The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

6 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I was actually really curious about this 

They actually did a really good job recreating parts of the city. They had minor details no one outside KC would know like the “MAST” ambulance. That company ran the ambulances back in the day then merged with the city in 2010. Even the random buildings mostly exist. The main one I don’t think exists was the bar they hid in. But maybe it did back then?

The only negative was that the geography was off. If they were going north past the amusement park (Worlds of Fun) then they’d already be 10ish minutes past downtown. Plus the FedEx building/trucks are elsewhere. Minor complaint though that I totally understand. 

Review bombing or not LOU is headed into uncharted waters (nothing new for ND) - viewership went up for a fourth straight week.    Even the biggest hit series had drops by now.   Word of mouth clearly the biggest impact (and so much for the idea the plot/focus would divide).   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Review bombing or not LOU is headed into uncharted waters (nothing new for ND) - viewership went up for a fourth straight week.    Even the biggest hit series had drops by now.   Word of mouth clearly the biggest impact (and so much for the idea the plot/focus would divide).   

Meh, those review bombing are definitely the minority so I wouldn't expect it to cause too much lessened viewership. Plus, we all know in the long run that they are still going to watch b/c they probably played the game and want to see the rest of it play out lol. Regardless of why they disliked it or not, objectively, it's pretty damn hard to argue that Pedro and Bella aren't absolutely killing it as Joel and Ellie. 

I remember reading that the jump of viewership from Ep1 to Ep2 was huge and that's it's continuously climbed every episode. I find it interesting that this is a rarity in shows which is what I read about it. Great that it keeps climbing though. More viewership will certainly not  be a bad thing for the future of this world.

12 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Meh, those review bombing are definitely the minority so I wouldn't expect it to cause too much lessened viewership. Plus, we all know in the long run that they are still going to watch b/c they probably played the game and want to see the rest of it play out lol. Regardless of why they disliked it or not, objectively, it's pretty damn hard to argue that Pedro and Bella aren't absolutely killing it as Joel and Ellie. 

I remember reading that the jump of viewership from Ep1 to Ep2 was huge and that's it's continuously climbed every episode. I find it interesting that this is a rarity in shows which is what I read about it. Great that it keeps climbing though. More viewership will certainly not  be a bad thing for the future of this world.

It's truly unchartered territory, according to Forbes (and this was after Week 3, notwithstanding Week 4 increasing by another 1.1M viewers, or 17 percent):

For the record, this kind of thing just…doesn’t happen, even with HBO’s other megahit shows.   

• Game of Thrones season 1 lost viewership in week 2 before going up in week 3.
  • House of the Dragon gained viewership in week 2, but dove pretty sharply by week 3.
  • The White Lotus season 2 lost viewership in week 2, but went up in week 3.
  • Euphoria season 1 went down in week 2 and week 3. Season 2 went up, then down by week 3.

Of the shows I’ve checked here, I’ve only seen The White Lotus season 1 go up in viewership every single week of its debut season, including the first three episodes. But the percent increases are lower than The Last of Us, and overall viewership is a fraction of the millions TLOU is getting.

At this point, S3 is probably going to get green-lit, given the likelihood S2-S3 will span the 2nd game.

• Like 2

Just finished Episode 3.  Excellent and better/more heartfelt than how Bill and Frank goes down in the video game, although the video game wouldn't have been able to pull it off due to restraints since Bill/Frank weren't playable characters.  Still job well done.  Definitely hit me when the letter said "do what you can to protect Tess".

Haven't watched Episode 4 yet so I'll avoid the posts above, although I don't really care about spoilers when it comes to this show.  However as much as I'm ready for Joel and Ellie to start connecting, I love how snippy they can be towards each other in the show.  They have amazing chemistry.

• Like 4

Good episode, a lot of character progression and world building for the plot that happens in KC.  As well told as last weeks episode was, I do think it threw the momentum of the narrative off.  Getting back into being centered around Joel and Ellie, just like eps 1 and 2.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I just happened to watch some early cutscenes from the first game on youtube. These scenes are exactly the same as scenes in the show. Like, verbatim. That seems weird, right? Do people who played the game actually like that? I feel like I wouldn't.

Not really, since they took the best scenes from that first chapter.   And it's quite clear the show is willing to deviate from the game when it matters. 

A lot of the scenes that they kept were either terrific drama (Sarah), or very much preserved the spirit of relationships (the magazine scene & puns with Ellie).    The first 2 pre-ep background scenes were amazing.

If anything, there's a small but vocal segment that are saying "it should be more like the game" where it veers off (when it comes to ep3, let's also be real and recognize there's another agenda there at work, too).   To which I say - what's the point of the TV series, then?  You could watch a Youtube collage of cutscenes and in-game dialogue moments / boss battle scenes.   

The more legitimate criticism is that the show using only 1 season, it's passing over some amazing chapter moments that were in-game.   That's the problem when you decide to take a 20+ hour game (to be completionist) and try to fit it into 8+ hours (ep3 being totally self-contained, and for good reason).    Bill's Town, and Pittsburgh had some amazing gameplay moments - but those are the choices you have to make to get 20+ hours into 8+.    Personally, I think LOU1 could have fit into 2 seasons, but now that they've gone this route, I get that it means some amazing in-game moments get skipped.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Not really, since they took the best scenes from that first chapter.   And it's quite clear the show is willing to deviate from the game when it matters. 

A lot of the scenes that they kept were either terrific drama (Sarah), or very much preserved the spirit of relationships (the magazine scene & puns with Ellie).    The first 2 pre-ep background scenes were amazing.

If anything, there's a small but vocal segment that are saying "it should be more like the game" where it veers off (when it comes to ep3, let's also be real and recognize there's another agenda there at work, too).   To which I say - what's the point of the TV series, then?  You could watch a Youtube collage of cutscenes and in-game dialogue moments / boss battle scenes.   

The more legitimate criticism is that the show using only 1 season, it's passing over some amazing chapter moments that were in-game.   That's the problem when you decide to take a 20+ hour game (to be completionist) and try to fit it into 8+ hours (ep3 being totally self-contained, and for good reason).    Bill's Town, and Pittsburgh had some amazing gameplay moments - but those are the choices you have to make to get 20+ hours into 8+.    Personally, I think LOU1 could have fit into 2 seasons, but now that they've gone this route, I get that it means some amazing in-game moments get skipped.

That's the one I saw. Hank Williams, the adult magazine, everything was exactly the same. So it is just a few of those scenes then, not everything is ripped exactly from the game (outside of episode 3 obviously)?

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That's the one I saw. Hank Williams, the adult magazine, everything was exactly the same. So it is just a few of those scenes then, not everything is ripped exactly from the game (outside of episode 3 obviously)?

Yeah, some of the scenes that were kept just capture the essence of characters perfectly.   I'd say 95+ percent of the time in the TV series, they're doing it with either completely different presentation, or a very nuanced (but readily obvious to fans) difference.

FWIW, Bella Ramsey has NOT played the game.    Which is probably a good thing, because Ashley Johnson delivered what might be an all-time great voice acting performance as Ellie in LOU (I alternate between her & Jennifer Hale in ME series).   So it's good that Ramsey isn't trying to mimic Johnson's Ellie.    A lot of the same traits are coming out but in different ways.  That's absolutely necessary for the TV series to carve its own identity - but hopefully preserve the essence of what makes the characters and story so great.  So far, so good.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2