SEA RB Kenneth Walker III has inguinal hernia surgery, Carroll says return for Week 1

Broncofan

3 points:

1. If the above is true, and it's an inguinal hernia, most likely it was repaired with a smaller incision and a scope.

2. It means this was unavoidable, had nothing to do with him playing on the field.

3. The Week 1 timeframe is incredibly optimistic.  Generally restarting strenuous activity isn't recommended until the 3rd-4th week. 

He probably won't go on PUP, because worst case he misses 2-3 weeks of the regular season barring a complication - but week 1 seems Carroll-esque in its optimism.

I “earned” one of those types of hernias while pushing like…aircraft pallet #11,463 for the USAF. 

Super Athlete or not, that’s an abdominal lining tear around the immediate area of “the boys”, that his intestines are trying to push through, and it takes a good 4-6 weeks for the scar tissue to finally form over the mesh repair. It’s painful when it keeps tearing that scar tissue when you push yourself too fast.  You learn quickly exactly how much of your core is relied on for any type of movement.   He’ll be sliding out of bed for the first few days.  

Week 1 is optimistic as heck.  Can you physically go full tilt just a few weeks after that repair without re-injuring it? 100%. The mesh isn’t going anywhere.  You could run a marathon the next day in theory. Will you be in folded over in 100/10 pain due to the location of the pain? 100% Guaranteed!

But football players can put up with pain, so who knows..

Edited by ///mcompact

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

3 points:

1. If the above is true, and it's an inguinal hernia, most likely it was repaired with a smaller incision and a scope.

2. It means this was unavoidable, had nothing to do with him playing on the field.

3. The Week 1 timeframe is incredibly optimistic.  Generally restarting strenuous activity isn't recommended until the 3rd-4th week. 

He probably won't go on PUP, because worst case he misses 2-3 weeks of the regular season barring a complication - but week 1 seems Carroll-esque in its optimism.

Yup. I couldn't even walk more than 10 feet at a time until week 2. I started stretching again at week 4, and running again at week 6. Obviously this is a professional athlete who will have more eyes on him and resources than I did when I had mine done in high school, but that is still a super optimistic timeframe.

• Like 1