Preseason Week 2 @ Rams GDT

lumberjackchris

10 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Well the Mills hype will be dead after this one. 

It didn't exist for some of us, tbh.

This being said, this is one game. No need to rake Mills over the coals, he had some moments.

My main takeaway is that it's going to be good to have a HC who knows how to make in-game decisions. Lovie Smith made solid decision all game long - that's been an issue since Dom Capers was here; Kubiak made bad decisions and BoB literally made the wrong decision every time he had a decision to make. (I think we can agree David Culley himself was a wrong decision, and that showed everywhere).

Lovie understanding down, distance and game scenarios is going to save this team from a few embarrassing moments.

11 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

The broadcast just said Lovie dont expect to play Dameon Pierce alot tonight.  Why?

I think they've seen what they need to see and they need to load balance him. Rookies will wear down and hit the rookie wall, and Pierce (who never had more than 175 carries in college) might hit that wall sooner than say Breece Hall or Kenneth Walker III.

This game holds no value to anyone, so don't burn a guy right now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

It didn't exist for some of us, tbh.

This being said, this is one game. No need to rake Mills over the coals, he had some moments.

My main takeaway is that it's going to be good to have a HC who knows how to make in-game decisions. Lovie Smith made solid decision all game long - that's been an issue since Dom Capers was here; Kubiak made bad decisions and BoB literally made the wrong decision every time he had a decision to make. (I think we can agree David Culley himself was a wrong decision, and that showed everywhere).

Lovie understanding down, distance and game scenarios is going to save this team from a few embarrassing moments.

To be fair to Mills and the offense, the combo of Scharping, Morrisey, and Quessenberry we’re all god awful last night.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

To be fair to Mills and the offense, the combo of Scharping, Morrisey, and Quessenberry we’re all god awful last night.

Scharping has to be on his way out - goodness, that guy showed SO much promise as a rookie. Hard to believe it went so wrong so quickly for him.

He'll get another shot elsewhere but the damage is done.

• Like 1

I could see Mills getting benched and Kyle Allen looking considerably better. Allen is also a young player with some untapped potential. I thought Allen looked pretty good Friday night.

Demone Harris seems like he's going to make it in the league. 

Scharping is unplayable. Blacklock's looking pretty bad to me. 

I would really like to see us replace Burkhead with a RB on another team released when teams cut down to 53. Ahmed from MIA is apparently on the bubble as is D'Ernest Johnson in CLE. It's feeling like Pierce will be the Texans lead back, not super confident in Marlon Mack to spell him, although Mack seems decidedly better than anyone we had last year (aside from maybe Burkhead who seems washed to me). 

Also, Grayland Arnold seems like he'll make the team as a kick coverage guy. Also Chester Rogers seems like the best returner we've got. I was angry about him reversing field and fumbling but it seemed  like he was just trying to make a play, prove a point that he's a playmaker. That can be coached out of him I'm sure. 

The defense seems like it's going to be legitimately decent. It feels like we're actually loaded with edge players who can get home, between Greenard, Hughes, Addison, Obo, and even Derek Rivers. I feel like the starting LBs will be better at the end of the season than they will be at the start (after Kirksey hopefully gets benched, and KG slides in there or maybe Harris or Cashman, and I expect Wallow to emerge as an above average starter at some point). Secondary is the best it's been in some time imo.

On offense, it feels like it's Dameon Pierce is a stud, or bust. Slowly coming to terms with the fact that Mills does not have Aaron Rodgers upside.. if this offense is going to work with the QBs we have, we will need a functional rushing attack. 

Still feeling somewhat optimistic. I feel like Pierce could launch this team into a tier that nobody is expecting us to be in, but in the back of my head, and in my gut, I'm scared.