RUMOR: Will Cousins be traded for Garappolo next March?

turtle28

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Why would we want Garoppolo though?  He isn't under contract either, and we'd be stuck in the same situation.  

He’d be cheaper than cousins on a long term deal and maybe comparable or a slight downgrade. Those thing# would be enticing to our front office.

Just now, turtle28 said:

He’d be cheaper than cousins on a long term deal and maybe comparable or a slight downgrade. Those thing# would be enticing to our front office.

Why would he be cheaper?  What makes you think he would accept that?  Cousins just proved it was smarter to play on the Franchise Tag for two years than to take a below market long term deal.  

7 hours ago, Forge said:

This is my overall feeling on it. I think it's a fun little theory to have and debate on, but almost no chance at happening. I think the acrimony between Shanny and Snyder is still far too much to actually be able to be willing trade partners as well. 

Jimmy G will end up playing for the 49ers this year. My understanding is that Shanny's offense, and particularly the verbage, is particularly difficult and challenging. It would make sense not to play him while he's still getting up to speed. Also add in the fact that both of our starting tackles had been out until this last week as we were starting a back up center / guard at tackle and the rest of the line was just in shambles, and it made no sense to get him killed when you had a tough guy in beathard to use as a punching bag (which sounds mean as all get out, but it is what it is)

It’s true the Shanahan offense, especially the verbage is difficult and challenging to learn. We experienced that with our qb in 2010. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Why would he be cheaper?  What makes you think he would accept that?  Cousins just proved it was smarter to play on the Franchise Tag for two years than to take a below market long term deal.  

I shouldn’t have to answer this question, it’s obvious. Garapollo hasn’t even started an entire season in the nfl yet, let a lone throw for 4,000 yards back to back and nearly 5,000 last year and he hasn’t led a team to the playoffs.

Its true Jimmy G could go the franchise route like Cousins, and if that was the case, he’d be cheaper for us on a franchise tag as well. He wouldn’t be getting the 2 year bump that Cousins is getting right now, so on the franchise tag next year he’d probably cost 21 or 22 million.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I shouldn’t have to answer this question, it’s obvious. Garapollo hasn’t even started an entire season in the nfl yet, let a lone throw for 4,000 yards back to back and nearly 5,000 last year and he hasn’t led a team to the playoffs.

Its true Jimmy G could go the franchise route like Cousins, and if that was the case, he’d be cheaper for us on a franchise tag as well. He wouldn’t be getting the 2 year bump that Cousins is getting right now, so on the franchise tag next year he’d probably cost 21 or 22 million.

We made a lowball contract offer to Cousins two years ago when he was in the exact same situation.  He basically set the exact blueprint Jimmy G should follow in his contract negotiations.  

This debate is pointless though.  You really believe Snyder will approve a trade of Cousins to Kyle Shanahan?

3 minutes ago, Slateman said:

There is no way the 49ers traded for Garoppolo  and won't play him this season. That would be beyond idiotic. I can not believe Shanahan and Lynch are that stupid. Not even Bruce Allen or the Browns are that freaking stupid

Why?  They can tank and get a better draft pick.  Franchise Tag Jimmy G in the offseason and let him get a full offseason of prep in Shanahan's offense.  That gives them a full 1-year true look at what he can do for them before they have to pony up a long term deal.  I don't know what sending him out there now will accomplish.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Why?  They can tank and get a better draft pick.  Franchise Tag Jimmy G in the offseason and let him get a full offseason of prep in Shanahan's offense.  That gives them a full 1-year true look at what he can do for them before they have to pony up a long term deal.  I don't know what sending him out there now will accomplish.

They gave up a second rounder for him. They have to take a look at him and determine whether they're taking a QB in the first round of they're sticking cupboard with talent.

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

They gave up a second rounder for him. They have to take a look at him and determine whether they're taking a QB in the first round of they're sticking cupboard with talent.

They have all next year to take a look at him though right?  There’s no way they let him leave they will 100% tag him.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They have all next year to take a look at him though right?  There’s no way they let him leave they will 100% tag him.

The 34th pick in the draft and ~25 million to find out if a guy can play? Makes zero sense to me. You play him out of the bye and use the rest of the season as pre-season.

He's made two starts and thrown less than 100 passes. He needs the reps.

3 minutes ago, Slateman said:

The 34th pick in the draft and ~25 million to find out if a guy can play? Makes zero sense to me. You play him out of the bye and use the rest of the season as pre-season.

He's made two starts and thrown less than 100 passes. He needs the reps.

The cap space is meaningless to them they have oodles.  They can’t trade 34 and dump a guy after a few games.

39 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The cap space is meaningless to them they have oodles.  They can’t trade 34 and dump a guy after a few games.

Trading 34 and dumping is better than trading 34, not taking one of the QBs in the 2018 NFL Draft, spending 25 million, and finishing outside of the Top 5, and missing out on your franchise QB in 2019.

Just now, Slateman said:

Trading 34 and dumping is better than trading 34, not taking one of the QBs in the 2018 NFL Draft, spending 25 million, and finishing outside of the Top 5, and missing out on your franchise QB in 2019.

Maybe, unless they scouted this draft class and don’t see a franchise QB.

Archived