1. 1. who was this week's mvp?

• Tyler Davis
    • Trevor Davis
    • Antonio Davis
    • Dale Davis
    • Davis Love III
    • ThatJerkDavis

2 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

There are those arguing that Love wouldn’t resign with a moderate extension in GB “because he could get more and be a starter elsewhere”.  If that’s true, he’s going to bring back a comp pick.

I think that argument is stupid, as Green Bay should know whether he’s their next guy or not by the end of this season, regardless of Rodgers situation.  They will sign him to an extension if they want to ensure he succeeds Rodgers in 2024 or 2025.  

And what if Rodgers does exactly what Brady just did? Decides to dictate his own terms and desire to keep playing. And still clearly better than Love as the 2024 season wraps up? Do you try and force Rodgers out?

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Only flaw in your logic is what guarantee does Love have at a starting gig elsewhere?  Best he could probably do is a low level contract with a chance to compete that's it. 

Woah, woah, woah, I thought everyone was ready to anoint Love as a starter in this league after Friday's game. Fans here want it both ways. They want him just good enough that only we can see the ability but the whole league and QB needy teams are supposed to completely miss it? And as usual everyone seems to think Jordan Love is some battered child who is so desperate for the Packers to give him his shot that he holds zero confidence to contemplate betting on himself elsewhere.

Everyone seems to only weigh the parts of the picture that fit their own beliefs. The funniest one is the one where people here can see how good Jordan Love is going to become but he apparently can't see it in himself and will magically sign some team friendly extension to wait for Aaron Rodgers. A player who is still elite in this league and finally might have a defense and some young blood at WR. A guy who desperately wants to win at least one more ring and wants to outlast his hand-picked replacement.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Woah, woah, woah, I thought everyone was ready to anoint Love as a starter in this league after Friday's game. Fans here want it both ways. They want him just good enough that only we can see the ability but the whole league and QB needy teams are supposed to completely miss it? And as usual everyone seems to think Jordan Love is some battered child who is so desperate for the Packers to give him his shot that he holds zero confidence to contemplate betting on himself elsewhere.

Everyone seems to only weigh the parts of the picture that fit their own beliefs. The funniest one is the one where people here can see how good Jordan Love is going to become but he apparently can't see it in himself and will magically sign some team friendly extension to wait for Aaron Rodgers. A player who is still elite in this league and finally might have a defense and some young blood at WR.

5 years 30 million 🤣

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

thats not how this ends

• Like 2

It's basically...

"He's really good and he'll be a fine Rodgers' replacement but he doesn't know he's good so he'll sign a team friendly deal and wait as long as it takes for Rodgers to hang 'em up."

And also...

"I'm watching him this preseason and he's made huge strides, but thankfully no NFL team will see it and there will be no market for him so he'll sign a team friendly deal with the Packers".

Edited by Mr Anonymous

35 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Should a trade materialize this off season. There will be plenty or potential landing spots for Love. Assuming he continues to improve. I'd say a very good week 3 in preseason enhances his value a bit. Some regular season action would help but nobody wants that unless it's in garbage time after we've trounced our opponent. 

Seattle, Carolina, Detroit, New Orleans, NY Giants, Tampa and Washington likely are in QB market. I absolutely believe this is Brady's last dance. 

Others who MIGHT be in the market depending on how their guy does: Chicago, Houston, NOLA, Miami, Philly, and Jets. I happen to think Zach Wilson is the real deal and will prove that this year. 

There are a lot of landing spots every year for QB's. It's the nature of the business. A guy who has had proper training and is only 24 is attractive to many teams. He's shown a lot this preseason. Regular season reps are what he needs. 

Can't disagree on the teams you listed (tough you have new Orleans listed 2x)

Some of those teams also have QB that have NFL starting experience, so that adds into the potential QB shifting around.

19 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

If you're Jordan Love and you believe in your ability, and you suspect Rodgers is going to play beyond '24, then no. You move on where you can play and bet on yourself.

