McCrary-Ball

M. Johnson

Hollman

Gutierrez

Atkins

Hawkins

Trade Sermon for a pick and DFF for a pick

Explanation:

Kyle has shown a willingness to rifle through RBs and in his scheme you can't have enough. I dont see a scenario where Mason clears waivers at this point, but I also don't see this team cutting Sermon and admitting they made a mistake. The answer then becomes to trade Sermon for whatever they can get. Turner makes the team for his ST prowess. Hudson has been good and in that room good makes this roster. They want 3 TE's and Dwelley has not ever shown an ability to be a strong blocker. Hudson actually brings some athleticism to the room as well. At O Line We know what we are looking at with the exception of keeping Poe. Poe wont clear waivers imo and the team loves him, as do I. I see him as a top end starter for a long time. He moves like Guy McIntyre did in the Walsh era. 

On defense I see them keeping 10 lineman. They love to rotate and they need the bodies. Hyder was a tough choice for me, but his ability to move around and his relationship with Kocurek gets him on the roster. LB is set with Burks there for ST. At CB, I see Knight making it because he can move to S if need be. Knight becomes the new Dontae Johnson. I also think that Gipson makes this team because he is talented enough to beat the others who just are not good. 

A bit on my P Squad, TCF needs time and it only makes sense for him to get that here. The same applies for Hollman, Zakelj and Hawkins. McCray-Ball may not make it through waivers, but I hope they can hold onto he and Robinson. I don't think Sutherland is good, but it seems like the most 49ers thing to do ever.

Here’s my wild shot in the dark: 

QB- Lance - Purdy - Sudfeld
RB- Mitchell - Sermon - Davis-Price - Hasty
FB-  Juszczyk

(8)

WR- Samuel - Aiyuk - Gray - McCloud - Jennings
TE- Kittle - Woerner - Dwelley

(16)

T- Williams - McGlinchey - McKivitz
G- Banks - Burford - Poe - Moore
C- Brendel - Brunskill 

(25)

DE- Bosa - Jackson - Ebukam - Turay - Omenihu - Hyder Jr. - Willis
DT- Armstead - Kinlaw - Givens 

(35)

LB- Warner - Greenlaw - Al-Shaair - Burks - Flannigan-Fowles 

(40)

CB- C. Ward - Moseley - Womack - Thomas - Lenoir - Johnson
S- J. Ward - Hufanga - Odum - Moore

(50)

LS- Pepper
P- Wishnowsky
K- Gould

(53)

PS
Castro-Fields
Zakelj 
Mason
Knight
Hawkins
Martin
McCrary-Ball
Robinson
Atkins
West
Skule 
Kroft 
Gipson
Turner
Wilson Jr. 
Ridgeway

Edited by GW21

QB - Lance, Purdy, Sudfeld (3)

RB - Mitchell, Wilson, TDP, Juice,  Sermon (5) 

WR - Deebo, Aiyuk, Ray Ray, Gray, Jennings, Turner (6)

TE - Kittle, Woerner, Ross Dwelley (3 - Had Hudson as the #3 here until i was 80% done with the practice squad, then flipped it to Dwelley) 

OL - Trent, McKivitz, Brunskill, Brendel, Poe, Banks, Burford, McG (8)

DL - Kinlaw, Bosa, AA, Omenihu, Givens, Hyder, Jackson, Willis, Ridgeway, Ebukam (10)

LB  - Warner, Al-Shaair, Greenlaw, Burks, DFF (5)

CB - Womack, C ward, Moseley, Thomas, Lenoir, Johnson (6) 

S - Jimmie Ward, Hufanga, T Moore, Odum (4)

SP - Gould, Wish, Pepper (3) 

