Preseason Week 3 vs 49ers GDT

lumberjackchris

3-0 preseason is nice to have, given the expectations for this team this season.

Still doesn't mean this team isn't going 3-14, but it DOES mean a guy like Stroud or Young will have a very good team at their disposal when they get here.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

3-0 preseason is nice to have, given the expectations for this team this season.

Still doesn't mean this team isn't going 3-14, but it DOES mean a guy like Stroud or Young will have a very good team at their disposal when they get here.

Ws are always welcomed but I know what you mean, there’s no correlation between being undefeated in preseason and having a good year. 

I do expect about 5 wins this season. We should be in that 5-10 range which might keep us from a QB. 

still if we can get pick 5 and the browns give us pick 12 or so, we will be able to address some more of our needs and if a QB isn’t there for the taking then we give mills a 3rd year. 

I could see us going with a tackle and a d linemen in round 1 next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Ws are always welcomed but I know what you mean, there’s no correlation between being undefeated in preseason and having a good year. 

The 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason... Not saying this team is that bad, just a frame of reference. I'm actually very encouraged by how this defense looks, it's going to be much better than people outside of the team expect.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I do expect about 5 wins this season. We should be in that 5-10 range which might keep us from a QB. 

Luckily, this is a rather deep QB draft - Young and Stroud are the headliners, but Will Levis is probably top 10 bound as well. After that, you have guys like Hendon Hooker, Anthony Richardson, Tyler Van Dyke, Spencer Rattler and Phil Jurkovic - guys who are flirting with top 32 status, and could jump up with a strong showing.

Odds are - there are guys like Rattler and Sam Howell in this group, highly touted QBs who saw their stock tank. But there are also guys like Kenny Pickett out there, late risers who will jump up the ranking list.

My bet is Richardson - the Florida QB who won't be rotating with Emory Jones this season - will play like his athleticism dictates and vaults to 1.1 before the end of the year. He's very comparable to Josh Allen, oodles of athleticism and arm talent to tap into.

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I could see us going with a tackle and a d linemen in round 1 next year. 

Picking up a T to play opposite Tytus Howard (who should be the starting LT next season, given how he played last season) makes Laremy Tunsil somewhat expendable. That's $18.5m off the books and a valuable trade chit to a team desperate for OL help (Dallas is probably looking for life after Tyron Smith - his injury is probably one that will doom his career). So, it's worth looking into. Will Anderson Jr is the BPA next draft, and he'd be a great lynchpin to build the front seven around - he'll have two foundational guys providing support in Stingley and Pitre, so there's a lot to like there.

I'd also put in a view to WR, simply because Jaxon Smith-Njigba is a superstar in the making, a guy who will have a Jamarr Chase/Justin Jefferson like impact. He's a day 1 stud, and he opens up the field for the rest of the WRs. I like Nico Collins, I like John Metchie, I like Brandin Cooks - but Smith-Njigba is an alpha WR, and whoever is playing QB needs that guy.

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

The 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason... Not saying this team is that bad, just a frame of reference. I'm actually very encouraged by how this defense looks, it's going to be much better than people outside of the team expect.

Luckily, this is a rather deep QB draft - Young and Stroud are the headliners, but Will Levis is probably top 10 bound as well. After that, you have guys like Hendon Hooker, Anthony Richardson, Tyler Van Dyke, Spencer Rattler and Phil Jurkovic - guys who are flirting with top 32 status, and could jump up with a strong showing.

Odds are - there are guys like Rattler and Sam Howell in this group, highly touted QBs who saw their stock tank. But there are also guys like Kenny Pickett out there, late risers who will jump up the ranking list.

My bet is Richardson - the Florida QB who won't be rotating with Emory Jones this season - will play like his athleticism dictates and vaults to 1.1 before the end of the year. He's very comparable to Josh Allen, oodles of athleticism and arm talent to tap into.

Picking up a T to play opposite Tytus Howard (who should be the starting LT next season, given how he played last season) makes Laremy Tunsil somewhat expendable. That's $18.5m off the books and a valuable trade chit to a team desperate for OL help (Dallas is probably looking for life after Tyron Smith - his injury is probably one that will doom his career). So, it's worth looking into. Will Anderson Jr is the BPA next draft, and he'd be a great lynchpin to build the front seven around - he'll have two foundational guys providing support in Stingley and Pitre, so there's a lot to like there.

I'd also put in a view to WR, simply because Jaxon Smith-Njigba is a superstar in the making, a guy who will have a Jamarr Chase/Justin Jefferson like impact. He's a day 1 stud, and he opens up the field for the rest of the WRs. I like Nico Collins, I like John Metchie, I like Brandin Cooks - but Smith-Njigba is an alpha WR, and whoever is playing QB needs that guy.

I saw JSN single-handedly beat Allen his St year in HS. Everyone knew he was getting thrown the ball, and they still couldn’t stop him. I want him real bad. We need WR in the worst way 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

I saw JSN single-handedly beat Allen his St year in HS. Everyone knew he was getting thrown the ball, and they still couldn’t stop him. I want him real bad. We need WR in the worst way 

Honestly, I can live without a WR - but if JSN is there with any of the picks we have, take him. The only way I wouldn't want him is if the Texans are picking 1.1 (Will Anderson or a consensus rated QB - such as Stroud/Young living up to their expectations).

JSN is the BPA on offense, and unless one of the QBs stand out, he's in the discussion as first player we take.

• Like 1

My thoughts on the game. Just finished catching up with football season in full swing. 

Idc who the 9er’s had out that, that opening drive was great football by the Texans O. 

Pierce is dynamic. He’s got the vision, enough burst to get through the hole, always going forward, but patient enough. And he finishes his runs. 

AJ Cann is solid. I can’t wait to see 
Tunsil-Green-Britt-Cann-Howard trot out there in 15 days! (Warhop/Pep are making a world of difference in these guys) hoping the physicality these guys are playing with runs off on Laremy

Harrison the FB is doing his job and I love that we’re lining up in some old school I formation.

The DL has gotten solid push all preseason. Just dominating the LOS. And that’s without seeing our #1 DL Collins out there. Greenard needs to get stronger in the run game. He struggles to set the edge at times. But if he’s getting after the QB then I’ll live with it for now. (might have to buy a Hinish #69 jersey, kid is solid.)

didn’t get to see much from the secondary but the coverage by Nelson on Debo early when he was in his hip pocket was textbook. 

(Trey Lance ain’t it)

I love the direction this team is going. 3-0 is still good for these guys who have done a lot of losing lately. 

I know Mills hasn’t shown much but I fully believe with this OL, Pierce at RB, Cooks and Collins. He has enough around him to show if he’s the man or not. If he faulters, then we got QB with our 1st rounder and Edge/WR with the Browns pick.

I love what Nicky Caserole has done in 2 short years. Add 2 more stacked drafts loaded with premium picks and sprinkle in a FA signing or 2 with the cap space coming up and we could be a playoff contender as soon as next year 

• Like 1