• Trevor Davis
    • Antonio Davis
    • Dale Davis
    • Davis Love III
    • ThatJerkDavis

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Those are all valid points.

The guys on The Athletic podcast say Winfrey has been number 1 on KR and PR

Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t  Lazard and Watkins have a played a good amount of snaps in the slot ? They’re not a Cobb type ( which I would like in the offense ) but it also would get Doubbs or Watson on the field more. I honestly think that would be the route they’d go. 

I still just don’t see the point with Amari. Even if Cobb gets hurt, i feel highly confident saying he wouldn’t get many offensive snaps, targets or balls thrown his way. He’s going in Rodgers’ doghouse and isn’t good enough to dig himself out of it.  If Cobb gets hurt , they’re gonna have a different game plan to keep Amari off the field . 

I like Hefflin a lot. Our D line is stacked , but I still want him on this roster. Gafford too

Serious question, what's the appeal of a Cobb type in this offense?

If I was trying to make the argument for it, I would be advocating for a short area speed guy for a chain mover on 3rd and medium.

But is that really out weighed by Lazard's far superior blocking on most downs and the ability to split the seam against the 2 high looks? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If I was trying to make the argument for it, I would be advocating for a short area speed guy for a chain mover on 3rd and medium.

But is that really out weighed by Lazard's far superior blocking on most downs and the ability to split the seam against the 2 high looks? 

I’ve always had the perception that a ‘traditional’ slot WR could get short yardage first downs more effectively. 

In terms of this team; I was dead wrong on Cobb last year. I thought he was toast. To my surprise, he played pretty damn good. 

If he’s hurt, Lazard in the slot and Doubbs/Watson with Watkins on the outside is way more valuable than Amari in the slot. 

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yeah, I'e wondered this question too. 

From my perspective, how many snaps do you want to give to Cobb, compared to running 11 with Lazard slot and two wideouts? 

If Cobb does get tired or hurt, does he do something so valuable and unique that you need to dedicate a second roster-spot to a Cobb understudy?  To belabor the Amari-Winfree discussion:  if Cobb gets injured, but Amari isn't perceived as ready to do what Cobb is supposed to do, would the offense be compromised if Lazard took Cobb's slot snaps?  Or if Winfree or Doubs were getting some snaps as the 3rd receiver in 11 sets?  Watkins has played a lot of ball, is a big target and a physical blocker; might he not function well in slot?  Winfree is strong and a pretty willing blocker; not sure how good he is, maybe lousy, or maybe he's fine?  Might Winfree perhaps be a solid next-man-up for Cobb packages?   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Refugee said:

My crystal ball says they commit to it and then at least have control to rework a longer deal, trade, or he takes the wheel because 12 can't go for some unforeseen reason.  It will be an expensive commitment but if they think he is an NFL starting QB, they should not just let him walk for nothing.

I dont think they'll commit to the 5th year.  Too expensive for such mediocre performance.  I wouldn't rule out some kind of deal, but thats going to be Loves call and what he wants to do.

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont think they'll commit to the 5th year.  Too expensive for such mediocre performance.  I wouldn't rule out some kind of deal, but thats going to be Loves call and what he wants to do.

If Love can decipher Rodgers' motivation to outlast him, I can't see him signing a team friendly extension. I can see why the Packers would love it if he would though. Even without being 100% convinced in him.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I always like the idea of having different types of match-ups to throw at opponents.  I think having both a Lazard and a Cobb has more advantages than having two of either.  Sometimes you can win with the little quick guy.  Other times you use the giant.  I think it is probably situationally determined, both with down and distance and opponent's personnel.  

The book on Randall Cobb is that he is effective when healthy, but he will miss some time, and play games when he is not close to 100% effective.  When he inevitably gets dinged up, do we throw that part of the offense out until he gets back, or try to use a reasonable facsimile of what he offers? For better or worse, the best Randall Cobb clone we have is Amari Rodgers, and I think that works against Winfree making the team.   

54 minutes ago, craig said:

Might Winfree perhaps be a solid next-man-up for Cobb packages?   

Craig, I think you are spot on with your thoughts in that post.  In my view, this is the crux of the situation.  I don't think Winfree is the same type of player as Cobb.  To me (and I am sure I am going to get flak for this), Winfree's game is similar to Davante Adams, he just isn't nearly as good.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cobbs appeal in this offense that Rodgers trust in him to be where he's supposed to be.   Rodgers is going to lean on the vets (Lazard, Cobb and Watkins)a lot especially early in the season.  

Amari Rodgers is too short as a receiver, if you are that short, you better have wheels.   He doesn't.   Hes going to be running jet sweeps and some very short passing game stuff.

Cobb isnt what he once was but brings invaluable leadership to the room and is playing for peanuts.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

cobb couldn't create any separation last year. clutch moments last year all required perfect throws. obviously the lowest potential due to his age.  aaron rodgers is the only reason cobb stays on this roster. 

winfree way more potential, but cobb did make some critical plays in big moments last year... so there is an 'it' factor that i can live with. 

27 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Cobbs appeal in this offense that Rodgers trust in him to be where he's supposed to be.

This sums up my thoughts as well.  I see no specific appeal of having a "Cobb type" WR in this offense.  I do see the appeal of having Cobb in the offense.  Only because Rodgers isn't going to nitpick every misstep Cobb might make when running his routes, or use every drop as an excuse to ignore him as a target.

31 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Cobbs appeal in this offense that Rodgers trust in him to be where he's supposed to be.   Rodgers is going to lean on the vets (Lazard, Cobb and Watkins)a lot especially early in the season.  

Amari Rodgers is too short as a receiver, if you are that short, you better have wheels.   He doesn't.   Hes going to be running jet sweeps and some very short passing game stuff.

Cobb isnt what he once was but brings invaluable leadership to the room and is playing for peanuts.

cobb should just be a coach. leadership is not worth a roster spot

22 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

If Love can decipher Rodgers' motivation to outlast him, I can't see him signing a team friendly extension. I can see why the Packers would love it if he would though. Even without being 100% convinced in him.

Well yes we will have no succession plan in place.  Worst thing you can do is be caught without a QB.  If Rodgers is hell bent on outlasting Love all the more reason to get Love under contract for a few more seasons.  Keep Rodgers around as long as possible.  As of now Love has no market value.  Maybe that will change next year but I doubt it.  If the Packers want Love  they may have to pony up a bit more than market to keep him.  Shouldn't be prohibitive.  

Love did show a bit more against the Saints.  At least the kid is continuing to improve.  He'll never beat out Rodgers for the starting gig unless Rodgers is playing in a wheelchair.  No decisions have to be made anytime soon fortunately.  In an ideal world you would develop a QB under HOF Rodgers and have him ready to assume the starting role when Rodgers hangs it up. 

Think that is what Gute was trying to do just pulled the trigger a few years to early.  For the record thought drafting a QB was the right thing to do at the time.  Didn't see the Rodgers revival coming either.