**PUP - JV

PS - 

1. Jaylon Moore
  2. Jordan Mason
  3. Tariq Castro Fields
  4. Marcelino Mcrary-Ball
  5. Tashaun Gipson (1)
  6. Willie Snead (2)
  7. Tay Martin
  8. Nick Zakelj
  9. Akeem Spence (3)
  10. Kevin Atkins
  11. Qwuantrezz Knight
  12. Dohnovan West
  13. Taylor Hawkins
  14. Tanner Hudson (4) 
  15. Jordan Mills (5)
  16. Kemoko Turay (6) 

(Numbers in parenthesis is the count for guys on the PS who have over 2 accrued seasons, of which you can have no more than 6 on the PS)

No Hasty because even though I would keep him on over Sermon, I think the team may give Sermon the spot.  I think Mitchell, TDP, Wilson are pretty much locked in as having the first three spots. Hasty is a guy I'd project to get picked up by someone else (that's why there is not PS), but Mason can make it through the to the practice squad. The one thing that may change this is if we can actually get some trade value for Sermon. Sermon + 6th for a 5th? Maybe we do that and just keep Hasty. 

I didn't like cutting Turay. I had him on the roster until the 16th practice squad spot, and then I realized how small we were on the defensive front. I feel like we need to have a guy who can hold up on the interior. Ridgeway isn't that guy either, but at least he can pretend to be that guy. 

Sucks to cut Moore, but he's been in the dog house forever and I don't think that anyone can look at his spot on the roster right and think it's locked in. I mean, who are you cutting? Shanny has already said that Mckivitz is the swing tackle, McG / Trent / Brendel / Burford / Banks / Brunskill (Holy B's, batman!) should be pretty much locks, and I kind of feel like Poe at this point has the inside track at the 8th spot over Moore? 

I think DFF is on the roster for familiarity and special teams. I think we will carry 5 and I think Mcrary Ball can get through the PS. 

Yes...I kept the barnacle. I think the fact that he can work inside or outside, and play safety is going to keep him on as basically DB #10. 

I had Dwelley off the roster for a while, but he and Hudson are ostensibly the same player and Dwelley is kind of cross trained as a backup FB, so I think that would give him the inside track over Hudson. 

Lombardi seems to think that Turner is in a pretty good spot to make the roster, so I'm just going to trust him here. Personally? I think I'd go with Marcus Johnson, but that's just me. 

I feel like everything else is pretty straightforward. There may be another player or two that goes on PUP or IR in order to stash them and keep someone we would otherwise lose.  I think the most likely place there would be running back. i could also see us do that with Jaylon Moore instead of risk losing him after cut down. 

4 hours ago, GW21 said:

PS
Castro-Fields
Zakelj 
Mason
Knight
Hawkins
Martin
McCrary-Ball
Robinson
Atkins
West
Skule 
Kroft 
Gipson
Turner
Wilson Jr
Ridgeway

The fact that he's not playing in the games but is practicing in full really feels like to me that his spot on the roster is solid. If it weren't, I don't know why they aren't playing him

QB - Lance, Sudfeld

RB - Mitchell, Wilson, Davis-Price, Hasty

FB - Juszczyk

TE - Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner

WR - Deebo, Aiyuk, Gray, Jennings, McCloud

OT - Williams, McGlinchey, McKivitz

OG - Burford, Banks, Poe, J. Moore

C - Brendel, Brunskill

DE - Bosa, Jackson, Ebukam, Turay, Omenihu

DI - Armstead, Kinlaw, Givens, Ridgeway, Hyder

LB - Warner, Greenlaw, Al-Shaair, Flanagan-Fowles, Burks

CB - C. Ward, Moseley, Womack, Lenoir, D. Johnson

S - J. Ward, Hufanga, T. Moore, Odom

ST - Gould, Wishnowsky, Pepper

PS 

1: QB - Nate Purdy

2: RB - Jordan Mason

3: WR - Malik Turner (1)

4: WR - Marcus Johnson (2)

5: WR - Tay Martin

6: OL - Nicholas Zakelj

7: OL - Jordan Mills (3)

