The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I just happened to watch some early cutscenes from the first game on youtube. These scenes are exactly the same as scenes in the show. Like, verbatim. That seems weird, right? Do people who played the game actually like that? I feel like I wouldn't.

The game did some things fantastically and I hope those all remain. At the same time, I wish there was some more deviations so I would have some surprises. I enjoyed the Bill and Frank episode quite a bit because it was new and different. But at the same time, they left out some great game stuff that took place there.

So, yes and no. Game one really should have been two seasons. As good as it’s been, I feel it’s being rushed and leaving behind so much potential. 

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

The game may take that long to beat but the story elements of it is like 3-4 hours tops. Bill's Town in the game isn't story. The show gave it a story though.

Yeah the story segment including in-game dialogue you want to capture is about that long.    I'm 100 percent behind the decisions the TV series has made.   Just the tradeoffs are you're not going to get some of the memorable gameplay moments the game included.

Spoiler

Whether it's the famous garage hanging-upside down scene & then the school gym battle in Bill's town, Pittsburgh downtown's section with Ellie sniping away, or the boss battles we encounter, it's just a lot of production to include all of those great gameplay moments.    Some viewers who've played the game wished they would have made it in the series.  But those are the tradeoffs you kinda have to accept - I'd much rather have more story, and character development in a TV series.  The key is to include enough gameplay moments that it marries both.  I think they've done a very good job so far, but you can't please everyone.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Not really, since they took the best scenes from that first chapter.   And it's quite clear the show is willing to deviate from the game when it matters. 

A lot of the scenes that they kept were either terrific drama (Sarah), or very much preserved the spirit of relationships (the magazine scene & puns with Ellie).    The first 2 pre-ep background scenes were amazing.

If anything, there's a small but vocal segment that are saying "it should be more like the game" where it veers off (when it comes to ep3, let's also be real and recognize there's another agenda there at work, too).   To which I say - what's the point of the TV series, then?  You could watch a Youtube collage of cutscenes and in-game dialogue moments / boss battle scenes.   

The more legitimate criticism is that the show using only 1 season, it's passing over some amazing chapter moments that were in-game.   That's the problem when you decide to take a 20+ hour game (to be completionist) and try to fit it into 8+ hours (ep3 being totally self-contained, and for good reason).    Bill's Town, and Pittsburgh had some amazing gameplay moments - but those are the choices you have to make to get 20+ hours into 8+.    Personally, I think LOU1 could have fit into 2 seasons, but now that they've gone this route, I get that it means some amazing in-game moments get skipped.

I'm obviously one of those people who wishes those scenes existed in the series and yes, I get the sentiment of "why have the series if it's exactly like the game" but I've never mentioned I wanted that. I'm only saying I want those pivotal action sequences to be included in the series bc I find that as entertaining as great dialogue which the show has. You can always have both. No reason we couldn't get an episode with Bill and Frank and am episode running through Bill's town especially if they did what you suggest and split the game into two seasons. They could've easily done 4 seasons with the first two games. It was almost a given that they had a hit with this show but they opted not to go that route which I get. 

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm obviously one of those people who wishes those scenes existed in the series and yes, I get the sentiment of "why have the series if it's exactly like the game" but I've never mentioned I wanted that. I'm only saying I want those pivotal action sequences to be included in the series bc I find that as entertaining as great dialogue which the show has. You can always have both. No reason we couldn't get an episode with Bill and Frank and am episode running through Bill's town especially if they did what you suggest and split the game into two seasons. They could've easily done 4 seasons with the first two games. It was almost a given that they had a hit with this show but they opted not to go that route which I get. 

I was referring to online criticism, not here FWIW.   The criticism here is mild compared to the SM wilderness (selection bias, I get it but still).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I was referring to online criticism, not here FWIW.   The criticism here is mild compared to the SM wilderness (selection bias, I get it but still).

I figured and knew it still described my feelings although I've said on numerous occasions that I have no problems with the episodes other than what was omitted. They are both excellent but yeah, they took out a lot. I like your idea of splitting it into two seasons bc then we get both but that's not what they chose and that's fine. Looks like we get our action fix in a couple days 

On 2/6/2023 at 9:06 AM, MikeT14 said:

I thought 4 was arguably the weakest so far, but still a good episode. They're doing a good job of slowly building this situationship. 

I did have a tough time with the casting of Melanie Lynskey at first but so far so good. 

I like the Melanie casting after some more time thinking about it. Good subversion of tropes but also makes sense in the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

The game did some things fantastically and I hope those all remain. At the same time, I wish there was some more deviations so I would have some surprises. I enjoyed the Bill and Frank episode quite a bit because it was new and different. But at the same time, they left out some great game stuff that took place there.

So, yes and no. Game one really should have been two seasons. As good as it’s been, I feel it’s being rushed and leaving behind so much potential. 

Given how things are getting cancelled left and right, the showrunners probably didn’t want to risk not completing the story in one season in case it wasn’t a big hit.