Embracer Group buying spree, includes rights to LotR

Kiltman

Embracer Group has quietly been growing power in the east, acquiring as much or more studios than even Microsoft the last few years.

In a surprising move, aside from a few new small studios, they landed the rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

So all of their studios seemingly have the option to create games in that universe.

Just an interesting flex to see a game publisher get them, and really I wonder if this is a start to a trend. The gaming industry is massive, with consistent revenue streams. We could see more of them make plays like this in the coming years, like Microsoft buying WB-Discovery or Netflix. Or be bought by the giant corps to use the IP they already own, like Disney buying EA. Some of those have already been talked about as possibilities.

The Gollum game looks trash, I’m really only looking for another shadow of Mordor game. I’m cautious about this, as I view disneys purchase of Marvel and Star Wars as a bad thing. I’m utterly fatigued with both franchises that cram all the projects out they can to maximize their profits. It’s a soulless venture and I’m not excited for new LOTR to bastardize JRR Tolkien’s legacy. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

The Gollum game looks trash, I’m really only looking for another shadow of Mordor game. I’m cautious about this, as I view disneys purchase of Marvel and Star Wars as a bad thing. I’m utterly fatigued with both franchises that cram all the projects out they can to maximize their profits. It’s a soulless venture and I’m not excited for new LOTR to bastardize JRR Tolkien’s legacy. 

As was I, but it's dead most likely.

• Like 1

Are these the guys that recently got a handful of the IPs that Square Enix wasn't doing anything with? I'm friends with a couple of huge Legacy of Kane fans who I've noticed are frightened to even hope to get a worthy entry in that series.

On topic though, what is up with Tolkien's estate? Do they have any autonomy whatsoever over how much of this stuff gets made? If they do who in that family has the coke habit that's put LOTR on the receiving end of such a shameless donkey flogging this past decade? They used to be known for being really stingy about these kinds of things.

4 hours ago, KuechTheCat said:

Are these the guys that recently got a handful of the IPs that Square Enix wasn't doing anything with? I'm friends with a couple of huge Legacy of Kane fans who I've noticed are frightened to even hope to get a worthy entry in that series.

Yeah embracer bought Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) and Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex) for pennies, why Square didn’t wait for more bidders is anyones guess.

4 hours ago, KuechTheCat said:

On topic though, what is up with Tolkien's estate? Do they have any autonomy whatsoever over how much of this stuff gets made? If they do who in that family has the coke habit that's put LOTR on the receiving end of such a shameless donkey flogging this past decade? They used to be known for being really stingy about these kinds of things.

I think the family has a certain say but at some point the rights being licensed or bought gives those companies license to do as they want. Think there is certain things they can’t do with it though.