Preseason Week 3: Raiders @ Dolphins

RaidersAreOne

I’ll just say any and all coaching staffs refusal to recognize bad players sometimes is frickin mind boggling?! And it’s not just our team, sometimes it seems as simple as a pride thing and not wanting to be wrong about a player they “ loved” hopefully this ends with us, but seeing as how we’ve put ourselves in this position by steadfastly ignoring the o-line all off season, I’m not holding my breath currently. And btw, I’m sorry, but how can Williams or Massie/fisher NOT be considered better than pleatherwhiff????? SMH!!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The only way this team doesn’t make the playoffs is if the OL is so horrendous it cost us games. Definitely a little nervous, and wish Carr was mobile which would solve the problem. The other three QB’s in our division don’t have to worry about bad OL’s because they have wheels and can maneuver around endlessly. Wilson, Herbert, and Mahomes may be the three best play extenders in the entire NFL. 

Edit: Forgot about Allen who is #1, but those three are definitely in the Top 4. 

IMO, its not that carr doesnt have mobility, its just the 6th sense of knowing when and where pressure is coming from. 
Carr has the mobility / ability to extend plays, but it doesnt  come as naturally to him as those guys. (obviously)

late in the season Carr seemed to move better and was able to extend plays to get Renfrow some time, so hopefully thats something Adams helps him with too. Im not QB but understanding what your WRs are doing may make it easier for the qb to know where to roll too?

ive noticed that a lot of times when plays break down, Carr seems to roll the opposite ways of what our wrs are doing lol. 
Extending plays, lead to breakdowns and open WRs, something Carr and the raiders need to improve on. 

Oline is def a big ??, i assume josh has a plan with playcalling to cover it up, but if we are down in games it will make it that much tougher to score quick

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

IMO, its not that carr doesnt have mobility, its just the 6th sense of knowing when and where pressure is coming from. 
Carr has the mobility / ability to extend plays, but it doesnt  come as naturally to him as those guys. (obviously)

late in the season Carr seemed to move better and was able to extend plays to get Renfrow some time, so hopefully thats something Adams helps him with too. Im not QB but understanding what your WRs are doing may make it easier for the qb to know where to roll too?

ive noticed that a lot of times when plays break down, Carr seems to roll the opposite ways of what our wrs are doing lol. 
Extending plays, lead to breakdowns and open WRs, something Carr and the raiders need to improve on. 

Oline is def a big ??, i assume josh has a plan with playcalling to cover it up, but if we are down in games it will make it that much tougher to score quick

Last year swear seemed like everytime he rolled  the play was over incomplete or throwaway. 

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yes, it is a concern. I’m not too worried about the DLine as from what I’ve seen Hankins, Peko and Billings looks serviceable plus we have Nichols coming back and the edges will be good to great hopefully. Sure, it could be better and I’d always advocate for interior DLinemen but I think they can get the job done. 

The OLine on the other hand is still very much a work in progress. OC and LT seem settled but I have questions about both guard spots as Simpson was pretty bad last year, Parham is a rookie and Cotton though looking good in a couple games and in camp played poorly last game and is still unproven. RT could be a complete debacle. It’s kind of the opposite of Reggie McKenzie who threw money at a great OLine, now we’ve gone total opposite when maybe we should be occupying the middle ground.

This is why this team frustrates me.  There is always a glaring hole during the draft and we either ignore it or try to fill it with someone we know is not going to work.  Been waiting a long time for a Raiders coaching staff to prove this board wrong.  I am not as worried about the d-line either but I want a dominant IDL player for once.  I want a DT that can takeover when needed and a chess player at MLB.  Perryman is good and will have the team setup for our DC's play call but will not consistently have us ready for the other teams play call.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Have not watched any of the games yet but this is what I was scared of.  I did not want to make the splash trade for Adams and spend the money before we got the o-line and d-line settled.  Weapons do not matter when you can not protect the QB.  Nothing for RT in the FA market so what do we do now.  Give away a 2nd or 3rd to get an average RT that would have cost us $5 million in FA and no draft capital.  I hope they figure it out but with the way this offseason has gone they will mortgage the future to get average players to fill obvious holes.  This is not directed at anyone in particular but just quoted you NCOUGHMAN because we generally have logical discussions about the teams issues.

We knew we needed ot help I don’t know why we’ve been so casual about the oline position group esp ot 

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

We knew we needed ot help I don’t know why we’ve been so casual about the oline position group esp ot 

With a new staff inheriting a young group on the Oline, I'm sure they wanted to see what they had and how they could coach them. No fault in that. 

They have 20+ in cap. Reportedly don't like the FA class. Safe bet they make a play at Oline before week 1. And guessing OG as well.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

I’ll just say any and all coaching staffs refusal to recognize bad players sometimes is frickin mind boggling?! And it’s not just our team, sometimes it seems as simple as a pride thing and not wanting to be wrong about a player they “ loved” hopefully this ends with us, but seeing as how we’ve put ourselves in this position by steadfastly ignoring the o-line all off season, I’m not holding my breath currently. And btw, I’m sorry, but how can Williams or Massie/fisher NOT be considered better than pleatherwhiff????? SMH!!!!

My pet peeve is passing on legit olinemen esp ot’s because they don’t fit the scheme but will pick a guy who can’t block but he fits the scheme so it’s ok

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

With a new staff inheriting a young group on the Oline, I'm sure they wanted to see what they had and how they could coach them. No fault in that. 

They have 20+ in cap. Reportedly don't like the FA class. Safe bet they make a play at Oline before week 1. And guessing OG as well.  

They see practices etc etc and know more than we do so I wonder when the light bulb went off and they finally decided oline wasn’t set. Us casual fans knew that at the end of last year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You can not like the FA class and still acknowledge that there are guys on the street who can outplay our current guys. Gonna give Ziegler the benefit of the doubt for now.

13 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

They see practices etc etc and know more than we do so I wonder when the light bulb went off and they finally decided oline wasn’t set. Us casual fans knew that at the end of last year. 

Hopefully that is the way now!

What is worrying however, is that over the past few years a bunch of us watching YouTube clips and the matches in various states of drunkenness quite clearly know more than our exorbitantly paid FO when it comes to talent spotting 😂😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Hopefully that is the way now!

What is worrying however, is that over the past few years a bunch of us watching YouTube clips and the matches in various states of drunkenness quite clearly know more than our exorbitantly paid FO when it comes to talent spotting 😂😂😂😂

Giving the new fo a chance hoping it’s different but seems like they’ve dropped the ball on the oline 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Giving the new fo a chance hoping it’s different but seems like they’ve dropped the ball on the oline 

It's definitely frustrating because we all could see that it was the glaring issue on the team. Based on how they do things in NE (usually having an OL made up of mid-late round guys that are versatile), I'd bet that McD and Ziegler didn't realize just HOW bad the OL was. I'm not sure it'll be a priority with high draft picks or salary next offseason, but I do expect to see a lot of new faces on that line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mct288 said:

It's definitely frustrating because we all could see that it was the glaring issue on the team. Based on how they do things in NE (usually having an OL made up of mid-late round guys that are versatile), I'd bet that McD and Ziegler didn't realize just HOW bad the OL was. I'm not sure it'll be a priority with high draft picks or salary next offseason, but I do expect to see a lot of new faces on that line. 

Bottom line is McDaniels is adept to scheme around some issues and Carr gets the ball out quick and I thought improved his pocket awareness the last couple years. They probably can manage the situation for the best part of the season. However, It’ll make a big negative difference against the very good teams and they’ll be the crunch games.

• Like 1