8: DE - Alex Barrett (4)

9: DE - Jordon Willis (5)

10: DL - Kevin Atkins

11: LB - Marcelino McCreary-Ball

12: CB - Tariq Castro-Fields

13: CB - Ambry Thomas

14: CB - Quantrezz Knight

15: S - Tashaun Gipson (6)

Edited by JIllg
Added Practice Squad

8 hours ago, Forge said:

The fact that he's not playing in the games but is practicing in full really feels like to me that his spot on the roster is solid. If it weren't, I don't know why they aren't playing him

I just can’t see us carrying 5 RBs. Maybe we do see Sermon traded, but I have my doubts that we outright cut a guy we just spent what amounts to a third round pick and two fourth rounders on. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I just can’t see us carrying 5 RBs. Maybe we do see Sermon traded, but I have my doubts that we outright cut a guy we just spent what amounts to a third round pick and two fourth rounders on. 

Oh, I don't think we will carry 5 RBs (well, 5 traditional RBs...obviously including Juice we will have 5). I just think the fact that he's not playing means that his roster spot is already largely safe and that he's well ahead of guys like Sermon / Hasty  in the pecking order.  I'd get if Wilson was hurt and wasn't playing, but as far as I know, he's practicing in full and just not playing. He's getting starter like treatment from the staff by them doing that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forge said:

QB - Lance, Purdy, Sudfeld (3)

RB - Mitchell, Wilson, TDP, Juice,  Sermon (5) 

WR - Deebo, Aiyuk, Ray Ray, Gray, Jennings, Turner (6)

TE - Kittle, Woerner, Ross Dwelley (3 - Had Hudson as the #3 here until i was 80% done with the practice squad, then flipped it to Dwelley) 

OL - Trent, McKivitz, Brunskill, Brendel, Poe, Banks, Burford, McG (8)

DL - Kinlaw, Bosa, AA, Omenihu, Givens, Hyder, Jackson, Willis, Ridgeway, Ebukam (10)

LB  - Warner, Al-Shaair, Greenlaw, Burks, DFF (5)

CB - Womack, C ward, Moseley, Thomas, Lenoir, Johnson (6) 

S - Jimmie Ward, Hufanga, T Moore, Odum (4)

SP - Gould, Wish, Pepper (3) 

**PUP - JV

PS - 

1. Jaylon Moore
  2. Jordan Mason
  3. Tariq Castro Fields
  4. Marcelino Mcrary-Ball
  5. Tashaun Gipson (1)
  6. Willie Snead (2)
  7. Tay Martin
  8. Nick Zakelj
  9. Akeem Spence (3)
  10. Kevin Atkins
  11. Qwuantrezz Knight
  12. Dohnovan West
  13. Taylor Hawkins
  14. Tanner Hudson (4) 
  15. Jordan Mills (5)
  16. Kemoko Turay (6) 

(Numbers in parenthesis is the count for guys on the PS who have over 2 accrued seasons, of which you can have no more than 6 on the PS)

No Hasty because even though I would keep him on over Sermon, I think the team may give Sermon the spot.  I think Mitchell, TDP, Wilson are pretty much locked in as having the first three spots. Hasty is a guy I'd project to get picked up by someone else (that's why there is not PS), but Mason can make it through the to the practice squad. The one thing that may change this is if we can actually get some trade value for Sermon. Sermon + 6th for a 5th? Maybe we do that and just keep Hasty. 

I didn't like cutting Turay. I had him on the roster until the 16th practice squad spot, and then I realized how small we were on the defensive front. I feel like we need to have a guy who can hold up on the interior. Ridgeway isn't that guy either, but at least he can pretend to be that guy. 

