regarding this flick.

Tried too hard in the first act at times, but gained steam in the second and really loved the third. The kid was annoying at times, but not sure it was the actor or the writing. You cant really push the dialogue in as vulgar a direction when it comes from the kids mouth (I would, but you cant in Hollywood blockbusters), which probably played a part in his role coming off a bit 'meh' compared to everyone else. Actually, the kid playing Fire Fist was great in Hunt for the Wilderpeople, so I will blame the writing. On another note, that kid needs to make his money as the lovable chunky tween ASAP because he needs to lose it sooner than later if he wants to live a decent life.

Solid movie, but not close to the first.  My favorite part was actually that the end credits completely retcon the entire movie.   Cable and Domino worked real well, Ronnie and Vanessa did not.  And the stretching scenes out bit they did 2-3 times completely fell flat.  In movie, what happens to X-Force was probably my favorite part.  I spotted the Pitt cameo, but completely my missed Damon.  Juggernaut was a nice addition and I liked him bitching about no X-Men and the group sliding the door shut quietly.  Very up and down, but end of the day it was fun and will have likely be a good rewatch, just not as good as the first.

On 5/23/2018 at 3:48 PM, THE DUKE said:

Solid movie, but not close to the first.  My favorite part was actually that the end credits completely retcon the entire movie.   Cable and Domino worked real well, Ronnie and Vanessa did not.  And the stretching scenes out bit they did 2-3 times completely fell flat.  In movie, what happens to X-Force was probably my favorite part.  I spotted the Pitt cameo, but completely my missed Damon.  Juggernaut was a nice addition and I liked him bitching about no X-Men and the group sliding the door shut quietly.  Very up and down, but end of the day it was fun and will have likely be a good rewatch, just not as good as the first.

How dare you say Morena Baccarin didn't work! I don't care how bad plot or writing is that woman is beautiful enough to make any scene worth watching?

On 5/23/2018 at 3:48 PM, THE DUKE said:

I thought it was better than the first tbh but to each his own.

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Finally saw it yesterday. It's got me feeling a certain way. But I'm struggling to figure out what it is.

I liked it.

It wasn't as good as the first...and I kinda hated the kid and wanted to see him die. That said, still not bad. 

Domino was awesome.  Best part of the movie.

Cable was really cool but hopefully a spin-off solo film will really let him shine.  Hopefully with better dialogue too.   

The continued love story/attempt to be a normal family and live a normal life plot was ludicrously bad.  I don’t care how fine she is;   she had no business being in this and the way she died was so sloppily done.

Firefist’s plot was basically jacked from the Looper storyline.  Some parts worked, others didn’t.  But it did lead to some cool sequences esp the prison breakout.

Colossus vs Juggernaut was a dream come true.  The X-Men cameo was hilarious too.

For every LoL lines of dialogue, there were several cringeworthy ones.  They tried to pack too much in. And while breaking the 4th wall to complain about lazy writing is funny the first time, the following times just draw more attention to the fact that it is in fact, lazy writing. 

Basically, this sequel tried too hard to do too much and be too many things whereas the streamlined focus of its predecessor showed what made it special.  Credits scenes really helped you leave the theatre on a high note.  

Archived