Gimme a reason as to why Amari Rodgers should make the team?

vegas492

Amari Rodgers. Cut or kept?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Amari Rodgers. Cut or kept?

• Cut the kid. He's flashed nothing.
    • Keep him. He's shown enough.
    • Feed him some of @Norm's Mom's meatloaf and he will be just fine.

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

There is more evidence that he screws things up than gets them right, both as a returner and a WR. I'll flip that around on you and ask if you see every day or practice? I know the answer so don't bother. 

When your QB calls you out, on numerous occasions, it's a problem. Did you not watch the disaster that Amari was as a returner last year? Then how incompetent he looked this past game, and the conclusion is pretty easy to draw. 

BTW, the way you replace a bad habit with a good one if repetition of the good habit, not reinforcing the bad habit. That really isn't some profound statement. Most people with an IQ of room temperature or higher understand that. Also, changing a bad habit is not easy, otherwise we'd have no fat people in the world. In conclusion, the consistent application of the GOOD habit helps one make that become the norm with the bad habit minimalized or gone. It's called positive reinforcement. 

Regarding the bolded....Look, I'm on the anti-Amari train right now.  

But...I also want to be fair. 

Did Rodgers ever call him out specifically?  I do not recall that he did, or did not.  I think I would have remember it if he had.

Calling him a disaster as a returner, I also feel is slighting him.  I remember him being not a dumpster fire during the regular season.  Meaning he caught the ball and got a couple of yards.  Right up until the time he dropped a punt towards the end of the season.  I think he had one really, really bad play that we all tend to remember.

Now we get to these pre-season games.   He isn't God-awful.  He just doesn't stand out to me as someone who actually has upside.  Maybe he gets a few routes down, maybe he gets his assignments down, but he's still got no height, no real quickness or acceleration, and no real speed.  I mean, he's really gotta know that playbook inside and out, like a QB, if he is ever going to be player.  He's just not skilled enough to not have full mastery of the plays, defenses and routes to survive.

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Isn't that an extremely important part of the equation? If he's at the 20 and doesn't field it and they down it at the 5, that is an issue. So, without that context we don't know who to blame for those choices. If you are a coach yelling at a guy for not fielding a punt inside the 10, that is dumb. Especially, I guy who has struggled with his decisions and cleanly handling punts in his rookie year. 

Given what was said from reporters when Amari got yelled at, I'm inclined to believe that those punts were not inside the 5 or 10.  Just normal punt returner stuff.

But...I do not know that for sure.  Just assuming it was a drill and he wasn't catching them.

Which would explain why he was dialed in to make those catches.  The one inside the 5, which was a long punt, and the other even longer punt.  It was comical watching him track that thing.  Which means, it very well could be that the plan was to return all punts to see what they had on that unit.

2 hours ago, St Vince said:

As I said in an old thread concerning this matter, as much as I agree with this the last thing you want to do is piss off a guy you just gave a ton of money to. 

Cobb is the reason Rodgers reported to camp in 2020. The man is safer than a luxury cruise ship. As for Rodgers I'd give him one more year because Cobb is pretty much taking up an extra roster spot that would likely be his 

OK, one more year for Rodgers, but on the practice squad. And I know the whole thing about Cobb, but who is running the team anyway?

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Amari Rodgers game is more attractive the more you watch the tape.

Winfree's first reception, the blitz beater over the middle, Amari is the one who sets the screen. 

The 8 yard pitch to the right, Amari does a good job sealing the DE inside. If Tyler Davis was that competent of a blocker, that's a 20 yard run. 

He feels like the guy who is going to take pride in the little things and a guy you can trust to max effort every snap. 

I dunno, I just see a guy who I think will have a long, but not spectacular, NFL career. 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He feels like the guy who is going to take pride in the little things and a guy you can trust to max effort every snap. 

I dunno, I just see a guy who I think will have a long, but not spectacular, NFL career. 

I'll bet you your choice of $50 Schutte Bucks, or $51 Stanley Nickels that Amari Rodgers will never have more than 475 yards receiving in an NFL season.

And I hope I pay up.  I honestly do.  I've given up on him being good.  Serviceable is just fine.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

OK, one more year for Rodgers, but on the practice squad. And I know the whole thing about Cobb, but who is running the team anyway?

Practice squad would mean he's cut. The Packers aren't cutting him.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'd be fine with that ... Practice squad and then one more chance next year to prove his worth.  He might get claimed by someone, but I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. 

I could see a change of scenery type trade at the end of camp. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

LOL!

You still haven't told me that he has any redeemable NFL WR qualities that would necessitate hanging onto him for any longer.

Two of the more impressive plays from preseason have come from Amari, the 50-yard KO return and his 22-yard TD catch. 

He has some Ty Montgomery qualities to him which is a very good thing. In time he will be a valuable piece to the offense, just might not be this season. Crazy how many people are completely missing the boat on this guy.  

4 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Watkins, Lazard, and Winfree can start, with Doubs, Watson, and Toure backing up. Danny Davis on the PS. That gives Rodgers three reliable route runners with some young speedsters coming's off the bench.

lol wut?   Winfree has shown about as much as Rodgers this preseason.  He's duking it out for that final spot if anything.    

And starting him over Doubs??  

db7.gif

30 minutes ago, R T said:

Two of the more impressive plays from preseason have come from Amari, the 50-yard KO return and his 22-yard TD catch. 

He has some Ty Montgomery qualities to him which is a very good thing. In time he will be a valuable piece to the offense, just might not be this season. Crazy how many people are completely missing the boat on this guy.  

Amari Rodgers just took a handoff from Aaron Rodgers from the backfield, like a RB. Amari Rodgers could have a Swiss Army knife roll in this offense. Could be important if #Packers only keep two RBs.

The more things you can do...

24 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

lol wut?   Winfree has shown about as much as Rodgers this preseason.  He's duking it out for that final spot if anything.    

And starting him over Doubs??  

db7.gif

No doubt Watson and Doubs have more talent, but Rodgers likes reliability. Winfree runs good routes and is where he should be when he should be. Amari not so much. Admittedly, Winfree is just a place holder until Watson and Doubs gain Rodger's trust. 

4 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Why would I want Amari Rodgers taking a rushing snap away from Jones or Dillon?

Somehow I don’t think that terrifies an opposing defense. 

You wouldn't. But sometimes guys get hurt. If Dillon goes down, Jones isn't the kind of guy you want to turn into a workhorse. Plus, being a WR, Am Rod does offer some possibilities in the passing game from the RB position. I don't think he'll ever be a big star, but he might be decent as a jack of all trades kind of guy.