Roster cuts

raidr4life

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You guys are being to hard on him. Ok he sucks right now but he has things going for him. He's only 23 years old and he's just a huge and fast guy. It's all technique with him and if what I read is true he keeps his hands to low.  That's all, no footwork problems that can be fixed.

Two oline coaches haven't fixed it yet. He also has a mental issue. He gives up on all his technique when he gets frustrated. We are not being hard on him. He was a developmental guard who was drafted way to high. His footwork isnt very good either. But he is also very bad right now. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You guys are being to hard on him. Ok he sucks right now but he has things going for him. He's only 23 years old and he's just a huge and fast guy. It's all technique with him and if what I read is true he keeps his hands to low.  That's all, no footwork problems that can be fixed.

He was coached at Alabama and had the same issues. So can it be fixed? He's on Oline coach #3 now, had a full offseason with an acclaimed Oline guru and seems to have regressed. 

Question is, do the Raiders stay patient to see if it finally clicks for him. Unless they can trade him, they may have to. Cap hits for releasing him may be too much. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He was coached at Alabama and had the same issues. So can it be fixed? He's on Oline coach #3 now, had a full offseason with an acclaimed Oline guru and seems to have regressed. 

Question is, do the Raiders stay patient to see if it finally clicks for him. Unless they can trade him, they may have to. Cap hits for releasing him may be too much. 

100%

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Yep, I’m probably being harsh. That is a fair assessment. I know he’s very young and there’s time for him to improve but he doesn’t look like he’s improved to me. Maybe I’m going to be very wrong and I hope so, but I just have a bad feeling regarding Leatherwood. It doesn’t help him that he was way over drafted yet again as expectations are higher naturally. 

He might have tested well athletically but he’s slow reacting, clumsy and his hand work is awful. Watching him run block which is supposed to be his strength he looks lost out there a lot, not sure who to block. I’ve seen him get to the second level well but then just stand there looking round as defenders slide part him. Maybe he can run fast in a straight line in shorts but he’s not quick where it counts on the field from what I’ve seen. 

It’s still really early for him but I just don’t have the confidence in him and I’d trade him for whatever we could get and trust our new coaches to draft better next year after bringing in a stop gap FA.

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, I’m probably being harsh. That is a fair assessment. I know he’s very young and there’s time for him to improve but he doesn’t look like he’s improved to me. Maybe I’m going to be very wrong and I hope so, but I just have a bad feeling regarding Leatherwood. It doesn’t help him that he was way over drafted yet again as expectations are higher naturally. 

He might have tested well athletically but he’s slow reacting, clumsy and his hand work is awful. Watching him run block which is supposed to be his strength he looks lost out there a lot, not sure who to block. I’ve seen him get to the second level well but then just stand there looking round as defenders slide part him. Maybe he can run fast in a straight line in shorts but he’s not quick where it counts on the field from what I’ve seen. 

It’s still really early for him but I just don’t have the confidence in him and I’d trade him for whatever we could get and trust our new coaches to draft better next year after bringing in a stop gap FA.

The same exact thing is happening to Evan Neal

right now and he was 7th overall.

If its one player its his fault but 2 now its on the coachs at Alabama.

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

What I have noticed is his footwork and hand usage look like what yo would do on the left side and not the right.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

What I have noticed is his footwork and hand usage look like what yo would do on the left side and not the right.  

He wasn’t very good at lt in college wasn’t very good at rg he’s just not a very good player. He has all the physical attributes but at this level you need more than that. He never struck me as a “student of the game” type who’s going to work on his craft. And he looks just like he did last year no

improvement.

I’m not a contract guy but I assume cutting him wouldn’t be best for us financially and we need oline depth. I can see him checking out mentally if he’s not starting. this will be a defining moment for the new fo.

14 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The same exact thing is happening to Evan Neal

right now and he was 7th overall.

If its one player its his fault but 2 now its on the coachs at Alabama.

Some people disagree with me on this, but I firmly maintain that where one goes to college matters. 

I don't think Alabama has some list of amazing coaches, particularly at the positional level. 

They recruit the biggest, strongest, and fastest, the most talented kids regardless of how raw they are, and they simply win by fielding a semi-pro team against lesser competition in nearly every possible category. In turn, I don't think guys often get better while there, I think they subconsciously get lazy by virtue of winning all the time. 

Alabama's list of players over the last, say, decade that underwhelmed by simply not being anywhere near as good as advertised and usually having issues with things like playbooks and technique really jumps out to me. 

For every Derrick Henry, there's a couple Eddie Laceys and Trent Richardsons. 

Amari Cooper was frustrating. Jerry Jeudy has been decidedly meh. 

Chance Warmack and DJ Fluker, anyone?  Dee Milliner? Haha Clinton Dix? The Kouandijos? Tua? 

When dealing with Alabama players, I think people place unrealistic expectations on then in terms of how talented they actually are, draft them much higher than warranted because of where they played, and give way too much leeway based on their performance on a team that was loaded at every position with the cream of the crop in relation to their opponents. 

Some work out. Some work out fantastically. And not every player from a school is going to succeed in the NFL, obviously. But that doesn't negate that we've seen a lot of Alabama's guys get taken as reaches, and let's be honest, it's because they played at Alabama.

If Alex Leatherwood played at Alabama A&M and sucked as bad as he has, virtually nobody is pounding the table for more time. College isn't the pros, and the mere fact he played at Alabama shouldn't come with some idea that he's got to be be good since he played there. 

Some guys go through Alabama and look like studs and have the performances to back it up. Mr. Leatherwood didn't. He shouldn't have sniffed the first round. He did because he played at Alabama, which shouldn't matter. 

So I blame Alabama's coaches AND our FO at the time for putting that much stock in the fact he went to Alabama. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

He wasn’t very good at lt in college wasn’t very good at rg he’s just not a very good player. He has all the physical attributes but at this level you need more than that. He never struck me as a “student of the game” type who’s going to work on his craft. And he looks just like he did last year no

improvement.

I’m not a contract guy but I assume cutting him wouldn’t be best for us financially and we need oline depth. I can see him checking out mentally if he’s not starting. this will be a defining moment for the new fo.

I'm for keeping Leatherwood but he looks worse then last year.

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

improvement.

He still looks like Parker though with the mind body disconnect.  The angles he takes look like he is fighting left sided movements.  The angles just seem off and unnatural.  The play we are talking about if you take it frame by frame his footwork is what set him up for the inside rush, lack of experience between him and the guard led to the stunt working easily, and when he started to hold his ground a little he had to push against the DE and the RG.  Now he got beat so no excuses here but it looked horrible because he got pushed by 2 men and tripped over his QB.