Sucks to cut Moore, but he's been in the dog house forever and I don't think that anyone can look at his spot on the roster right and think it's locked in. I mean, who are you cutting? Shanny has already said that Mckivitz is the swing tackle, McG / Trent / Brendel / Burford / Banks / Brunskill (Holy B's, batman!) should be pretty much locks, and I kind of feel like Poe at this point has the inside track at the 8th spot over Moore? 

I think DFF is on the roster for familiarity and special teams. I think we will carry 5 and I think Mcrary Ball can get through the PS. 

Yes...I kept the barnacle. I think the fact that he can work inside or outside, and play safety is going to keep him on as basically DB #10. 

I had Dwelley off the roster for a while, but he and Hudson are ostensibly the same player and Dwelley is kind of cross trained as a backup FB, so I think that would give him the inside track over Hudson. 

Lombardi seems to think that Turner is in a pretty good spot to make the roster, so I'm just going to trust him here. Personally? I think I'd go with Marcus Johnson, but that's just me. 

I feel like everything else is pretty straightforward. There may be another player or two that goes on PUP or IR in order to stash them and keep someone we would otherwise lose.  I think the most likely place there would be running back. i could also see us do that with Jaylon Moore instead of risk losing him after cut down. 

I just cant move off of the team not cutting a RB. Only way they move Sermon is via trade I believe. Which would coincide with the amount of work he has received in the preseason to possibly showcase him? I also had Turay as the last guy essentially on my roster. I actually noticed I didn't have him and I couldn't see a way to keep him off. You could be dead on for Dwelley as well, especially if they think they can P Squad Hudson, which they likely can.

Most people's 53's seem to be similar. I think people differ mostly on the 3rd & 4th RB, 3rd TE, 10th DL & 5th LB

I have Mason/Hasty (replaces Wilson/Sermon), Kroft (replaces Dwelley), Turray (replaces Hyder) & McRary-Ball or Olubi (replaces DFF).

Originally had Gemmel as the 5th LB but saw he got waived. 

I expect at least 2-3 players we release to get claimed, or go unclaimed but sign with other teams before week 1. 

Overall its a strong roster. Besides the QB position which will likely be up and down, OL & S seem to be the bigger issues. Hopefully young players like Banks, Burford & Hufanga can develop well this season 

28 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Most people's 53's seem to be similar. I think people differ mostly on the 3rd & 4th RB, 3rd TE, 10th DL & 5th LB

I have Mason/Hasty (replaces Wilson/Sermon), Kroft (replaces Dwelley), Turray (replaces Hyder) & McRary-Ball or Olubi (replaces DFF).

Originally had Gemmel as the 5th LB but saw he got waived. 

I expect at least 2-3 players we release to get claimed, or go unclaimed but sign with other teams before week 1. 

Overall its a strong roster. Besides the QB position which will likely be up and down, OL & S seem to be the bigger issues. Hopefully young players like Banks, Burford & Hufanga can develop well this season 

I also have a tough time believing that we aren't able to get a trade for at least one person on the roster that we may cut. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Starting to wonder if McG opens up PUP. I don't think the injury is great. 

If I'm not mistaken, he would have to make the initial 53-man roster and then be placed on IR, forcing him to miss a minimum of 6 games. He cannot be placed on PUP since he has already practiced this year.

Just now, struby3 said:

If I'm not mistaken, he would have to make the initial 53-man roster and then be placed on IR, forcing him to miss a minimum of 6 games. He cannot be placed on PUP since he has already practiced this year.

Oh no, you're right. Forgot about that. 

• Like 1

He doesn't have the team carrying 3 QBs. 

Has Hasty making it over Sermon. 

Has the team keeping 4 tight ends (Kroft) and 9 offensive linemen. The latter is the big one that we have mentioned a few times because if Poe has forced his way on to the roster, you have to cut Jaylon Moore or find a way to keep 9. MM did it by cutting the 6th receiver and the third QB. 

We've talked a little out the DL talent - I had cut Turay as my last man out while others cut Willis. MM goes another route and has Hyder as the man out.