You think Love would have a market that could garner a better contract?

13 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

If you're Jordan Love and you believe in your ability, and you suspect Rodgers is going to play beyond '24, then no. You move on where you can play and bet on yourself.

All sides are going to be taking this a year at a time.

When its new contract time, if Rodgers is still carrying on then it probably comes down to whether another team is going to give him a chance to compete for a starting spot with a decent contract.  If they do that then he will go there - he can't wait indefinitely (Rodgers likely wont know which to be fair put yourself in Rodgers shoes you probably either and would be taking it year by year) and in that scenario packers aren't going to want to match the contract in all likelihood.  When you are paying Rodgers 4bn a year or whatever you can't have a (relatively) highly paid backup.

If that opportunity doesn't present itself then he probably stays with Packers.

6 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

All it takes is one team and Love desiring to play sooner rather than later. That's not far-fetched at all.

Winston got a $1.1M deal with Saints

Mariota got a 2 year $17.6M with Raiders. 

Both had 3+ years of NFL starting experience (50+ games).

Love can desire to play sooner, but I would be shocked if he got offered more than 5 years $30M

7 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’ve always had the perception that a ‘traditional’ slot WR could get short yardage first downs more effectively. 

In terms of this team; I was dead wrong on Cobb last year. I thought he was toast. To my surprise, he played pretty damn good. 

If he’s hurt, Lazard in the slot and Doubbs/Watson with Watkins on the outside is way more valuable than Amari in the slot. 

Randall Cobb had 375 yards last year, never had a 100 yard game and averaged 32 yards per game. Why are you saying that you were wrong?

And while I agree with your assertion in the last paragraph, why do you feel differently about Cobb and Amari in that setup?

I won't try to understand the value of QB's in today's NFL. Makes zero sense to me.

If you are a current starter and negotiating a contract, apparently you get to become the next highest paid, no matter where you land on the talent scale. See Prescott, Murray.

If you are traded, your value is garbage. See Baker Mayfield (too lazy to remember others)

So if we sign Love it will cost 400 kabiilion dollars, but if we trade him, we can get a conditional 7th ....apparently

Just now, squire12 said:

Winston got a $1.1M deal with Saints

Mariota got a 2 year $17.6M with Raiders. 

Both had 3+ years of NFL starting experience (50+ games).

Love can desire to play sooner, but I would be shocked if he got offered more than 5 years $30M

5 year 30 million is colt mccoy money.

There is no reason to sign a 3 year 30 million dollar deal. 

If he is betting on himself, he goes two year max or aav 10+.

5 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Cobbs appeal in this offense that Rodgers trust in him to be where he's supposed to be.   Rodgers is going to lean on the vets (Lazard, Cobb and Watkins)a lot especially early in the season.  

Amari Rodgers is too short as a receiver, if you are that short, you better have wheels.   He doesn't.   Hes going to be running jet sweeps and some very short passing game stuff.

Cobb isnt what he once was but brings invaluable leadership to the room and is playing for peanuts.

Cobb is making 4 million and change. That's not peanuts. 

Cobb doesn't have wheels either at this point and isn't any taller. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

You don't think Love considers a 5 year $30M type contract after this 2022 season?

2 years of voided at the end gives Love some leverage to leave if desired after 3 years

2 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

5 year 30 million is colt mccoy money.

There is no reason to sign a 3 year 30 million dollar deal. 

If he is betting on himself, he goes two year max or aav 10+.

My initial concept of a contract would have a few void years on it.  Love get more $$ up front and a leverage piece if he wants to move on.  GB gets flexibility to spead some cap over longer time

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The only thing that's ever bothered me about the Love pick was the trade up to get him.  If Love had fallen to GB's pick at 30, it would have been a lot easier to spin it as a "the value was just too good to pass up" pick.  The trade up shifted the conversation from Love being a value pick to "GB wanted Love badly" which I think is part of what set Rodgers off.

Why does this bother you?

If the thought was that he's your future franchise QB, why do you care?