Raiders to release Kenyan Drake

NYRaider

Just now, Darbsk said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/ranking-all-32-rb1s-heading-into-2022-christian-mccaffrey-lands-at-no-10

For the record, I think that Jacobs is ranked far, far too low here and I’d have him around the top 15 for sure, however the above statement doesn’t really make sense to me, I agree that most elite RBs are drafted in the top two rounds but we’re talking about the first round only.

I would have considered Jacobs a very good pick in the second but poor value in the first. That is basically my point. If you’re drafting in the first he has to be a Henry or a Taylor. Lots of those guys, in fact the majority were second round or lower and that is my whole point. Jacobs I feel is a good player, not great but you shouldn’t be drafting good RBs in the first, that is a second or third round type pick IMO.

That may be the worst list that I have ever seen, lol. 

We took him 24th in a year we had 3 1sts and a 2nd round pick, when you're stacked with picks you can afford to draft your guy even if it isn't a great "positional value." He's literally the best player that Gruden and Mayock drafted in the first round. If we took him with the pick that ended up being Mullen instead would it change anything?

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We took him 24th in a year we had 3 1sts and a 2nd round pick, when you're stacked with picks you can afford to draft your guy even if it isn't a great "positional value." He's literally the best player that Gruden and Mayock drafted in the first round. If we took him with the pick that ended up being Mullen instead would it change anything?

So because we wasted the other picks it’s OK? He may have been the best of the bunch of our picks but he was still over drafted IMO.

As I said, I don’t agree with his rating on that list at all, but it shows a lot of top RBs are not drafted in the first round and guys who are consensus first round picks at the time of their draft like McCaffrey, Taylor, Elliott, Henry are or were multiple Pro Bowlers or All Pro types. Obviously we differ slightly but if I’m taking a RB, an OG or a SS in the first I want an elite player at his position. Any less and the value just isn’t great for me. Jacobs is good, just not worth the first, hence we’re not taking up his 5th year option.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Sorry but I do not agree with this.  Does not matter how many picks you have you have to look at each individual pick by itself and there has to be value.  Gruden and Mayock always went for their guy instead of looking to see if the value was there.  That is why we had so many over-drafted player.  All of Grudens first round picks were taken to early and the only one that has worked out is Miller.  That drafting style has produce a hit rate of under 15%.  Now some players have played good like Jacobs but he has not lived up to his draft position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He was literally the only player on the team that could consistently produce at the end of last season, Carr faded big time.

Carr stepped up end his mobility in the pocket bigggg time last few games of season. 
Hunters catch against indy, Multiple in OT and final drive against chargers come to mind instantly. 

Carrs numbers may have dropped, but I think its because we found an effective run game. So we didnt rely on him as much. 
Ive never seen Carr manipulate the pocket better than he did down the stretch. 

Really hope he continues to improve here. As we all know he will need it this season

19 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Sorry but I do not agree with this.  Does not matter how many picks you have you have to look at each individual pick by itself and there has to be value.  Gruden and Mayock always went for their guy instead of looking to see if the value was there.  That is why we had so many over-drafted player.  All of Grudens first round picks were taken to early and the only one that has worked out is Miller.  That drafting style has produce a hit rate of under 15%.  Now some players have played good like Jacobs but he has not lived up to his draft position.

He has been one of the most productive players in the NFL though.

31 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

So because we wasted the other picks it’s OK? He may have been the best of the bunch of our picks but he was still over drafted IMO.

As I said, I don’t agree with his rating on that list at all, but it shows a lot of top RBs are not drafted in the first round and guys who are consensus first round picks at the time of their draft like McCaffrey, Taylor, Elliott, Henry are or were multiple Pro Bowlers or All Pro types. Obviously we differ slightly but if I’m taking a RB, an OG or a SS in the first I want an elite player at his position. Any less and the value just isn’t great for me. Jacobs is good, just not worth the first, hence we’re not taking up his 5th year option.

I never said that but he's one of the previous regime's few picks that actually provided any type of value at all. 

Jacobs was slightly over drafted but just barely, I mean he has been one of the most productive RB's in the league during every year of his career. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Carr stepped up end his mobility in the pocket bigggg time last few games of season. 
Hunters catch against indy, Multiple in OT and final drive against chargers come to mind instantly. 

Carrs numbers may have dropped, but I think its because we found an effective run game. So we didnt rely on him as much. 
Ive never seen Carr manipulate the pocket better than he did down the stretch. 

Really hope he continues to improve here. As we all know he will need it this season

I'm most excited to see how Carr plays with a top tier play caller instead of Olson.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm most excited to see how Carr plays with a top tier play caller instead of Olson.

