Can you tell me about the Morton Offense?

WindyCity

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

With Morton's name coming up in head coaching discussions I am wondering if you guys can enlighten me about the offense he runs? Tendencies? Ideal personnel?

Runs a West Coast offense, loves to throw to Backs, TEs, really likes working screens, comes from Sean Payton's system so he likes to use all his backs in the running and passing game, and he isn't afraid to dial up deep passes.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You guys seem to have more speed than size at WR?

How does he use the TEs? The TEs seem to be big guys more than flex TEs who run WR routes.

This is the most we've gotten out of our TEs in the last few years. Enunwa got hurt in the preseason but he would have been a similar build of a TE so I'm sure he would have been involved more.

Wow... My upcoming mock had him going to Bears as the most shocking news.

Morton runs the adaptive WCO verison. However, he may not continue doing the heavy run game for Bears.  Maccagnan likes blocking TE that can roll out so it is a moot point whether or not Morton can flex TE out.  Pete Carmichael Jr. may be better choice for Bears. He handles deeper offensive book than Morton.

Poor Vic Fangio. Potential gets passed over by two green coaches (Tomsula and Morton?). lol. 

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Interesting read about how Morton uses spread concepts like the Saints to rip up zone defenses.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2017/film-room-new-york-jets-offense

I wish it shows Saints offense for the comparison's sake but it is not Morton's offense.  Bowles always wants spread offense so Morton does his best to run something similar to Gailey and Payton's offenses.  Again, he can adapt anything to pass first offense.  WCO? Spread? Coryell?  Mix? so go on.  Him being green is alarming, anyway.

22 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I wish it shows Saints offense for the comparison's sake but it is not Morton's offense.  Bowles always wants spread offense so Morton does his best to run something similar to Gailey and Payton's offenses.  Again, he can adapt anything to pass first offense.  WCO? Spread? Coryell?  Mix? so go on.  Him being green is alarming, anyway.

Pace and Morton worked together in New Orleans for 1 year.

Green doesn't bother me as much if you are talented. I think everyone will be chasing their Sean McVay this season, a guy who is clearly a play calling and game planning advantage.

28 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Wow... My upcoming mock had him going to Bears as the most shocking news.

Morton runs the adaptive WCO verison. However, he may not continue doing the heavy run game for Bears.  Maccagnan likes blocking TE that can roll out so it is a moot point whether or not Morton can flex TE out.  Pete Carmichael Jr. may be better choice for Bears. He handles deeper offensive book than Morton.

Poor Vic Fangio. Potential gets passed over by two green coaches (Tomsula and Morton?). lol. 

We would like to run less.

Our offense right now is run, run, pass, punt/convert 3rd and 12.

The fact that Trubisky is producing anything is shocking to us all considering how predictable and bad the play calling is.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pace and Morton worked together in New Orleans for 1 year.

Green doesn't bother me as much if you are talented. I think everyone will be chasing their Sean McVay this season, a guy who is clearly a play calling and game planning advantage.

McVay was not green when he was hired as HC for Rams. He ran OC for 3 years solid.  Morton made his first debut at OC in NFL this year but you never know.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We would like to run less.

Our offense right now is run, run, pass, punt/convert 3rd and 12.

The fact that Trubisky is producing anything is shocking to us all considering how predictable and bad the play calling is.

I would throw Trubisky to the wolves. I have no idea what happen to Bears' run game. Solid run game won't bother you.  John Fox is always that conservative.

Morton's offense suffers 1,2,3 and out many times this year.  Most of them were passes. Same difference.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

With Morton's name coming up in head coaching discussions I am wondering if you guys can enlighten me about the offense he runs? Tendencies? Ideal personnel?

He is better than the past few we had, every body seems to like him. His only problem is he just doesn't have the talent, but he is doing the best he can with the garbage the Jet front office gave him. He is the coach we do not want to lose.  But you can have the rest of the coaching staff,  and we will even throw in a GM

Archived