The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

This is so, so, so good!! A little upset we didn't get the subway bc that part of the game was so intense but they absolutely killed the museum both from a set standpoint and the clickers are so well done. Tess' ending was better this way than the game also

Both leads are doing amazing. 

The new spin with the "wood wide web" is interesting and will take a little getting used to but it's good. 

Can't wait for next week's but I'll probably have to watch Monday bc I'll be too inebriated from the Who Deys game. We'll see 

So far though, absolutely no complaints about this. 

My wife and I have always chuckled at the tendency in Naughty Dog games for the characters to comment on the view. It's this kind of weird self-praise moment when you think about how video games work. But we absolutely lost it when they tacked that on in the TV show.

Feels like they've made a couple jokes at the game's expense, which I kind of appreciate. Ellie commenting that she can't swim and Joel just jumping in the water to show she can walk through it felt like a shot at the pallet sequences too.

Just need some riff on Joel having to move a ladder and we'll have truly made it.

Has kept all the emotion, and enhanced it so far, but still has found time to admit that the change in mediums is a little funny.

• Like 3

One of the best parts of the show (and game) so far are the sets and visuals. It’s hilarious that zombie things always make it seem like humanity is responsible for the beauty of nature and without humans, the world just turns gray and somber. But this world is lush with nature taking everything back over. It’s nice not having anything be an eyesore so far

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

One of the best parts of the show (and game) so far are the sets and visuals. It’s hilarious that zombie things always make it seem like humanity is responsible for the beauty of nature and without humans, the world just turns gray and somber. But this world is lush with nature taking everything back over. It’s nice not having anything be an eyesore so far

Agreed! They're nailing the sets and it's far more realistic than other post apocalyptic shows I've watched. 

The sets are amazing.  They build or replicate the game so much.   And yes the self owns are great.  

The characters are so authentic.   The writing is incredible in how spot-on it’s been.  

The action scenes are just amazing.  

Side note - I died so much playing those Clickers in the game.  Probably wasted as much ammo as you saw in the ep today too.  Ellie's reaction at the end and her one-liner was how I felt.  Lol.  

Crazy part - Ep3 is supposed to be miles better than 1 & 2.  Can’t wait.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

For the non-game watchers, do these openings scenes help add context for you? The pilot episode opening scene was incredibly well done and I loved it. This one seemed a bit repetitive but that might be such because I am burdened with knowledge. 

For game watchers I think it’s still helpful.   It also explains the devastation for the buildings & roads that we’ve seen in so many cities.  

Edited by Broncofan

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

For the non-game watchers, do these openings scenes help add context for you? The pilot episode opening scene was incredibly well done and I loved it. This one seemed a bit repetitive but that might be such because I am burdened with knowledge. 

I thought it was cool to see it internationally. Especially since they mentioned the location in the pilot. Definitely really tense opening as well for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The sets are amazing.  They build or replicate the game so much.   And yes the self owns are great.  

The characters are so authentic.   The writing is incredible in how spot-on it’s been.  

The action scenes are just amazing.  

Side note - I died so much playing those Clickers in the game.  Probably wasted as much ammo as you saw in the ep today too.  Ellie's reaction at the end and her one-liner was how I felt.  Lol.  

Crazy part - Ep3 is supposed to be miles better than 1 & 2.  Can’t wait.  

Question about this episode :

Spoiler

Did Tess twitch or something before Ellie yelled that she was infected? I also don’t know how Ellie got bit at the exact same spot. Or was she clawed?

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

Question about this episode :

Hide contents

Did Tess twitch or something before Ellie yelled that she was infected? I also don’t know how Ellie got bit at the exact same spot. Or was she clawed?

Spoiler

In the game and ep the fact Tess told everyone she wasn’t leaving and her agitation / saying their luck had to run out sooner or later gave it away.  I’ll have to look at the ep again but I didn’t think it was twitching.   The takeover of body functions doesn’t happen that early with infected in the game FWIW - you turn first.  

In the game Ellie just came off being with other newly infected ppl so she recognized the desperation / initial symptoms.  We didn’t know that in game but it got revealed later.  I suspect the same will happen with the series  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In the game and ep the fact Tess told everyone she wasn’t leaving and her agitation / sweating gave it away.  I’ll have to look at the ep again but I didn’t think it was twitching.   The takeover of body functions doesn’t happen that early with infected in the game FWIW - you turn first.  

In the game Ellie just came off being with other newly infected ppl so she recognized the desperation / initial symptoms.  We didn’t know that in game but it got revealed later.  I suspect the same will happen with the series  

Spoiler

How did Ellie get bitten twice in the same spot? Or can it spread through other means?

45 minutes ago, Xenos said:
  Hide contents

How did Ellie get bitten twice in the same spot? Or can it spread through other means?

Spoiler

In the game, she never got bitten again so this is new to us. From what I saw though, it was the scene where Joel and her were fighting when Tess was off camera. The location of the bite, I'm guessing, was purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

55 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:
  Hide contents

In the game, she never got bitten again so this is new to us. From what I saw though, it was the scene where Joel and her were fighting when Tess was off camera. The location of the bite, I'm guessing, was purely coincidental.

Spoiler

Not only was it new - but it was clearly meant to provide a little comic relief.    The “oh man not again” look she gave was priceless.  

But no, infection can occur anywhere.   Bites are because bodily fluids containing the cordyceps can enter.   Not so clear if a scrape can.  Hand strikes didn’t cause infection in the game FWIW. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Hide contents

Not only was it new - but it was clearly meant to provide a little comic relief.    The “oh man not again” look she gave was priceless.  

But no, infection can occur anywhere.   Bites are because bodily fluids containing the cordyceps can enter.   Not so clear if a scrape can.  Hand strikes didn’t cause infection in the game FWIW. 

Spoiler

It was just weird because her sleeves looked fine. And you would think we see the bite actually happen.

Edited by Xenos

10 minutes ago, Xenos said:
  Hide contents

It was just weird because her sleeves looked fine. And you would think we see the bite actually happen.

Spoiler

That’s classic zombie MO.   Just show a fight but don’t show the bite.   In the games you don’t see it actually happening either.   It mimics the chaos of wartime where so much is happening all at once.    

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1