I'm so conflicted. Part of me is, but the other part of me worries if McDaniels will be forced to turn him into the check down king again, because of a lack of time he'll have. I mean on one hand, Brady was super successful doing a form of that. So it's not like you can't be elite with your main weapons being a TE and slot guy running 5-10 yard routes a lot of the time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I never said that but he's one of the previous regime's few picks that actually provided any type of value at all. 

Jacobs was slightly over drafted but just barely, I mean he has been one of the most productive RB's in the league during every year of his career. 

But that is very similar to what you said, apologies if I misunderstood: 

We took him 24th in a year we had 3 1sts and a 2nd round pick, when you're stacked with picks you can afford to draft your guy even if it isn't a great "positional value." 

I don’t agree that we can afford to overdraft a guy we want just because we have a number of picks nor that an average pick becomes better. Now, I’m not disagreeing that he’s been quite effective, his bulk stats are OK and he did carry the offence to some degree at the end of the season. He looked good his rookie but he’s not a top RB.

I guess we’ll just agree to disagree, average pick to me and he’s not worth a first round pick though he’s much better than some think.

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

But that is very similar to what you said, apologies if I misunderstood: 

We took him 24th in a year we had 3 1sts and a 2nd round pick, when you're stacked with picks you can afford to draft your guy even if it isn't a great "positional value." 

I don’t agree that we can afford to overdraft a guy we want just because we have a number of picks nor that an average pick becomes better. Now, I’m not disagreeing that he’s been quite effective, his bulk stats are OK and he did carry the offence to some degree at the end of the season. He looked good his rookie but he’s not a top RB.

I guess we’ll just agree to disagree, average pick to me and he’s not worth a first round pick though he’s much better than some think.

You're acting like he was a 5th round level player that we took in the 1st. We took him at the back end of the 1st and at worst he should've went in the early 2nd. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You're acting like he was a 5th round level player that we took in the 1st. We took him at the back end of the 1st and at worst he should've went in the early 2nd. 

No I am not 😄, I’ve said he’s a good player who helped carry the team to the playoffs! 90% of 5th rounders don’t make any impact at all, most don’t make the team for more than two years.

He’s a 2nd or 3rd round quality RB. You draft that type of player in the second or third round if you’re a quality drafting team. As you rightly pointed out a few posts ago, a lot of the best NFL running backs are first and second rounders, if you take him in the first he has to be a top 5 to 10 RB. Simples.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

No I am not 😄, I’ve said he’s a good player who helped carry the team to the playoffs! 90% of 5th rounders don’t make any impact at all, most don’t make the team for more than two years.

He’s a 2nd or 3rd round quality RB. You draft that type of player in the second or third round if you’re a quality drafting team. As you rightly pointed out a few posts ago, a lot of the best NFL running backs are first and second rounders, if you take him in the first he has to be a top 5 to 10 RB. Simples.

How many 3rd round RB's have produced at a similar level to Jacobs during his career outside of Montgomery?

5 hours ago, NickButera said:

I'm so conflicted. Part of me is, but the other part of me worries if McDaniels will be forced to turn him into the check down king again, because of a lack of time he'll have. I mean on one hand, Brady was super successful doing a form of that. So it's not like you can't be elite with your main weapons being a TE and slot guy running 5-10 yard routes a lot of the time. 

If your OC / HC / play caller and QB are not on the same page you will not be successful. 
The nfl is so different from other sports, the best athletes dont always win. You need a team all on the same page.

I dont think BB or Tom is the goat, without each other. It takes two (and more) to take the team work. 
As soon as there is doubt in one, I think others sense it. 

If JMD asks DC to be similar to what he asked newton, we are doomed. 
But i truly think mcdaniels will play to the strength of his team. 
Gruden said numerous times, he wanted to be a ground and pound team. We were built to throw at the time, and it was a mess. 

If you cannot gameplan around your players you will fail. 
If you have a coach asking you to do things youve never done you will fail. 

If JMD and Ziegler want a running QB, I agree, Carr needs to go. 
If your QB cannot fit what you want him to do, you need to move on. 

I think Carr, is on the fringe of being a top pocket passer. If JMD thinks that and can deliver a system catered to a pocket passer, lets go. 
If JMD wants to win another way, I wont say its wrong or right, but carr probably isnt the choice. 

It sounds dumb, but if you put JJ watt at Safety he struggles. 
Its amplified at qb, if JMD is asking Carr to do something we all know he struggles at it wont work out.

But Carr has shown he can compete in this league. 
I think JMD / Ziegler, and what 6 other OC and HCs agree, Carr can play. But if its not right for their system, its not right

Edited by BackinBlack

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He has been one of the most productive players in the NFL though.

He has been productive and I do not discount what he has meant to the team.  You just have to factor in positional importance.  he should have gone in the mid 2nd at the earliest.

• Like 1