Gimme a reason as to why Amari Rodgers should make the team?

vegas492

Amari Rodgers. Cut or kept?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Amari Rodgers. Cut or kept?

• Cut the kid. He's flashed nothing.
    • Keep him. He's shown enough.
    • Feed him some of @Norm's Mom's meatloaf and he will be just fine.

Acceptable answers do not include him being a former 3rd round pick.

So...tell me why he stays?

I've seen nothing out of him this preseason or really last year that tells me that he has the skillset to be an NFL player.

He's small.  Not quick.  Not fast.  And apparently not smart enough to run the right routes.  Oh, and he's had the dropsies.

He should be a solid returner.  Yet he fielded a punt within the 5 yard line.

He's fringe NFL talent.  He doesn't have the eyes of Cobb.  There has to be plenty of WR's out there now, and more in a few days that have more upside than this kid.

I agree with you on all points, but he will be kept because Gute isn't ready to admit a mistake. Everybody hates admitting they made a mistake. Men especially hate admitting to a mistake. Ans men in leadership positions even more. Eventually, he will have to though. See Sternberger, Jace. 

I think Rodgers should be cut and added to the practice squad. No one will claim him for all the reasons you listed. Maybe in another year he can learn the route trees. If not then he's gone for good.

Another WR they need to part with is Cobb. I loved prime Cobb, but his 32 year old body is going to break down. Release him now, again I doubt anyone is going to claim a 32 year old receiver, and ask him to stay in shape. If they have a need at the end of the season, they could sign for a playoff run.

Watkins, Lazard, and Winfree can start, with Doubs, Watson, and Toure backing up. Danny Davis on the PS. That gives Rodgers three reliable route runners with some young speedsters coming's off the bench.

One other thought, with cuts coming tomorrow, who would be an addition by subtraction? I vote for TE Tyler Davis. The team would be better without him.

Rich Bisaccia: This is training camp; this is the preseason. We catch everything and return everything; we only get so many chances to evaluate players. 

Vegas 492: Apparently not smart. Should be a solid returner, yet he fielded a punt within the 5-yard line.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah I certainly don't have anything to provide from a football analysis standpoint, but I would have thought Davante's career would have given us all a lesson in patience with WRs who have the drops early in their career.

Yah, I'm going to have to strike down this argument.

Being patient and keeping Adams is not relevant to the case against Amari Rodgers.

Here is why.

Davante showed us athletic ability right away.  He separated.  We saw the vertical leap.  He ran the correct routes.  What the dude had against him early was drops.

Amari hasn't shown anything to make us think or feel that he has the ABILITY to play WR in the league.  There is simply zero separation and zero athletic advantage with Rodgers.

Adams did show ability, and that is why frustration set in.  We saw talent, it was the drops that drove us nuts.  I remember a ton of back shoulder throws to Adams that went incomplete.  Those weren't drops, but you just expected him to get a few of those at some point and time.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah I certainly don't have anything to provide from a football analysis standpoint, but I would have thought Davante's career would have given us all a lesson in patience with WRs who have the drops early in their career.

His problems aren't drops, it's LOFT! The only reason he stays on the team is his drafted position, which would be a bull**** reason. 

Edited by Old Guy

47 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Another WR they need to part with is Cobb.

As I said in an old thread concerning this matter, as much as I agree with this the last thing you want to do is piss off a guy you just gave a ton of money to. 

Cobb is the reason Rodgers reported to camp in 2020. The man is safer than a luxury cruise ship. As for Rodgers I'd give him one more year because Cobb is pretty much taking up an extra roster spot that would likely be his 

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

His problems aren't drops it's LOFT! The only reason he stays on the team is his drafted position, which would be a bull**** reason. 

I disagree, draft position absolutely should factor in. All high draft picks are investments. You can't just bail on an investment because you don't see immediate return, you can only bail once you're sure that the potential cannot be reached. It seems highly unlikely that the NFL scouting community whiffed that bad on his draft profile (he was a consensus mid round pick). The only instance I can think of that happening was Jachai Polite, who's draft stock plummeted after the combine performance and interviews. He was drafted a few rounds later than his original projection and cut that summer. 

