GDT: BENGALS AT BRONCO'S

AKRNA

THE ESSENTIALS

CINCINATTI BENGALS   3-6 (1-4 AWAY)

AT

DENVER BRONCO’S    3-6 (3-2 HOME)

LINE: DEN -2.5    O/U39

WHY WATCH?

Right now we’re all but eliminated from PS possibilities, so are the Bengals. They’re the 1st team of a string of 5 games, call it the draft derby, against poor teams. Winning won’t get us into the playoffs, just change our draft position.

In a way I’m an expert at watching poor Bronco’s teams. Being a fan since 1963 does that to you. So, my advice?  Start watching individual matchups and players. I used to look forward to Broncos/Raiders just to watch Art Shell and Rich Jackson bang on each other for 4 quarters.

Spend a few series watching Bolles from the snap. Maybe Marshall on defense? Then swap to different players. Focus on the action away from the ball. Watch DT, is his effort 100% every play? Are our TE’s really that bad? Does Von take plays off? How about Talib. How solid is Gotsis really?

By focusing on the individual for 10+-plays in a row you’ll learn far more about our roster than you can listening to broadcasters or reading the pundits.

Anyway, not much of a GDT I know. I’ll leave it to you guys to flesh it out.

I am not sure if I want to watch two men bang each other like Rick Jason and Art Shell used to do.  But, I will want to see Brock progress a bit to see if he is worthy of signing to another 1-year contract to compete with whoever the next #1 draft pick challenger is. 

Since we want the highest draft spot possible for 2018, let's turn this around and focus on how CIN can work to beat us:

1.  Keep going after our ILB in RB/TE pass coverage - Tyler Kroft and Joe Mixon should get a ton of work.   We can't cover either.

2.  Keep double/triple-teaming Von - until Ray/Barrett, and more importantly, our interior DL, can get pressure, keep him away from Dalton.

3.  Get pressure on Oz by beating our T's & Garcia - stunts and blitzes should focus on keeping our T's and Garcia 1-on-1, they can get beat regalularly

4.  Bracket DT & Sanders - they're our only serious weapons.

5.  Keep exploiting our 32nd-ranked ST unit - that might be harder now that Isiaih McKenzie has finally been benched. 

It's true that CIN's OL is struggling and our pass coverage vs. WR's remains elite, but man, everywhere else, CIN has us beat IMO.

Archived