Raiders sign DE Jordan Jenkins

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

I’ll be very surprised if anyone trades for Ferrell, given how little he has shown so far and the cost. 

The cost is not that high.  He would be the 65th highest edge player.  Pretty close to what Arden Key is going to get.  Coaches always looks at guys in his situation and believe they can turn him around.  I would do it for peanuts because of the cap relief we would get.

23 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The cost is not that high.  He would be the 65th highest edge player.  Pretty close to what Arden Key is going to get.  Coaches always looks at guys in his situation and believe they can turn him around.  I would do it for peanuts because of the cap relief we would get.

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a trade partner be taking on only part of the cost? 

And, as you said, a DC would likely say they think they can do something with him. Let's be honest, he's not been worth it here, but we've seen trades for guys who did far less than he's done based solely on their previous draft status. 

32 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I’d saying giving up a draft pick and paying $4.7m for Ferrell is very high given what he has shown so far. Key had 6.5 sacks last year and is only getting $4m and was an FA. 

If anyone is silly enough to trade for him course we should snap their hands off, it’s a given given the cap savings. 

On 8/18/2022 at 2:18 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a trade partner be taking on only part of the cost? 

And, as you said, a DC would likely say they think they can do something with him. Let's be honest, he's not been worth it here, but we've seen trades for guys who did far less than he's done based solely on their previous draft status. 

He has $5.2 million in signing bonus which we already paid and will remain on our cap no matter what we do with him.  He has $4.7 in guaranteed base pay that we are responsible if we keep or cut him but the other team would take on if we traded him.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 2:35 PM, Dessie said:

I’d saying giving up a draft pick and paying $4.7m for Ferrell is very high given what he has shown so far. Key had 6.5 sacks last year and is only getting $4m and was an FA. 

If anyone is silly enough to trade for him course we should snap their hands off, it’s a given given the cap savings. 

Ferrell is not going to have high sack numbers but can provide pressure and is good in run support.  I would say him and Key are very similar in level of play.  Key has 9.5 sacks in 4 years and Ferrell has 8 sacks in 3 years.  If you look at just their time here Ferrell has 8 sacks in 42 games and Key had 3 sacks in 37 games.  That right there could make a coach think he could do something with him.

On 8/18/2022 at 5:57 AM, Darbsk said:

I thought he was more an out and out 3-4 pass rushing LB for the Jets. If I remember correctly he’s not terrible and may be able to add something more than a guy like Ferrel as a stand up rusher 🙂

Him and Koonce should be solid backups/situational guys.

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Ferrell is not going to have high sack numbers but can provide pressure and is good in run support.  I would say him and Key are very similar in level of play.  Key has 9.5 sacks in 4 years and Ferrell has 8 sacks in 3 years.  If you look at just their time here Ferrell has 8 sacks in 42 games and Key had 3 sacks in 37 games.  That right there could make a coach think he could do something with him.

Would you trade for Ferrell and give him $4.7m? 

10 hours ago, Dessie said:

Would you trade for Ferrell and give him $4.7m? 

If I was lacking a base end/5 tech type and did not like what was left in FA for their asking price I would give a 6th or 7th.  After seeing what Key did after getting away from the team pre McDaniels that would give me hope that he is still a good DE.  He was over-drafted at #4 but did not play awful for us and would have still been a late 1st rounder.  If I had to pay him $10 million I would not touch him but at under $5 it is a good deal with the chance of him being a much better player in a different system.  If we had not drafted Crosby Ferrell would be viewed differently and received a lot more playing time.

Edited by drfrey13

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

If I was lacking a base end/5 tech type and did not like what was left in FA for their asking price I would give a 6th or 7th.  After seeing what Key did after getting away from the team pre McDaniels that would give me hope that he is still a good DE.  He was over-drafted at #4 but did not play awful for us and would have still been a late 1st rounder.  If I had to pay him $10 million I would not touch him but at under $5 it is a good deal with the chance of him being a much better player in a different system.  If we had not drafted Crosby Ferrell would be viewed differently and received a lot more playing time.

I think this forum explode if we gave up a 6th/7th and agreed to pay $4.7m for someone that has shown so little so far.