I certainly won't disagree with anyone's assessment of Rodgers play. I'm just saying that every player is drafted with the expectation that it will take time for them to reach their potential. He's played in 1.5 training camps and one season, there's still time to right the ship.

Edited by pgwingman
Norm liked post, so I assumed it made no sense (reworded)
  • Like 3

Using a "decision" to field a punt in a preseason game against him is absolutely silly. That should be as stricken from the list of reasons as his draft slot was.

Reasons to keep him (if true):

*He's the best option as a returner by a significant margin

*He's making strides in his route tree week to week

*He changed his body significantly over one season to (likely) appease the staff at their direction

*This is his first real off-season and he's able to focus more on his assignments after getting the book thrown at him as a rookie

I wouldn't cut ties with him yet. I viewed him as an extremely coachable player coming out. Kinda like a Wes Welker type that will age like wine in the NFL.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I disagree, draft position absolutely should factor in. All high draft picks are investments. You can't just bail on an investment because you don't see immediate return, you can only bail once you're sure that the potential cannot be reached. It seems highly unlikely that the NFL scouting community whiffed that bad on his draft profile (he was a consensus mid round pick). The only instance I can think of that happening was Jachai Polite, who's draft stock plummeted after the combine performance and interviews. He was drafted a few rounds later than his original projection and cut that summer. 

I certainly won't disagree with anyone's assessment of Rodgers play. I'm just saying that every player is drafted with the expectation that it will take time for them to reach their potential. He's played in 1.5 training camps and one season, there's still time to right the ship.

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.

Told yah in the beginning, draft status is not a reason to be brought up in so far as keeping Rodgers.

Tell me something outside of that that should give any of us hope that he could be a legit NFL receiver.  Because I haven't seen flashes of anything to make me believe that he's worth the time and investment over a guy like say...Toure.

Ive softend on the pro winfree vs amari. Thought winfree would be doing some gunner work and the sort.

Like AG said. Cut em both who cares. I just dont want to give up 1 or 4 40 yard returns every game.

Just wish if we were keeping a punt return only guy he'd actually be good at the job, not just passable.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.

Told yah in the beginning, draft status is not a reason to be brought up in so far as keeping Rodgers.

You told me I couldn't, but I did anyways. I break the rules, it's just part of my bad boy nature.

But draft status aside, you draft a guy like Rodgers with a projection in mind. A vision of what he can become. You don't just abandon him when he doesn't hit that projection in the first 18 months.

Again, I really don't disagree with your assessment of Rodgers. But to argue that his upside is all gone just because he doesn't reach it in his second training camp is jumping the gun.

• Like 4

He was electric at Clemson, and he is still the 5th youngest member of the roster.  I feel like it will come down to roster management.  Do you want to keep Slayton and Heflin? Or Taylor and Goodson?  Or Caleb Jones and Jake Hanson?  Then you are probably going to have to take away that 6th WR spot.  

Then we also have to look at who is returning kicks and punts.  So far, it looks like Amrai is the clear favorite there.  So that gives him a leg up.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Using a "decision" to field a punt in a preseason game against him is absolutely silly.

Yeah do people really know what the coaching staff is telling these guys for preseason? It could be personally reasonable that Bisaccia has instructed his special teams to try to return anything they possibly could so they can gather tape. I keep seeing that point against him and its so stupid. 

The reason you keep Amari right now is strictly special teams related. Unless the Packers suddenly fall into a great PR/KR returner who can also be a core special teamer on the KO/Punt units as well you have to keep him. He isn't flashy but unless they find someone to replace his ST value he has a unique body and build to play on almost all the units. Offense is set. If Amari or anyone on the deph chart at that 6-7 WR position are playing major minutes on offense something horrible has happened and you can pretty much write off the season anyway. 

• Like 2